No announcement yet.

An arcade stick thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the black/white/green/red is your USB cable - I'd check all connections there first. Remove that glob of glue and give the cable a wiggle and see if much happens.

Comment

Thought I'd ask here; does anyone have a very cheap arcade stick for sale? Like maybe something poor, but passable as a "gateway drug", like maybe a Hori EX2?

I know they're not the best but I used it for a long time without too many problems before I bought a TE. I have a friend who's interested in getting one, and wants to start off small.

Comment

Time to start rebuilding....

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Thought I'd ask here; does anyone have a very cheap arcade stick for sale? Like maybe something poor, but passable as a "gateway drug", like maybe a Hori EX2?

I know they're not the best but I used it for a long time without too many problems before I bought a TE. I have a friend who's interested in getting one, and wants to start off small.
          You'd be better off trying to grab a SF4 SE. Then they can easily swap in good parts later. The EX2 is a mare to mod.

@Colin: Octo gate? NOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Don't panic, the stick came with a gate but I thought I'd try the octo out too. The site said they were good for fighting games, I take it not?

Comment

Slightly off topic but this seems like the best thread to ask; I'd really like to pad hack a megadrive pcb into a Wii arcade stick but I've no idea where to start. Are there any decent tutorials online?

I've swapped samwa buttons into a Hori stick but I've never actually soldered anything so I reckon that I've a fair bit to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Don't panic, the stick came with a gate but I thought I'd try the octo out too. The site said they were good for fighting games, I take it not?
                Hate them myself. Might be good for the likes of Zangief though.

Originally posted by thetrooper View Post
                Slightly off topic but this seems like the best thread to ask; I'd really like to pad hack a megadrive pcb into a Wii arcade stick but I've no idea where to start. Are there any decent tutorials online?

I've swapped samwa buttons into a Hori stick but I've never actually soldered anything so I reckon that I've a fair bit to learn!
                Best resource I can link you to is Here. This one should be especially relevant.

If it seems a bit overwhelming for you I'd be happy to do it.

Slagcoin makes for a very good read though if you're interested in arcade sticks at all!
                Last edited by speedlolita; 11-07-2014, 14:20.

Comment

This is my first post in this thread so I might as well post what sticks I have.

Hori EX2, picked it up in Gamestation when Marvel 3 came out for ?25, I know it's not a great stick and it has it's issues like button sticking which I fixed by shoving a bunch of kitchen sponges into the shell to push the buttons on and stop them sticking. I never get to play my 360 anymore after my brother abducted it when I moved to university so I just use it to play fighting games casually on my PC, mainly Guilty Gear X2 #Reload.

I picked this PS1 stick up from a carboot for like a fiver, it's rubbish and I will probably get rid of it in the near future.

This Hori PS1 stick I got for a decentish price because the light rusting on the underside turned all the bidders off. It's an alright stick I guess, heavier than it looks which is a positive, I think the stick itself is a bit too short though.

I bought these because I'm a massive Gamecube fanboy, I like the design and they feel decent but they are kind of pointless when you think about it. The library of games you could play on it are limited to the likes of Soul Calibur II, Capcom vs SNK 2, Bloody Roar, Guilty Gear on the Wii, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Ikaruga, Wii Virtual Console games and any emulators you can get your hands on.
                  Again I think they are nice sticks they are just limited by the system they were built for. When looking at the games the only two on my list that are only on Nintendo systems are tatsunoko vs capcom and the version of Soul Calibur II with Link in it. They feel like collector pieces more than anything. They are probably better if you are a shump player than a figthing game player with some of the Japan exclusive shooters released on the gamecube and wii.

Comment

I think you'd have to really hate the stock stick to go to the hassle involved in replacing everything in one of these, as it's taken me quite a while today, but totally worth it. The funny thing is, I didn't care what stick I used at one point, but after using proper arcade components I find it hard to have a stick without them.

Comment

Very nice Colin. I'm almost tempted to grab another and shove my PS360+ into it. While being lightweight I find the Agetec stick to be the most comfortable to use while still being compact.

Comment

Worth doing Speedy, it's only really the case modifications for the stick and buttons which are particularly time consuming.

Comment

Oh yes I've done it before. Last time I was using a round file though, I've since bought a Dremel 3000 that I have yet to use...

Comment

Doesn't surprise me you've done it before.

Funnily enough, it was actually a Dremel 3000 I used today, still a lot of faffing about though instead of the usual straight swap.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Hate them myself. Might be good for the likes of Zangief though.

Best resource I can link you to is Here. This one should be especially relevant.

If it seems a bit overwhelming for you I'd be happy to do it.

Slagcoin makes for a very good read though if you're interested in arcade sticks at all!
                              Many thanks, I'll check it out!

I might take you up on your offer though........

Comment

I recently bought my first stick. A NeoGeo Stick 3, Ougi version (the Mai Shiranui themed edition)

I've been having a whale of a time with it emulating a raft of NeoGeo titles, and I've got an old 360 I'm digging out for some more modern CAVE action. While some may think that the layout is not great for shmups, I've found it very comfortable so far while playing an emulated version of ESP Ra De.

Comment

Working...
                                X