No announcement yet.

Under/Rated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite an underrated racer. It's certainly not the best but at the time it had an incomparable sense of speed (until F-Zero X arrived). A few years ago I met somebody who had been involved in QA for XG and he said that it was apparently murder to get running. In the end the team allegedly reverse-engineered a copy of Mario Kart 64 and nabbed bits of the code for their engine. He also said that you couldn't turn around on the track as the team hadn't drawn the back of the scenery, so the whole thing was like belting along through a pop-up book. Probably explains why it seemed to run as fast as it did!

The precursor to GTAIII. It had a sparse, empty feel, as was the case with a lot of 3D games of this era that used large, open spaces. This was countered by the range of vehicles at your disposal. Ultimately it plays like a cross between a very primitive GTA and EDF. I'd love to try Space Station Silicon Valley too.

Konami certainly tried something different with Hybrid Heaven. It still had a ridiculous Kojima-esque plot but the fighting system was unique. You were able to build up various parts of your body by using them in combat, which meant that you could have a balanced fighter or somebody with a really, really powerful leg. Bross was an interesting villain too- he's a transvestite but nobody ever seemed to mention it.

A lot of people seem to overlook Illusion of Gaia/Time to bemoan the lack of an English NTSC release of Terranigma but Gaia is a solid, fun game in its own right. The character-swapping system was an innovative idea for the time, if a bit redundant and unbalanced toward the end of the adventure. It was the perfect game for PAL-restricted gamers looking for another SNES RPG after Zelda III.

While Sim City is anything but underrated, the SNES version is often overlooked. Nintendo and Maxis managed to do a fantastic job of translating the game over to joypad control and managed to provide a lot of humour through the inclusion of Dr. Wright (unfortunately forgotten after his appearance in Zelda IV) and Nintendo-specific items like the Mario statue and Bowser tearing up the city. It's still the best version of Sim City I've ever played. Great music, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
      Ooh, as a huge Vice City fan, that does look quite interesting indeed.

What's the gameplay like, 112? Is it open world where you do story and side missions?

Also, how does it control on the Wii? Any crappy, tacked on motion control issues?

Might have to give it a look it's probably cheap I'd wager.
      Gat-su! you are in for a treat! It plays very similar to Vice City and has the 80s theme written all over it! If you are a fan of the movie then you are also in for a treat. The game picks up from where the movie ends... And IIRC the game is feirly long in length. You can buy property, decorate your pad, invest in lots different businesses to generate revenue streams.

Control wise, the wii controls take a little getting used to but the quality of the game is high IMO. You can tell the people who worked on it, loved the movie. There are some questionable game play elements to it - one being the way you bank you money, but it all adds to the games features I guess.

Id definately reccomend you check it out Gat-su!, as it sits nicely with GTA Vice City as an alternative. Shame the game was overlooked when it was released a few years back... Definately in teh bargain bin now, on PS2, Wii and Xbox I think.

Comment

Not sure how well this holds up but I remember enjoying Apocalypse when it came out. It’s a straightforward shooter with simple platforming sections, but it’s done well enough to keep the game fun. There’s also some great Duke Nukem-esque smack talk from Willis after he kills a few bad guys. ;p

Comment

Superb atmosphere, super story and great music.

Comment

Body Harvest very much is the stepping stone from GTA to GTA3. You can see them trying out a lot of the ideas that would make it into GTA3.

Horrendous framerate though, it's quite painful to play now I find.

Comment

Its this, for so many understated reasons and i just dont think it gets the recognition it deserves.

Comment

It's on par with Biohazard 4 IMO. Why they never made a sequel is beyond me.
                Last edited by J0e Musashi; 08-02-2011, 21:22.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

So under rated it needs four massive pictures?

Edit: Darn, too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                    Its this, for so many understated reasons and i just dont think it gets the recognition it deserves.

Not a chance. Rehash of the PSP games with fancy visuals. Don't get me wrong it was cheap but it had to be. Not a bad game at all but not the first time they have done it. Wipeout 64 springs to mind.

Comment

And name how many 1080P fancy graphics games you know?, see totally underrated for this reason.

Comment

And name how many 1080P fancy graphics games you know?, see totally underrated for this reason.
                        Ridge Racer 7 is 1080p, and by far a better game. Wangan Midnight is 1080p too, I prefer that to Wipeout myself.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                          Ridge Racer 7 is 1080p, and by far a better game. Wangan Midnight is 1080p too, I prefer that to Wipeout myself.
                          so is VT3 (power smash 3)

and quite a few psn games

Comment

I was sticking to racing games to compare against Wipeout.
                            There are plenty of 1080p games on PS3 though, even extra ones for me. The JPN Uncharted's run in 1080p, where I don't think the PAL ones do for example.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Meh. 1080p who cares. It doesn't make it a better game for it. All new tracks and content would have done that.

Comment

Wreckless: Yakuza Missions

Comment

Working...
                                X