X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good call on Fatal Frame II

Scares me whitless though

Comment

Also while it really didn't sell poor or got bad reviews, really didn't get the hate with Star Fox Adventures . I thought it was quite brilliant myself

Star Fox Adv

Also a couple of PSP game that never seem to get the credit they deserve

Tokobot

LocoRoco

Comment

A lot of games listed on here have had critical appraisal, a re-awakening or good sales. Out of all the games that I can think of, Sega Rally Revo is the one that has been the most marginalised.

Ridge Racer V had reasonable sales but middling reviews, however it was later re-discovered and enjoyed by sites like NTSC-UK. Project Gotham Racing 4 had okay sales but was lauded by the press and was well received by all. Sega Rally Revo was reviewed okay, but had poor sales and was later dismissed by veteran Sega Rally fans, and has had no Ridge Racer V style reappraisal.

I’ve always found it to be not only a great update to Sega Rally, but a classic racing game in its own right. It took the original concept of the 90’s original, but updates it for the modern era and goes beyond what many simulation based rally games don’t bother to attempt, a visual representation of the ground being destroyed by other cars. It nails the look, recaptures the Sega style that they themselves have lost, and creates the best ever arcade rally game.

As time goes on and it’s discussed less and less, I’m even more inclined to believe that people have missed out on a lost gem of a game, and shocked that the arcade faithful never warmed to its qualities. In some ways, Sega Rally Revo is Sega’s best racing game with only Outrun 2 being in the same league.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
          rallylove
          *applause.gif*

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
            Enemy Zero
            Are you sure about Enemy Zero? I'd argue it's borderline unplayable today.

Also, regarding Burning Rangers, it's a great game, but is it really underated? I thought every magazine that covered it praised it? Replayed it a few years and it still holds up. I actually think the limited 3D capabilities of the Saturn give it and other Saturn games a kind of strange charm. To heck with HD, some 3D Saturn games are stylistically gorgeous.

Comment

Toy Commander is a special game for me. I might be wrong but this was my second Dreamcast game after Sonic Adventure, which I picked up at launch.

I really enjoyed it! The sense of scale and childlike wonder was excellent. There were terrible difficulty spikes, but the fun that No Cliché programmed into this game was shining through every right-trigger press :-)

More Toy Commander here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1eUs8XOHesToy Racer here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=qR2sRl9M1Jg
              Last edited by spontaneoustom; 16-03-2011, 12:55. Reason: Wanted to add the youtube frame, but failed

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                Sega Rally Revo love
                I bought a pretty beaten up copy just yesterday from Cash Converters for 3 quid. Was just about to post some love for it myself.

It's so, so ace. The music, graphics and handling just feel like a really natural evolution of the Saturn original I loved so much. Plenty fast and quite closely fought races so far, too.

The only thing I'd say is that the 2-player splitscreen is pretty below par.

Here's my other pick o' the day:

Just playing through it again on the gamecube. So refreshing, and I love how the comic book style isn't just a gimmick, but it actually provides useful gameplay mechanics (framed key items, visual cues for footsteps etc).

Comment

Saw XIII cheap the other day, was tempted. But I'd heard, back in the day, that it gets ludicrously difficult in later stages, which put me off. Any truth to this, or were the reviewers just being pussies? I quite like a healthy challenge, just not insane difficulty.

Comment

It is quite tough, yeah.

Also, it starts out with a quite restricting bank escape where you can only stun guards with chairs and ashtrays. If you get past that though, you're a healthy candidate for enjoying the rest of the game, difficulty warts and all!

Do it I say, there's too much good stuff in there for it to be passed up on the cheap.

Comment

I have a question are monster hunter games under rated here in the west i know there big in japan but can you say the same for here ?

Comment

In the case of Sea Rally Revo I'd say it's likely underrated. I never felt it was the best Sega had to offer, or racers in general, as it had some very annoying flaws but it seems to get dug at far more than it deserves.

For the general underrated discussion point, yup. Some have had some praise in some quarters or success as the thread has branched out but I don't mind. It's folding out into a future shopping list for me

In Burning Rangers case Sega related mags in particular praised it quite a bit but it performed quite poorly and seems to be overshadowed by the rest of Sonic Teams output of the time even though I'd consider it to be a better made title than most their stuff. Seems to be increasingly forgotton too.

Monster Hunter... well, it depends. There are definately some who would say the west massively underrates the series. Personally I think it's an overrated series though, it's had massive success and praise but like most MMO's I find it to be mechanically archaic.

Comment

Originally posted by spontaneoustom View Post
                          Toy Commander is a special game for me. I might be wrong but this was my second Dreamcast game after Sonic Adventure, which I picked up at launch.
                          Missed this post.

Yes! I too picked it up at launch. While I've sold off the majority of my games, it's the one I still hang on to. Such a wonderfully special game.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed Toy Commander. Very relaxing game.

Not sure many will agree with this but:

I can see why Bubsy never caught on as it was shamelessly trying to be cool (felt very 'Poochie' from the Simpsons) but nevertheless, the first was good fun.

Comment

I'm going to put this one in because even though the series is well known and did well the first two games recieve a lot of fan praise whilst I feel the third game tends to be a bit underrated

Donkey Kong Country 3

Not so much the game itself as SFA2 is very popular and I personally consider the highest point of the series, but specifically the Snes version which mostly overlooked due to its technical limits but I find it an awesome port considering the hardware

Comment

Sunset Riders

Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure

Comment

Working...
                                X