Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The digital foundry article is a bit stupid really.

That kind of pseudo 3D is entirely software in nature (although improved by motion sensors). Why name an entire console around something that only a very small minority of games will feature?

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
      I think the DS has been responsible for many changes within the industry and in hardware design as such as the Wii and opening the door for the massive expansions etc that we have seen but taking away the sea of simple or mini-game titles that are on the system (which some like Layton can be fun for a while) and I've found that the pandering to the new audience games has led to some of the weakest entries in many series that have been seen. Mario Kart DS, NSMB etc? No thanks. It's certainly not a DS exclusive situation as the the system is very much the Wii's sibling.
      Each to their own but many consider Mario kart DS nearer the top of the series rather than the bottom, it's clearly much better than Double dash and MKWii.

Comment

Give me Advance Wars in 3D and I'll get one.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
          Give me Advance Wars in 3D and I'll get one.
          Leave Advance Wars in 2D and I'd still get one!

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
            it's clearly much better than Double dash and MKWii.
            Touche!

Comment

Wonder if in the next day or two we're going to see some game pics or there's solid hardware info leaked. There must be a reason why Nintendo sent out such a low key press release on a random Tuesday. They must be pre-empting something.

Wonder what this means for 2D gaming on the handheld?

Also: expect this thing to be region locked

Comment

All I can think about is playing Red Alarm without needing 6 AA batteries and a desk to sit my Virtual Boy on. Give the 3DS a GB/GBC/VB virtual console and the ability to share your Wii one for non-N64 consoles and I'll die even happier. As it is, I'll die happy.

For me the DS has been a massive success, with so many different games that I've enjoyed over the last 5/6 years. This news has kind of killed my desire to get a DSi LL though.

Comment

I think they've easily lost 5 figure sales of the DS following this announcement, especially as it'll hit pretty much every major news outlet.

Comment

^Indeed, this is a very strange announcement. It's the kind of thing that would steal the show at E3 - it seems strange to announce it now (and so quietly) if they're reportedly not releasing it until Spring 2011. I can see the release being this side of Christmas, unless they want a very dry Christmas period.

3D without the glasses sounds cool, even if it's probably using an older implementation of 3D. I'm genuinely interested.

Comment

New Pokémon is out in Japan this Christmas, Nintendo aren't gonna go poor.

Comment

Additional (unconfirmed) info printed by Nikkei:

日本経済新聞の電子版。日経や日経BPの提供する経済、企業、国際、政治、マーケット、情報・通信、社会など各分野のニュース。ビジネス、マネー、IT、スポーツ、住宅、キャリアなどの専門情報も満載。

- analog stick
                        - vibration pack
                        - tilt sensor under decision
                        - wireless connection speed up
                        - battery life up
                        - smaller than 4" screen

Bear in mind they correctly pre-empted the DSi and DS XL. It's possible they're bang on with this info again hence Nintendo getting the press release out.

Analogue stick, battery life and vibration pack are probably the biggest surprises there. Any Japanese readers able to tell from the context if they mean 'just under 4" ' or 'any size under 4" '?

Comment

Analogue stick?, don't be a bloody tease Nintendo, just stop it.

Comment

I hope the analogue stick doesn't result in them ditching the clamshall design. I prefer the SP over the Micro purely because of this. Something like the PSP's nub design would allow them to keep the clamshall design of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                              Something like the PSP's nub design.
                              Oh dear god no. Please, anything but that.

It's perfectly possible to do a proper analogue stick in the clamshell design. It just needs a hole in the top half to nestle in.

Comment

Wow, another version of the DS. As cool as it sounds, doesn't this model make both the DSi and DSi XL pretty much pointless?! The XL was only released a few months ago, what was the point of that?! I'm confused.
                                Last edited by ezee ryder; 23-03-2010, 15:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X