Simply the best: Handheld logic puzzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply the best: Handheld logic puzzles

A thinly veiled recommendation thread, then! The DS and GBA are frankly perfect for logic puzzles, aren't they? But just what are your favourites?

Note: Logic puzzles, none of this Tetris/Meteos/PPL action game malarky!

Loopop Cube: Lup * Salad DS
    Obviously I love this game. I'm working on forgetting all my solutions so that I can start it again. It's so lovely, and came completely out of nowhere!

Guru Logic Champ
    Finished this yesterday. One of my favourite puzzle games ever, methinks.

Hudson Puzzle series
    Nearly the whole Hudson Puzzle series is grand, Slitherlink is another I've enjoyed, it's Nurikabe that really pulled me in, though

Chu Chu Rocket Advance
    The puzzle mode in this has some absurd number of puzzles in the thousands, brilliant!

Polarium Advance
    This I'm playing at the moment. I was dubious at first of the strange "special" blocks contained within because the DS game was much more pure, but the more I play it the more I love it. Up to the level 5 puzzles at the moment (270 or so solved) and it's getting really tricky. Extra good because you have to solve most puzzles twice, and it's quite different the second time! There's a few control issues, but on the whole, I love it

Your turn!

Prof Layton (ds)! Best logic puzzler of all time for my money.

Comment

When scarily similar lists attack! I can't add to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
        Prof Layton (ds)! Best logic puzzler of all time for my money.
        Of course! I forgot that one

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        When scarily similar lists attack! I can't add to that.
        I should have left GLC off, for you

Comment

ummm, where the hell is Picross DS?

also, mole mania, kwirk, pokemon puzzle collection? My support goes out to guru logic champ of course. that game is weird.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
            ummm, where the hell is Picross DS?
            I'm not a fan. I've owned it three times (and indeed, own it now) but I just can't get on with it. The control scheme is clumsy at best because of the zooming, and, cardinal sin: the "try it out" mode actively encourages you to guess at a solution. If a puzzle can't be solved entirely by logic, it's not worth bothering with.

Comment

I would recommend denki blocks for the gba it's a really good logic puzzle game. that will last you ages it has i think over 270 puzzle that require a lot of forward and creative thinking. i'm stuck at around 250 my brain just cant cope anymore can be picked up for next to nothing and if you see the box don't be put of thinking it a game for 3 year olds.

Comment

I was reading a review of honeycomb beat for the ds the other day and the puzzle mode in that sounded pretty decent. has and one played it and would they recommend it .

Comment

I have it, but I still haven't played it; is koro koro happy pannechu any good?

and oh thank god, the glider has arrived. Back me up on picross man.

Comment

It's not DS/GBA, but Magic Sudoku on the PSP for the picross puzzles.
                    Pic Pic for the sublime drawing game.

EDIT

I do like Picross DS, but all the zooming malarky can confuse me sometimes!
                    Last edited by The Glider; 12-11-2008, 10:06.

Comment

Originally posted by S_rank View Post
                      I would recommend denki blocks for the gba it's a really good logic puzzle game. that will last you ages it has i think over 270 puzzle that require a lot of forward and creative thinking. i'm stuck at around 250 my brain just cant cope anymore can be picked up for next to nothing and if you see the box don't be put of thinking it a game for 3 year olds.
                      Thats actually a good call! I forgot about this game, but I own it. It's a brilliant game to keep in the micro to dip in and out of.

Comment

Chokan Hitofude on the DS is good (Polarium).

Isn't Pic Pic supposed to be really good? Shame I can't find a copy.

Comment

I was reading a review of honeycomb beat for the ds the other day and the puzzle mode in that sounded pretty decent. has and one played it and would they recommend it .
                          Yep, I enjoy it, but being an obsessive puzzle collector, my opinion might not count for much.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Isn't Pic Pic supposed to be really good? Shame I can't find a copy.
                          Eurogamer gave it 10/10 on which I'd agree.
                          Last edited by The Glider; 12-11-2008, 10:13.

Comment

Ah yeah, I've got that too. I loved it at first but the later levels got reeeeally frustrating. I think I solved just enough to complete it but have no intention of going back for the harder ones!

That got confusing really quickly. I don't think I can think in hexagons. It's definately interesting though, and the way you advance through puzzles is brilliant

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                            I have it, but I still haven't played it; is koro koro happy pannechu any good?
                            I have this, I should really play it. I had a quick go and didn't really get it at all, but having no idea what I was meant to do didn't help.

Originally posted by The Glider View Post
                            It's not DS/GBA, but Magic Sudoku on the PSP for the picross puzzles.
                            Pic Pic for the sublime drawing game.
                            I want Pic-Pic, I just don't want the PAL version, I'll get the Japanese version before long if it's easy enough to get hold of!

As for the PSP, I find the loading bugs me just a bit too much to be able to enjoy a quick puzzle here and there. Immediacy is win!

Comment

Originally posted by The Glider View Post
                              Yep, I enjoy it, but being an obsessive puzzle collector, my opinion might not count for much.
                              Might have to buy it then sounded like something i would like .

Comment

Working...
                              X