This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Again, I reiterate - the DS has been around for over five years. We've all played Mario 64 with it. Metroid Prime Hunters. Scribblenauts. You're describing it as if we haven't seen this revolutionary 'pen-like object' you describe. The other (and more important) learning curve associated with that is with developers learning what control methods suit the available options of the DS and what don't.
    I think we are speaking past each other a little bit, because the only times I imagine the stylus will feel new, or give people a learning curve is when it is used alongside a physical input to control the character. Unlike Mario where you either ran with the stylus or the d-pad (not both). Unlike Scribblenauts where you only controlled the character on a 2D-plane. The only example there that speaks my case is the Metroid one. There you use the inputs just like you do in Kid Icarus. And that game DID HAVE A LEARNING CURVE, and those who have played that game extensively, will probably feel a lot better in Kid Icarus.

To summarize:
    In that - or similar - case, the shape of the stylus will make the game a bit harder to play, as people are more used to two analog sticks, and not a combination of one and a stylus. It's all based on our motor skills, that have gotten used to using a stylus by itself, or two sticks, but few of us (except those who played MP Hunters or the CoD games NDS) have much experience using a analog stick with the stylus at the same time. It will for most people feel like doing two separate things.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
      I'm just saying that having only one analog input has been the norm for generations now
      Dual Shock on PS1. PS2. PS3. XBox. 360. Gamecube. The wrongness is staggering.

And, on wrongness, Mario did require physical input aswell, as did many other DS games.

Comment

Dual Shock on PS1. PS2. PS3. XBox. 360. Gamecube. The wrongness is staggering.
        No reason to make this hostile, I'm merely here to discuss. My wording could have been clearer, my apologies.

What I meant:
        It has been normal on many different consoles to only have one analog stick, and in all of those cases it has been placed on the left side of the controller/gaming device.

Comment

And yet for three generations, dual analogue controls have in fact been the norm. So it doesn't seem so 'naive' to think Nintendo might follow suit. As for hostility, if that's how I came across, I do apologise. Just trying to correct misinformation. Tone is hard to get across on the net. And the truth is, I did actually find the wrongness staggering given we're all fairly seasoned gamers here.

Comment

And, on wrongness, Mario did require physical input aswell, as did many other DS games.
            Yes, for jumping and such. But not in the same grade as Metroid Prime Hunters did. If you had played the game I'm sure you would understand what I feel I have strived to communicate now.

Once again I quote Eurogamer, who led me to this assumption in the first place:
            "Meanwhile your hands have to cope with using three implements simultaneously - the Circle Pad, stylus and shoulder button. On first picking up the game, it all feels a bit tricky and awkward. Things get easier with only a little practice, however, and shooting enemies soon becomes quite satisfying."

I nothing more than assumed this was the reason many people had "problems" with Kid Icarus. If you do not think that's the case, fine. But this is getting rather tiring, even more so for the other people reading the thread I would guess.

Comment

It has been normal on many different consoles to only have one analog stick, and in all of those cases it has been placed on the left side of the controller/gaming device.
              I can only think of one, the Dreamcast.

Comment

The pricing seems to have worked out pretty high for me in Euros. Seems to be running an average of around €260-270 here. If I was to buy US, not including shipping. It would be around €185. That is a fairly sickening difference. Bizarrely play.com have their Euro price set at €308. Not quite sure how they arrived at that figure. Has to be a miscalculation.

Personally, I was expecting around €250 anyway so it's not much more on top but knowing the US price is a bit of a kick in the pants. Well, nothing new I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                  I can only think of one, the Dreamcast.
                  I would claim that the N64 one is on the left too. And then you have the Saturn/Nights, Neo Geo, all the Gameparks and the PSP's.

Comment

I have put down for a JPN unit at Play-Asia, but if the final price comes out anywhere near NCSX's ($459) then I may back off until there's more software that catches my interest.

Comment

Probably been discussed previously, but does anyone know if people with eyesight problems will struggle forming a 3D image? I'm an astigmatism sufferer and now that I think about it am somewhat concerned that the 3DS will be wasted on me. I can make out 3D images from films like Avatar and Toy Story 3 just fine when I saw them on Imax, but on the other hand, watching movies like Centre of the Earth on blu-ray with the crappy glasses or playing Arkham Asylum GOTY had very little to no noticeable effect on me.

Comment

All of you importing a JPN unit: Do you read and speak the language well? If not some of the games could be unplayable. Can't imagine playing Paper Mario without fully understanding what is said.

Comment

How do you do that Adrian? I've tried, but you can't get past checkout as the item doesn't exist. It wants to charge me shipping though. Can't I just add myself to the waiting list?
                          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 20-01-2011, 22:02.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                            Probably been discussed previously, but does anyone know if people with eyesight problems will struggle forming a 3D image? I'm an astigmatism sufferer and now that I think about it am somewhat concerned that the 3DS will be wasted on me. I can make out 3D images from films like Avatar and Toy Story 3 just fine when I saw them on Imax, but on the other hand, watching movies like Centre of the Earth on blu-ray with the crappy glasses or playing Arkham Asylum GOTY had very little to no noticeable effect on me.
                            As your eyes will see to separate images on the 3DS, I imagine it to be much closer to the experience you had at IMAX.

Comment

All of you importing a JPN unit: Do you read and speak the language well? If not some of the games could be unplayable. Can't imagine playing Paper Mario without fully understanding what is said.
                              You realise this is an import site yers? The unplayable games don't get played. Simples.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                                You realise this is an import site yers? The unplayable games don't get played. Simples.
                                Yes I do, but how does that answer my question?

On the DS and on prior Nintendo handhelds I could choose what games to import or not, but now it's a much bigger commitment. That's the reason I won't import, games like Zelda, Paper Mario, Professor Layton are too much to give up. Unless you plan to have two consoles, which I don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X