No announcement yet.

The New New New Xbox Experience Halo4 Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he was joking If not, then all games would be a gig smaller now, which isn't the case.

A 360 DVD has a chunk of space reserved for copy protection, but that was dumped onto the HDD in the first place, hence the max size was 6.7 (or 6.8?) gig.

Comment

360 discs do have a fake table of contents for the warning video but I cannot remember how much space it takes up.
      The updated install technique is to be applauded though. They must have put a fair bit effort into it. Dumping an .iso as before was a lot easier.

Comment

I didn't realise it was on the discs, but then I've never tried a 360 disc in a DVD player. Must be a standard file added at manufacture, so removing it shouldn't have been any real issue. Likewise the pad files would be a simple test for true size, then delete them if they're "empty" after a quick logic test.

I agree it's a nice addition though. It wasn't something anyone was crying out for, so it's great they took the time to add it regardless. Some of the games sound quite a chunk smaller, which can only be good for people with loads.

It's funny how a relatively "insignificant" addition has impressed me the most

Comment

It's top stuff that they're putting effort into the HDD install functionality, given it's a feature that probably only appeals to people like us. I only have a 20GB HDD for financial reasons, but the whole HDD install functionality would be worth grabbing some sort of HDD upgrade if I could afford it.

On the other hand, I have a 120GB HDD in my PS3, but I can't install my games (and if I could, they're on Blu-Ray so we'd be looking at some chunky install sizes...). Darn.

Comment

How long do game installs generally take? Only got a 20gb HDD, so for a game like GTAIV would there be a discernible difference in loading times or should I just stick to running it purely from the disc?

Comment

The removal of drive noise alone is enough incentive to install a game, if you've got space, do it. The install will take 5-10 minutes, and for GTA in particular loading is improved a lot, it varies between games though

Comment

Im reinstalling 3 now to test it.

Ive noticed one new feature of install now when I break the HDMI connection by going to another channel it no longer aborts the install from handshaking

So far
                TW10 was 6.5gig now 6.4gig
                Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 12:47.

Comment

There's some talk about how the install saves space here. King of Fighters XII goes from 3.4GB to 703MB

Comment

FNR4 was 4.4 gig now 4.2gig
                    Too human zero difference 6.2gig lol

So not huge savings on 3 games so far

Comment

Obviously it's going to depend on the game and how much padding the disc has. Big games that fill up most of the disc will obviously see little difference, whereas games that only occupy half the disc (or don't use a pad file, like many DVD9 games it seems) obviously will.

Comment

Aye its going to be obvious with something like RFA that its a generic ISO when its copied and now its been altered to strip it away from the dummy files so will try that later on JPN machine (as thats not got the patch yet so will mean no switching channels lol).

KOFXII is tiny the entire game is part of the latest patch at I think its 760mb so on PS3 when you get the patch you dont need to bother installing.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                          The removal of drive noise alone is enough incentive to install a game, if you've got space, do it.
                          But then your hard drive will give out on you that much sooner.

Comment

I didn't think the 360 hard drive's had any common problems?

Comment

The HDD is the only piece of 360 kit I've had that has never caused issues.

For the noise reduction, it's well worth installing games. I'd not be concerned about the HDD, there are far more faulty DVD drives out there.

Comment

HDDs are fine.

God Im having a thick day with my coma brain. I uninstalled every game on my JPN 360 (7shmups) then reinstalled RFA and thought that was waste of time its the same. I sort of them twigged that thats a different machine with a different HDD on it and it hasnt got the update yet pml

Im not up to getting down and taking the hdds off PAL one and swapping so Ive given up sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X