No announcement yet.

UK sales charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its deffinitley in large part to do with men just not liking to dance, lets face it, if youre doing it for fun and not just to pull a bird then its a pretty poncy passtime.

When I go out I never dance, I just stand in the corner with my pint and leer at people.... not that thats a better passtime I suppose, but its one I'm more comfertable taking part in .

Comment

I've always had a pre-requisite for dancing. I have to be slaughtered to the point that I won't remember any of it (Like how much of a twat I made of myself) the next day.

I usually make enough of a twat of myself without dancing. This is why I don't drink very often.

Comment

You know they say that your performance on the dance floor is much like your performance in bed....... And the ladies like a guy who can ahem 'jive'.......

Comment

Yeah, I don't do that unless I'm hammered either. It lessens the embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
            You know they say that your performance on the dance floor is much like your performance in bed....... And the ladies like a guy who can ahem 'jive'.......

In my 42 years I have NEVER heard of an actual real life female that has indicated/admitted they picked a guy out on his ability to dance.

I'd put that one in the myth pile along with the big hand/feet/nose/hair pile.

Comment

How a woman dances, in my experience, is usually a good indicator as to what to expect in bed. There are exceptions to that rule, of course, there are exceptions to every rule; but generally speaking I find it's an accurate barometer. Dunno about men, but I expect the same is true.

Comment

Just Dance has been huge for Ubi 3.2 million worldwide sales you can imagine we will be seeing a sequal at E3 as it looks like it only cost them ?50 to make if you don't include the song licences.

Comment

Just Dance sequel is hinted at over at http://www.ubi.com on the pre E3 video.
                  Has girl and guy dancing to 'U can't touch this', ole hammering time.
                  There is now NO stopping Just Dance, just waiting for Move/Natal versions at E3.
                  As for this dancing thing I hate it, although at xmas I landed on karaoke and actually enjoyed that more than dancing.

Comment

The Microsoft U

Comment

Just Dance is great. It's one of those games that you wonder why it's taken until now (well Christmas last year) to be released.

It's simple (it only uses the Wiimote, no motion plus or nunchuck), has a great selection of tracks (Groove is in The Heart, Dare, Ring My Bell, Womaniser) and is easy to follow. Granted it's been played most in my house by my nine year old daughter, but I've got the highest score on Pump Up The Jam. Go me!

It can sometimes be a little inaccurate, but that's not the point. It's not a DDR style technical game, it's just a well made slab of harmless fun.

Comment

Red Dead Redemption maintained its horseshoe-like grip on the top of the UK charts this week despite the launch of Supe…

so Blur does seem to be a grower, hanging around the fringes of top 10 would still make me think sales are not what they hoped for but at least should bring a few more players online.

surprised Mario Galaxy didn't hit outright topspot but expect it will be in the top 10 still long after Red Dead has been and gone.

also Brats your last innocuous looking statement is to me what a lot of people around here and in the industry seem to miss - that there is room for well made slabs of harmless fun, and a lot of room at that.

Comment

Yeah, I think us lot can be amongst the most closed minded of gamers sometimes. Most people don't care if a game makes them look like a tit, they just want to have fun.

After reading the Kinect thread in here, I was thinking 'this is going to be dire' but then I remembered that most people here hate the Wii party style games. This quote from the Eurogamer preview got me more interested again:

Originally posted by Eurogamer
                          The overall verdict from the handful of games we see is, by and large, positive. These are not core games for traditional gamers - indeed, the only game we've seen that could make that claim is the Star Wars title glimpsed at the Project Natal Experience (and sadly missing from this event). But the impression you get from the best of the games is that they are infectious family fun: they're genuinely entertaining and you want to get involved.
                          Glad to see Blur is hanging around. I feel personally responsible for some of those sales as I've been going doolally about the game to anyone that will listen.

Comment

Thinking about why certain games sell well, it's interesting that SMG2 has 'only' reached number 2 in the charts and has not sold as many as say Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

I think (and I haven't fully explored this theory yet) that the key to games selling big numbers is the ease in which the game can be understood outside of reviews, previews and internet forums. A big part of SMG's appeal is in its intricate and outlandish level design, but that's not an easy point to get across on the back of a box or in a TV commercial. Indeed it can make the game look too difficult and put off buyers.

RDR on the otherhand is easy to sell. It's the game that makes you feel like Client Eastwood by the makers of GTA. Likewise Just Dance is an exercise in marketing brilliance, you can understand everything that the game is about be looking at the cover of the box.

Games like Viva Pinata and Boom Blox failed because whilst they were good and had decent reviews, it's not at all obvious what they are like until you actually play it. I think Blur suffers from this issue too, where to appreciate the game you really need to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
                              Thinking about why certain games sell well, it's interesting that SMG2 has 'only' reached number 2 in the charts and has not sold as many as say Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

I think (and I haven't fully explored this theory yet) that the key to games selling big numbers is the ease in which the game can be understood outside of reviews, previews and internet forums. A big part of SMG's appeal is in its intricate and outlandish level design, but that's not an easy point to get across on the back of a box or in a TV commercial. Indeed it can make the game look too difficult and put off buyers.
                              The SMG2 advert came on when I was watching the football with my dad the other night and he passed comment - "That **** never changes". After I lol'd, I tried to explain that the gameplay does kinda change between games, sometimes at least, but he's a non-gamer so the point was lost on him.
                              I could see exactly why he said what he did though since the fundamental look of a Mario game doesn't actually change, nor does the basic gameplay, really.

Comment

That comment doesn't surprise me.

We forget though that games are selling bigger numbers than ever before. A game that gets excellent reviews and great word of mouth amongst us nerds will sell decent numbers. But to be a truly big seller in today's market, a game needs to break though that barrier and an instant appeal is all about that.

A game doesn't have to be as simple as Just Dance to sell well though. Gran Turismo sells bucket loads and although it is a complex game, it is still easy to get its point across.

Comment

Working...
                                X