No announcement yet.

Anyone else this poorly motivated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have this problem with last-gen and retro stuff, hence I've trimmed right down and rarely buy another games without finishing one first . That said I had to give up on Dead Rising and Devil May Cry 4 and am currently playing Little Big Planet, Dead Space and Kingdom Hearts 2, and have just started Fallout 3, so not sure whether I'll ever see the end of that.
    My problem isn't so much playing to finish but replay value, I wanted to replay okami to get all the beads but after a couple of hours got bored and haven't played it since - it's horses for courses I guess.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

My main problem is I buy too many games, and if I get stuck on somthing i generaly go and start somthing else, rarley going back to games I was stuck on.

Also somtimes I just get bored of a game for no reason other than I am possibley insane, GTA 4 is a game i will never finished, the metriod prime games are others that I cant see myself every going back too, these are good games but I just cant be botehgered to play them and I'm not really sure why, I couldnt even be bothered with Fallout 3 and I was loving it at one point, its just strange... especialy considering I completed Haze the other day

Comment

I find I suffer from gamer's remorse more and more. It started with online games and pokemon type grindathons - the feeling that because there wasn't a clear satisfying end I had wasted hours of my life. But I'm finding I'm getting it with almost any game now. When I get to the end, if I didn't think it was an absolutely stunning unmissable experience, I think of what I could have done with those hours that actually would have contributed to making a better life for myself.

Game guilt. The feeling of the stagnation of my real life while I conquer utterly pointless challenges by pressing some buttons for hours.

Anyway, back to Fable 2...

Comment

Ever since I started work in a computer game shop (a job I?ve been at for far to long now) I've been buying more games and have been completing or even playing less. Some games I?ve only put a few hours into if that and put it into my never ending ?will play later? pile.

I've changed my buying/ playing behavior now and although I buy a lot less games now I pretty much play each of them to the finish, or close to (with the exception of MGS4 which I've barely played). I only buy games I know I'll have time and motivation to play now so although I still have an unbelievable backlog of games I can't be bothered playing right now I put serious time into the ones I get now. As it turns out I?ve focused my attention into RPG?s more than anything else and am now feeling a little guilty about the games I haven?t picked up.

I?ve yet to buy Burnout Paradise despite being a huge fan of the previous games but I barely scratched the surface of Dominator on PS2. Over the Christmas period I?ve only brought and played Fable 2 and Fallout 3 despite a wealth of games that look interesting. In the end though this approach is working for me and is a lot cheaper than buying every game I?d like to play. I?m in my second play through both games and have spent over 160 hours playing Fallout. If only I waited a few weeks for the games I did buy for the half price offers.

Comment

I have quite the stack of unfinished games across the gens, but it doesnt really bother me TBH- That is to say, its not a lack of motivation thats stopping me completing them, more a lack of time. I get super excited when a new game is due, and play it solidly for a while, then get all guilty and go back to working my socks off.

In the meantime another release pops up, and the cycle starts again. I try to avoid doubling up on genres though- i didnt get the orange box until i'd finished bioshock, for example.

But i dont know if that way of gaming would appeal to anyone- the way i see it, if i suddenly get an urge to shoot things up, and i only have one FPS- that one will get finished eventually, even if i only ever look at it once every couple of months.

Comment

I tend to always have an RPG on the go and I also pop in anything else for some no nonsense gaming fun. Something like Mario Kart, WRC, R-Type anything really.

Comment

I stopped playing games about 6 months ago. I used to be really into it, and working in a game shop, surrounded by the latest games I couldnt help but pick up the latest titles and play them, even though I rarely finished any.

But during the summer, I got really bored of it. And having returned from holiday went straight into postgrad studies, hooked up with my girlfriend and now literally have no time for playing games.

Maybe in a few years once Im settled down I might be able to get back to gaming.

Comment

I love gaming, that is all (well not really).

I somehow manage to fit in gaming with work, going out.....it's a miracle.
                  Last edited by ezee ryder; 30-12-2008, 22:21.

Comment

Even though I don't play games as much I used to, I still love gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                      Did you have the same problems in the last gen? Are there other things you are more into in your life? For me it was cars a few years back and really dropped away from gaming until I had to see up to buy a sensible car.

Maybe you just don't enjoy the games you have got.
                      This was exactly the same for me. I got into cars for about 2 years or so but really hard. Before i got back into gaming which was because of MGS4, the last game i bought was Gears Of War. Played 2 levels and never went back.

Comment

I never finish most games I play thesedays, mainly because they're all wank and not worth the time in the first place.

I don't even buy them anymore, I just borrow them, take the piss out of them, then hand them back after 8-10hrs.

Give me a good game though and I'll cane it, I might even spread out the experience by rationing my playtime if it's something short lived such as Metroid or Resi. If I'm on a good RPG I'll spend pretty much 90% of my time outside of work on it.

Arcade games I can cane also. I really wish I loved vertical shooters as much as I love horizontal ones, then I could get a really nice cab and a few PCBs for a worthy 1p experience.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Reaching the last boss counts as completing a game

Metroid Prime, Jet Force Gemini for example...
                        lololol, excuses excuses Charlie boy.
                        Last edited by dataDave; 01-01-2009, 12:28.

Comment

I think another reason for my original post is that I lose my temper with games too easily. I lost my patience with DMC4 earlier; that bit in the Torture Chamber in Fortuna Castle. Lame.

Comment

I complete around 95% of the games I buy and believe it's largely down to never buying/starting a new game 'til I've completed what I'm currently playing. By doing that I find I enjoy games much more and am able to immerse myself into them fully without half a mind to switch over to another partly-played game.

Comment

Working...
                            X