An arcade stick thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
    Just need the art sorted and I'll be all set to get underway..!
    Spags, I'm looking to do the same, where can we get the art from? What was your shopping list in the end mate? (And supplier)

Cheers!

Comment

For art there are some peeps over at SRK forum who take requests - then you just need to print it out & turn it into a sticker (something that seems easy in the states through Fed Ex office, but not so easy in the UK - maybe you have something similar round your way?).

I'm happy with the stick on the EX2 so not touching that (yet...) so here was my shopping list:

360 EX2 Stick x1 - £20 - Amazon I think...
      Sanwa Buttons OBSF-30 x6 - £10.20 - Gremlin
      Sanwa Ball Top X1 - £4.00 - Gremlin
      Soldering Iron (with stand and solder) x1 - £20 - Maplins
      Solder Sucker x1 - £8 - Maplins
      Art - probably get this sorted at work for free...

The Gremlin prices seem a bit steep in retrospect and the Sucker is proper overkill for what I'll be using it for, but hey ho! Gonna mod my PS3 stick if this one goes OK and maybe do a few more after that if I get a taste for it...otherwise there will be a soldering iron and sucker going up for sale!XD
      Last edited by spagmasterswift; 02-03-2009, 11:30.

Comment

I still havent heard squat from gremlin

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
          I still havent heard squat from gremlin
          seems like alot of people are in the same boat. it could probably be they ran out of stock again and not confirm it to the public/buyers.

Comment

@ Jurassic: That artwork looks wicked!

@ Spag: So does that mean you can do the mod without removing the art at all? I'm seriously considering selling off my Madcatz SE stick and just keeping an EX2 and modding that with the sanwa parts whenever Gremlin gets round to doing them. My SE's back in the box right now

Comment

If you are going to put in Sanwa buttons then you need to file the nubs off the holes in the EX2 plate, the original art is over the screws so unless you are happy to cut the art to access the screws you may as well remove it completely and replace it or spray the plate...

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                @ Jurassic: That artwork looks wicked!

@ Spag: So does that mean you can do the mod without removing the art at all? I'm seriously considering selling off my Madcatz SE stick and just keeping an EX2 and modding that with the sanwa parts whenever Gremlin gets round to doing them. My SE's back in the box right now
                So you're not liking the SE? Would modding it not make it more usable?

Comment

Yes, it would, but I put my order in at Gremlin last Monday and I doubt I'll see/hear anything from them for at least a week or two

Comment

Are Gremlin the cheapest in the UK for parts Billy?

I'm still undecided whether to add an octagonal restrictor to the stick, seems a bit overkill but as I'm going to be opening the stick up anyway...

Has anyone done it and is it worth the extra effort involved?

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                      Yes, it would, but I put my order in at Gremlin last Monday and I doubt I'll see/hear anything from them for at least a week or two
                      Ah fair dues mate. Take it it's actually unusable as it is then? Is it not even as good as a non-modded DC stick?

Comment

Originally posted by Jurassic View Post

I'm still undecided whether to add an octagonal restrictor to the stick, seems a bit overkill but as I'm going to be opening the stick up anyway...

Has anyone done it and is it worth the extra effort involved?
                        I did, and it was horrible. Put the square gate back in.

Probably depends on what you're used to, but the throw was much too long for me with the octagonal restrictor, and I couldn't pull off moves or dashes anywhere near as accurately as I can with the square. Changing them is dead simple, though (they just clip on), so it's easy to try both if you don't mind risking the price.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                          I did, and it was horrible. Put the square gate back in.

Probably depends on what you're used to, but the throw was much too long for me with the octagonal restrictor, and I couldn't pull off moves or dashes anywhere near as accurately as I can with the square. Changing them is dead simple, though (they just clip on), so it's easy to try both if you don't mind risking the price.
                          Thanks for the info, I'll maybe pick one up and see which I prefer. I don't have much of a problem with the square but if its an easy swap it can't harm to try both.

Comment

£8 for a solder sucker? I paid £2.79 off ebay including postage

I see gremlins prices have gone up (again) too, £4 for a balltop. Daylight robbery.

Comment

They call it a solder sucker for a reason!

Comment

Originally posted by kyo_244 View Post
                                Ah fair dues mate. Take it it's actually unusable as it is then? Is it not even as good as a non-modded DC stick?
                                It's not unusable, but it's nowhere near ?70. You're basically paying a premium to have a field day swapping buttons and sticks out without having to do anything even remotely interesting. The buttons feel rubbish and the stick is hilarious. I superglued the dodgy washer as per the guides. Having said that, I managed to finish the game on medium with Ryu using about 6 or 7 continues so it's not that it's unusable or anything. I'd expect to pay about ?20 for it if it weren't for the easy modding capabilites, really.

Originally posted by Jurassic View Post
                                I don't think so, but I don't know of any other suppliers in the UK. I looked around on a few forums to see if any private sellers had a bunch of bits for sale but couldn't find any so just went with Gremlin. People use Lizard Lick and Akihabara Shop but both are pretty much inundated with backlogs anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X