Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSVita (Successor to PSP, was PSP2 then NGP)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be in Sony's favour to get the hype train going just before the 3DS launch.

Comment

They will have to counter it with some photos and interesting features though. I doubt the world will go crazy if Sony will announce a PSP+phone with touchscreen.

Comment

I'm really hoping they don't go the phone route. Would love to see them build on the PSPGo design, slightly larger, higher res screen.

The biggest danger for Sony is that the 3DS will have enough power for all the RPGs and niche games to appear on it throughout its life. The PSP is having such a surge in popularity because of how limited the graphics are on the DS.

Comment

"Confirmed" by VG247 "sources" that it's due for release at the end of next year. Makes sense, gives them some breathing room from the 3DS launch and allows them to show it at E3 for the first time.

Comment

Going to be interesting to see what they do with the console. It'll need to be well in front of the 3DS in terms of power but it'll also need to provide a compelling reason to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
              they'd be much better to wait till they have a solid lineup of near final impressive titles
              Do they have that yet for the PSP1 even?

Mine still has Ridge Racers in it.

Despite that, everyone in Singapore seems to have one over a DS (Including myself). I've seen exactly two people with DSs here, compared to about 9,000 PSP owners.

Comment

Indeed. I think it's nothing short of a miracle that the PSP has sold over 60 million units given how utterly barren the software catalogue is, despite being 6 years old.

Comment

I really should make a cut out template for PSP threads.

Comment

Originally posted by bcass View Post
                    Indeed. I think it's nothing short of a miracle that the PSP has sold over 60 million units given how utterly barren the software catalogue is, despite being 6 years old.
                    Yarrrr!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcass View Post
                      It's not really that hard too see why it's done so well in Asia though as theres still plenty of releases coming out tailored to that market. I love my PSP, it's got more decent games than a lot of people give it credit for and theres already been a few AAA titles released for it this year that have gotten a western release.

Just a shame a large pecentage of it's userbase don't like paying for their games which results in devs dropping the platform.

Comment

To be fair the PSP is one of those rare devices thats actually performing better when its being pirated. Much more options, no UMD noise, shorter load times, more battery life.. etc. Usually the devoted buyer gets the short end of the stick when it comes to the PSP.

Comment

Around the time of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony held a private meeting at its offices in Tokyo's Aoyama. The purpose was to show off the PSP2.

'HD' screen, bigger than the current PSP, touchscreen on the back, batterylife/overheating issues are currently a problem.

Screen info is new (although it was always going to be higher res than the PSP1), the rest is all stuff that's been rumoured.

Still holds true to it containing Tegra2+/3

Comment

I did wonder if Sony would go the 3D route and take on Nintendo, or use a touchscreen and take on Apple (since I find it hard to believe that Sony would include 2 screens, I saw it as an either-or situation). It sounds like by taking the touchscreen approach whilst touting the HD element (assuming it's is actually proper HD), they're attempting to differenciate themselves from Apple.

The fact that Apple update their products annually makes me wonder if Sony is doing the right thing by taking on Apple instead of Nintendo, since they can hardly do yearly refreshes of the PSP2. I can't see the industry adapting to that (Nintendo may have appeared to release multiple versions of the DS in succession, but the core technology has remained pretty much the same, aside from the DSi having a tad more grunt).
                            Last edited by sj33; 25-10-2010, 12:29.

Comment

Please let it have two analog sticks or similar, but preferably not nubs.

Comment

Here's hoping there's no mechanical media - these no need in these days of flash-based card storage. I can't see them taking a digital-only approach, physical retailers still have too much control over the industry, and the PSPgo has soured many people of the idea (publishers enforing RRP, for example).

Comment

Working...
                                X