Why is psn so damn slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is psn so damn slow?

I know its free and all etc blah blah, but honestly, I've just had a voice / video chat with someone and the lag was unbearable, I could hear myself about 3 or 4 seconds after I spoke, the video speed was ok I guess but on a 20mbit connection (fair enough it connects at ~8) it was pretty jerky still. I dunno, I'm getting slightly annoyed with games like SSF2THD and GTI club just generally being **** online and disconnecting or being laggy, when theres no excuse on broadband,

I know my flatmate torrents quite a bit but I specifically use the ps3 when he's out or asleep or whatever so I'm 99% sure its not my connection, its just a total pain in the arse organising online games or sending invites etc. Everything just feels like a complete afterthought.

I like the ps3 hardware and its games, but honestly, the PSN side of things and the PSN/retail online gaming netplay situation is just f**king useless.

it almost makes me want to pay for live.

But not that almost.

I'm sick of the 'bedroom server' scenario such as with LBP or home (which is terrible, mind-numbingly dull, so dull its unreal) where they release something and even after a beta test online it takes them weeks of server outages, patches, disabling features, testing and all this ****, when it should have been done before the damn thing was released. The LBP online situation was terrible. its like I'm running these services on a pentium in my spare bedroom.

bloody sort it out , jesus christ.

*explode in rage*

its got to the point where I just don't bother using voice chat or playing online, GTI club just causes my router to reboot for some stupid reason, I'm on NAT type 2 and have tried everything I can to optimize the connection and ps3 for decent network performance. it just doesn't make any difference when the service itself is to blame.

whats the point of having all these games with online play and voice chat and all this crap when you have a decent broadband connection and STILL cannot use them. I swear you need like a T1 connection to get any worth out of this service.

I'm waiting for someone to reply 'its free though' or try and justify it in some way, but honestly, its bloody bobbins.
    Last edited by kernow; 19-12-2008, 00:37.

I see you John,

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any difference between online stuff on my Mac, PC or PS3. Just tested my Mac & PC and getting just under 8MB for both, slightly faster on the Mac though.

It doesn't seem to take any longer to download stuff on the PS3 than it does on the others apart from at times when new stuff has just gone up. LBP has been fine for a while now and I don't have any problems with R2 even at around 60 players and that's with voice chat. It's even better quality with the official headset.

Comment

No problems with downloading things, demos etc come down at 1MB every 2 seconds or whatever, thats fine. Everything else sucks though.

Comment

Generally the PSN is fine for me. However when I do have problems I think my router is the source of a lot of them, I use a 5 year old Netgear router and its starting to so its age I think, with lots of PSN disconnects, or maybe its just not very compatible with the PS3?

GTi club doesn't work for me as well, but it doesn't reboot the router for me!
          I also never understand why they do beta tests for these online games as whenever they launch the games they always fall over under the strain, surely they can envisage these problems and be prepared before they launch?

Comment

I have no problems at all downloading. It is super quick. Playing online has been amazing fun, with the only game giving me trouble is GTi Club which i assume is the actual game/Sumo not PSN, as i have never EVER had a problem on any other game. I mean look at GeoW 2, Supposedly that is quite broken and you pay for LIVE! Its all down to the game servers.

CoD 4/WAW, Rock Band/2, Wipeout HD NEVER had any problems. In fact i stopped paying for Live as to me there was no difference. Im not going to pay for private chat or cross game chat. PSN is has been great.
            Last edited by Cuber001; 19-12-2008, 22:00.

Comment

has anyone been able to successfully use ps3 eye camera to video chat? i bought one for me and and another for my brother so we could chat but have never been able to chat - it initially connects then we get jerky 1 frame a sec vid then he disconnects! we both have NAT 2.

is it router dependent? or ISP dependent?

any suggestions?

online games and downloads are fine though although downloads are slower than my mac and 360.

Comment

It's definitely weird. I know a few 360 owners who moan about the speed of PSN now that they have PS3s as well. It's the other way around for me though. My 360 has been downloading Nuts n Bolts demo for hours now whereas my PS3 gets everything rapid, even brand new stuff that's on the store. Like John, I have no problem with voice comms on PS3; they're better than I get on my 360 in fact. It's gotta be some combination of ISP / router I reckon.

Comment

I give up with this online crap , I mean honestly.

laruso , yes, its bobbins

Comment

Warhawk has always been 100% perfect, and I mean I have never noticed any lag, ever... even with huge amounts of stuff going on. No server outages either.

Wipeout HD used to be crap because of the way it would pass host to someone who had apparently fallen asleep (and so would never start games) but they patched that.

LBP had a few server outages in the early weeks but nothing extreme (and nothing like as often as I became used to when I was an MMO player... FFXI would go down regularly).

PSN downloads are super fast.. the only thing that took too long for me was MGO updates, but that's outside of the PSN so doesn't count I guess.

Either it must be game specific or it's your connection?

Comment

warhawk is 100% ok , so is COD 5, in fact everything ive tried is reliable - burnout paradise, midnight club. no complaints. downloads only slightly slower than my mac, so no complaints there really.

its just the psn video chat. i have a feeling its my brothers router or isp. his online games are fine too, so i think its something to do with the specific port required for video chat and his isp or router not opening it correctly.

hes tried sony, virgin, and d-link, but a small family of squirrels seem to have more technical knowledge than the 3 of em combined!

its a shame cus i want to chat over psn with my niece but alas doesnt seem to want to happen.

can anyone confirm they have had video chat working and how good it is when it works?

Comment

yeah , no problems with warhawk here actually too, not that I've played it in 8months or so. I always remember it being fine though

Comment

Originally posted by laruso
                          its a shame cus i want to chat over psn with my niece but alas doesnt seem to want to happen.

can anyone confirm they have had video chat working and how good it is when it works?
                          I've had it working, but its always a bit slow, I dunno it was ok I guess, The sound was lagging by 2 or 3 seconds, but the video was actually alright

Comment

Are you on wi-fi?

Downloads to my PS3 were awful when I was using it, but I got an ethernet switch so that I could share the single cable coming into my room between that and the 360. Immediate improvement - firmware updates that took like 45 minutes to download and install dropped to more like 20. It's still slower than Live or a high-speed server on the computer, but like you said it's free, so whatever.

Comment

nah, wired all the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X