No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many OSDs is what spoils many games for me. Especially beat-em-ups. Some of the BlazBlue games have about 4 energy bars.

Also, constantly having to look at a tiny map in the corner.

Comment

I like a good OSD but yes some of those energy bars are ott.
      Metroid Prime does it well.

Comment

There are definitely genres where I at least like to see OSDs kept to a minimum. Especially adventure games, or any game trying to create a convincing, atmospheric world. The newest Tomb Raider, for example.

OSDs with survival horror games is a big no. It's worth the hassle of tucking health displays away.

Comment

One of my biggest irks: Puzzles found in survival horror games which make no actual logical sense. Some of the early Resident Evil and Silent Hill games are really bad culprits here.

Comment

I like obscure puzzles. Logic just makes things dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Gaming irk - free to play. Installed Tiny Death Star on my iPhone just to give it a go, knowing Tiny Tower is pretty popular. It earned my wrath by bugging me with notifications, somehow managing to do it after I said Don't Allow notifications and then going in and removing it from my notification centre. Not sure how that happened but it's not cool.
              FYI, there are two types of notifications that a game will typically give you - "push" and "scheduled".

Push notifications are sent to your device remotely.

Scheduled notifications are made by the game, via an internal calendar mechanism - not your actual device calendar, this is like a second, hidden calendar (there's no way to view it).

If you disable a game's notifications, it will not send you any more notifications, but if it's already scheduled some, they don't always get deleted when you change the settings.

This is why sometimes you open an iOS game, accept notifications, then later turn them off - then 2 months later you get a notification. You've prevented it sending you any more, but not removed the ones that already exist.

Comment

Sprinting by holding down the left thumb stick.... It drives me insane!

What's worse, because most first person shooters do it, now third person titles are starting to do it too. Suddenly it's accepted. It is horrible.
                ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

DLC . Its probably been mentioned before somewhere in the thread. I have never have and hopefully never will purchase any DLC.

Comment

really???! out of interest why? I bloody love DLC...

From a gamer's point of view and from a devs... :-)
                    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Originally posted by CatCopter View Post
                      DLC . Its probably been mentioned before somewhere in the thread. I have never have and hopefully never will purchase any DLC.
                      Shame, as I on the other hand love DLC, and have bought quite a lot. Plenty of digital titles too.

I don't buy currency in games, and I don't buy DLC for which I don't think I'll get any use (like I never get it just for completion's sake) but I've bought a fair bit over this generation.

I don't get the idea of being so fundamentally against it as being able to say "I'll never buy any DLC", purely on principle. Yes, some of it is done badly, with stuff being made as DLC that should just be game content (like the costumes in Street Fighter IV), or stuff held back that should've just been in the game, but "horse armour" jokes are 5+ years out of date now. Some DLC has been very good.

Comment

With DLC, it depends entirely on the execution.

If the DLC is a genuine effort to add new add substantial new content to a game, then it is a great way to keep the player base engaged while working on a sequel. A good example of this would be the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion. It added 30+ hours of gameplay to the base game, and felt like a labour of love by the developer.

The issue is that most examples of DLC are essentially cash cows. Bioware selling DLC missions for Mass Effect that take longer to download than to complete. Characters and costume packs that were clearly planned during the initial development. People are growing increasingly frustrated by DLC that is clearly content taken from the base game - it's frustrating even when the DLC is free. Rayman Legend's extra character on uPlay springing to mind. The billions of costumes for Street Fighter games.

I think the good will towards DLC is being eroded by the prevalence of the latter form of DLC. I will never buy a costume pack, or car, or extra throwaway character. I will gladly buy a genuine, substantial expansion pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post

If the DLC is a genuine effort to add new add substantial new content to a game, then it is a great way to keep the player base engaged while working on a sequel. A good example of this would be the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion. It added 30+ hours of gameplay to the base game, and felt like a labour of love by the developer.

The issue is that most examples of DLC are essentially cash cows. Bioware selling DLC missions for Mass Effect that take longer to download than to complete. Characters and costume packs that were clearly planned during the initial development. People are growing increasingly frustrated by DLC that is clearly content taken from the base game - it's frustrating even when the DLC is free. Rayman Legend's extra character on uPlay springing to mind. The billions of costumes for Street Fighter games.

I think the good will towards DLC is being eroded by the prevalence of the latter form of DLC. I will never buy a costume pack, or car, or extra throwaway character. I will gladly buy a genuine, substantial expansion pack.
                          I think this covers most of my reasons for not liking DLC but my biggest dislike is DLC that excludes people.The worst examples of this are multiplayer map packs used by the likes of BF4. Games that build up a fanbase and create a so called community and then exploit this to milk more money from its players.

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel View Post
                            One of my biggest irks: Puzzles found in survival horror games which make no actual logical sense. Some of the early Resident Evil and Silent Hill games are really bad culprits here.
                            With resi if you think about it too much the puzzles make it really weird, why does the police station keep it's keys in the oddest of locations lol. Even before the outbreak and back when it was all normal the locks & other puzzles would seem biozzare to have in a normal police station.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post

The first few borderlands 2 dlc was really good but the headhunters were throw aways what really annoys me though is that the recent DLC for it the moxxi valentines actually have included the son of crawmerax dlc and on the pc if you know how you can actually play it all the way through and its fully complete and i am surprised there is no uproar about that as its the first ON DLC DLC i have seen

Comment

DLC done well is fine e.g. Tiny's Tina's Assault in Borderlands 2. You pay money for content that was created after the main game to extend the game life for those that love the game so much they can't get enough of it.
                                DLC done wrong is an abomination. I challenge anyone to find a worse example than Dragon Age Origins and fear that DA3 will repeat this vulgarity because it's EA published and they are arseholes.

Comment

Working...
                                X