No announcement yet.

Bordersdown's Super Ultimate "Best DS Games Ever" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With reference to my first post, I'm considering getting either GTA:CW or Henry Hatsworth. Which would you say was best for travel? Thanks for all the replies, BTW!

Comment

Thanks for starting this informative thread. After I went on holiday a few weeks ago I finally had some time to play on my DS again (mostly Phoenix Wright which I still have not finished) and quite enjoyed the experience. Which had me wondering why I've neglected the DS so much. So after wondering which new games to pick up I stumbled upon this thread.

Right now I've ordered a couple of games (Anno 1701, Henry Hatsworth, Apollo Justice (still have to finish the final two Phoenix games first)) from your list together with Broken Sword and Retro Game Challenge.

I wanted more, but I already went a little insane with the amount of games ordered ;-)

But what's the general opinion on Broken Sword on the DS? Retro Gamer magazine was quite enthusiastic about it and 100 years ago I played the game on PC and really enjoyed it (but got stuck at some point).

I was also wondering about Space Invaders Extreme 2. I heard/read it was even better than the first one. Too bad it's only released in JPN. Should I eventually get nr 2 or get the (cheaper and easier to get) US/EU first edition?

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
        With reference to my first post, I'm considering getting either GTA:CW or Henry Hatsworth. Which would you say was best for travel? Thanks for all the replies, BTW!
        Hmm... depends how you're travelling. What I've found with GTA is that even at 4 brightness you'll struggle to see what's going on in daylight because of the amount of small detail and it's also hard to see when it's night time in the game. You might find yourself with your nose 2 inches from the screen, which may be a bit embarrassing on public transport. But at least you can use buttons and your thumb instead of the stylus.
        I haven't played a lot of HH but would suggest its bolder graphics are more suited to travelling and daylight.
        Last edited by vertigo; 18-06-2009, 18:22.

Comment

I still have to update this for a few posts back, but before I do and with the Christmas releases all pretty much released now, any suggestions for new entries into the list?

New Layton and Mario&Luigi, certainly, I guess! Let me know why you're recommending games if you want your text in the original posts

Comment

Probably the phoenix wright series, they are just so awesome, make you laugh make you cry, make you stand up and yell objection.
            The story is incredible and the links between characters surprisingly deep and interwoven.
            And the characters, you have to love them, great cast, great music, long play hours, test your mind and emotions. Love um

(incoherent rambling post)

Comment

They're there already

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                They're there already
                sweet

damn this thread has just reminded me how awesome the DS is actually

Comment

I'd replace Partners in Time with Bowser's Inside Story, now that it's out. It's a better game in my opinion.

Comment

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum for the win!

Everyone loves pokemon and Diamond brought back the love with pokemon like Purugly and Probopass...

Wait, that's not the reason... The storyline stayed much the same but little editions such as palpark and a reasonably powerful elite four (good for grinding) made it all worth while. It also restored lost hope for the starter pokemon after Swampert and Blaziken killed us in the last games...

This or Kirby Squeak Squad gets my vote (or Pheonix Wright).

Or Mario and Luigi. Or Fire Emblem. Or NSMB.

CURSES this thread has reminded me of so many epic ds games! Oh to choose which is the best...
                    Last edited by Ragnar004; 29-11-2009, 09:33.

Comment

In answer to my earlier question, both of those games (GTA and Hatsworth) are fairly suitable to travel, although GTA is, surprisingly, far from frustrating whereas Hatsworth is more difficult and incredibly repetitive, so can frustrate.

I'd go as far as to say that GTA is the best travel game I've played on a handheld (not that I play that many).

Comment

I think Kirby Super Star Ultra should be on the list just for being such great value for money, there's so many kirby games built in its incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                          Nobody wanted to accept responsibility for this one, but the Metacritic score and opinions from elsewhere online suggest it?s a great buy. A great buy at your own risk!
                          I can vouch for Korg DS-10. It's ridiculously comprehensive - so much to fiddle with it can be overwhelming at first. That said, it's easy enough for a beginner to get their own tunes going almost immediately and is so jam-packed that even experts will be doing new stuff with it for ages. Almost worth it just for the KAOSS pad alone. Hours and hours are easily lost. Brilliant stuff. Both myself and my son have a copy each. I can't recommend it enough.

Comment

yoshi island ds, super princess peach,sonic rush ? for platformers
                            Last edited by yesteryeargames; 29-11-2009, 13:33.

Comment

Could do with an update for the new games in the Prof. Layton / Castlevania series perhaps?

Other than that, how about Contra IV? Personally I'd recommend Flower, Sun, Rain, but that is admittedly not for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                                yoshi island ds, super princess peach,sonic rush ? for platformers
                                tetris ds should deffo be in the puzzle section
                                Tetris DS absolutely should not be in the puzzle section!

Are those platformers better than the games that are there?

Comment

Working...
                                X