No announcement yet.

Why is psn so damn slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee i use wi-fi and i download things super quick. I downloaded the bioshock demo in about 35 minutes, and thats 1.3 GB. I have no complaints and think its awesome.

Comment

Like I said downloads are absolutely fine, 1MB every 1.5 seconds or so. its just ... everything else. Try a voice chat with someone or a video chat using the PS eye. its .. blegh

Comment

voice and video chat through the XMB has no relience upon PSN at all other than to set the session up. Once its setup its purely your PS-3 through the net to other users PS-3. If you have Nat or other stuff it will slow this down imensly.

Both the PS-3 and Xbox 360 wireless adaptors are utter ****e. If you haven't run an ethernet cable I strongly recommend it.

Comment

Surely everyone running a router in their house (having multiple devices and computers online) is going to be using NAT in some way or form?

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
            Surely everyone running a router in their house (having multiple devices and computers online) is going to be using NAT in some way or form?
            Yes

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
            ...If you have Nat or other stuff it will slow this down imensly
            Why?

@kernow - I suspect it is your ISP throttling traffic, its just more obvious with real-time services (like VOIP).

Comment

ah, maybe, at least its an idea.

I still don't understand why GTI club is basically unplayable online, it'll lock my router up for a second, not reboot it, and then fail at trying to join, or SSF2HD remix will work fine for 5 matches at most then you'll just get frequent disconnects etc until you just give up trying. I did hear the US version of that is dodgy when online, when on a euro PSN account though as you're supposed to play it on the account you downloaded it with apparently, and as it was a game share I can't really do that.

I find it strange how some are perfectly playable such as warhawk though, and others...not at all.

Comment

Re GTI Club, I've not played it but the comments people have made about it in this thread make it sound like the network code is broken... If it's making routers hang/reboot then the game could be sending malformed/corrupt packets.

The only online PS3 game I have is SSF2THDR, I get disconnected now and again but at the end of the day I have a consumer internet connection (Virgin 2Mb) with no QoS, it's not going to be perfect all the time.

Comment

SSF2THDR (what a mouthful, woah) is bugged to hell and back too, it practically never saves controls and you'll enter an online match, then realise the controls have defaulted, and you can't even change them from the pause menu. hah.

You'd think people would test something as simple as wether the save function for controls actually works or not. blah

Comment

Yeah, I had that a couple of times, now I check the control config everytime I start the game.

Given the length of the development time and the bugs in the released game, I think they had some serious development problems.

Comment

I would put it down to the servers running the games personally, or the game net code itself.
                      And of course wireless plays its part. I get around 60% wireless connection around 6 feet away from my orange box (2 walls though) and the average 1 gig demo takes around an hour. Ethernet straight into the router though and its down to 15 mins. Same speeds for 360 as well, wireless and wired.

So the moral of the story is, for online gaming and downloading, Ethernet is the best way to go.

Im going to get one of these next year for my ps3, will sort all the gaming connection woes out. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/110264

Comment

Admittedly I've only had the thing for a few days, but my online experience with the PS3 has been better than the 360. Downloads seem much quicker, and I haven't had any lag while playing Resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae View Post
                          Both the PS-3 and Xbox 360 wireless adaptors are utter ****e. If you haven't run an ethernet cable I strongly recommend it.
                          I have to disagree re: the PS3 wireless - it's wizzo fast and extremely reliable. The only time I ever get any probs with it is if I leave my PS3 on for days without using it, but even then all I need to do is turn it off and back on again and it is fine - an ethernet cable is certainly not required!

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                            I have to disagree re: the PS3 wireless - it's wizzo fast and extremely reliable. The only time I ever get any probs with it is if I leave my PS3 on for days without using it, but even then all I need to do is turn it off and back on again and it is fine - an ethernet cable is certainly not required!
                            Sorry dood but you may think that but its not true. I've installed Linux on a few PS-3s and done heavy performance testing and the wireless adaptor is flakey as hell. Could be different for different versions of hardware, so far I've tested a launch day US console 60G version, Launch day UK console 60G version and 40 gig UK version all of the wireless adapators performed bad.

Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by belmondo View Post
                              Yes

Why?

@kernow - I suspect it is your ISP throttling traffic, its just more obvious with real-time services (like VOIP).

Why - because when you use NAT the router has to re-write every single packet that you send out. When you use video this has a significant impact on the routers CPU. For most people there isn't much they can do about it but make sure that you're set up is as optimal as you can make it. Use Draytech, Netgear, or DLINK routers as they seem to cope with NAT translation alot better than most others.

I'd be very surprised if an ISP is throttling anything other than well known P2P protocols but you could be right.

Regards,
                              Neil.
                              [top techy at very large Telco/ISP]

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae View Post
                                Sorry dood but you may think that but its not true. I've installed Linux on a few PS-3s and done heavy performance testing and the wireless adaptor is flakey as hell. Could be different for different versions of hardware, so far I've tested a launch day US console 60G version, Launch day UK console 60G version and 40 gig UK version all of the wireless adapators performed bad.

Neil.
                                I've not installed linux, but have found the the same with my launch US 60GB. The wireless is awful. I can't stream film/music without delays. Over the ethernet it's fine.

The 360 manages the same films over wireless, hardly a hiccup.

That said, the PS3 has a Gb ethernet and that is way faster for copying files than the 360 10/100 Nic over 5e.

Comment

Working...
                                X