Under/Rated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Team Andromeda

Are you playing Sega GT 2002 on a widescreen TV? On the back of the box it states it supports widescreen but the picture is really soft and stretched, have you come across this issue?

Some of the music is great tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      @Team Andromeda

Are you playing Sega GT 2002 on a widescreen TV? On the back of the box it states it supports widescreen but the picture is really soft and stretched, have you come across this issue?

Some of the music is great tho.
      That video is not me playing SEGA GT (its not my video upload, ) I know SEGA GT supports widesreen (you even get start screen in widescreen mode). I've never had any issues with the game.

The SNES version was great! I used to play it every time I had a day off sick,
      The Snes ver was better than the dire MD version, but I couldn't get into it. GOD Honest truth, I once watched my mate play the whole game all the way through (Jurassic on the Snes). Took him 3 hours and after all that, the ending was some piss poor tiny bitmap Helicopter, taking off

. I found the DC game to be pretty poor so I left it well alone.
      The Pal and USA versions of SEGA GT were horrid, SEGA completely changed the handling model (to that of the JP game) for some unknown reason.

SEGA GT 2002, shares nothing in common with either and is the game to get the best mix of Arcade style and Sim style gameplay and handling. Its a gem of a Racer and the 5.1 sound is the best you'll ever hear in a racer (even now)

Comment

Let see, I have a soft spot for the Colony Wars games. Especially Red Sun for it's fairly unique (at the time) plot.

I've always enjoyed the Warriors Orochi games as well. They're still proper bonkers whereas the main Dynasty Warriors series seems to have lost it since 6, it just doesn't play as well anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Did anyone play Spider-Man on the PlayStation? Amazing game, played it to death as a kid. My favourite Spider-Man game for sure.
          yeah that was really good, played it on Dreamcast.

More recent under-rated game

Hitman : Blood Money

The best in the series and still unmatched by any stealth game in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
            Let see, I have a soft spot for the Colony Wars games. Especially Red Sun for it's fairly unique (at the time) plot.
            Could call, Remember my mate getting it and being totally blown away by the visuals and the simple and compelling gameplay.

I add a few more games

FEAR

IMO the best FPS this gen (well..., after HL II) and the FPS with the best fire fights and AI out of al of them

Ninja Blade

Yes you can all Laugh. I myself loved the game and the whole OTT quick time and boss battles.

O.TO.GI II

You can shove the Overrated Bayonetta and DMC where the sun don't shine. This is the better action game, and a master piece of action and beautiful graphics by From. So wish MS would play FROMSOFTWARE to make a sequel
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 21-02-2011, 16:15.

Comment

Ninja Blade I agree with, it's so ludicrously over the top and pretty cheap now.

Not sure FEAR was ever under rated though, it scored highly and sold well.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post

Not sure FEAR was ever under rated though, it scored highly and sold well.
                Did it sell well, I was always under the impression it never sold that great.

Comment

I thought FEAR was overrated!

The demo was the best bit, the full game was a grey corridor bore.
                  The Awesome AI seemed to only extend as far as the guys jumping over a ledge, they didn't it every time.

Comment

Chibi Robo (Gamecube) : Such a well made, charming game with great visuals and fantastic sound design.

Rule of Rose (PS2) : Edge panned it and yes, it wasn't perfect (combat being a case in point, though clunky combat never stopped Resi from being universally lauded and at least this had better overall controls), but it was still a very good game. To all intents and purposes, a survival horror game, but its scares weren't zombies or creatures necessarily, but the implied cruelty of its child characters and how it all related to the protagonist. Inexplicably banned in the UK and Australia by people who'd clearly never actually bothered to play it.

Drill Dozer (GBA) : An utterly fantastic GBA platformer from Game Freaks, the creators of Pokemon. It's like something Treasure would make. Speaking of which...

Mischief Makers (N64) : Again, one of the best games on the system. I remember spending many long evenings on this, and even got all the gold gems for the perfect ending too. Good times...

Legend of Legaia (PS1) : This was a great RPG for the PS1.

Freak Out (PS2)
                    : This was actually my first PS2 back in the day. A very idiosyncratic title that admittedly wasn't to everyone's tastes, but one I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't played it.

Mr. Mosqueeto (PS2) : The voice acting is truly dire, but there's a great game here.

EDIT: One more game...

Galerians (PS1) : Another hugely underrated game. Like Rule of Rose, this follows the 3rd person adventure formula, this time putting you in the charge of a teenage boy with telekinetic powers (think Akira) whose abilities are enhanced by the use of drugs. The story is quite nihilistic and almost Fincher-esque in places (especially the downbeat ending), but it's a great game that drips atmosphere and has a palpable sense of menace.
                    Last edited by Ady; 22-02-2011, 17:56.

Comment

I collect and play obscure underrated games, almost to the detriment of mainstream games, and there are hundreds of amazing classics out there (Hardcore Gaming 101 is practically built on the foundation of underated retro games). But to save energy I'm just going to mention:

Everblue 1 & 2
                      Both on PS2, you spend time swimming calmly under the sea, collecting rubbish to sell. Certain bits of junk are valuable to specific islanders, and some items are needed to create newer items or special gear. So you swim, use sonar to find screws, tin cans, wooden items, or rummage through sunken ships for rare paintings and furniture to sell. It's like being an underwater binman and it is incredible.

Both games are great, though mostly identical.

Comment

Some nice picks Ady. I'd love to play Rule of Rose but it goes for mad crazy prices on ebay. Everblue always intrigued me too.

My Pick o' the day:

Loved how colourful and fluid the action was in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                          I collect and play obscure underrated games, almost to the detriment of mainstream games, and there are hundreds of amazing classics out there (Hardcore Gaming 101 is practically built on the foundation of underated retro games). But to save energy I'm just going to mention:

Everblue 1 & 2
                          Both on PS2, you spend time swimming calmly under the sea, collecting rubbish to sell. Certain bits of junk are valuable to specific islanders, and some items are needed to create newer items or special gear. So you swim, use sonar to find screws, tin cans, wooden items, or rummage through sunken ships for rare paintings and furniture to sell. It's like being an underwater binman and it is incredible.

Both games are great, though mostly identical.
                          Have both of those, no 1 cost me ?3 and no 1 99p. Both mint!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                            I thought FEAR was overrated!

The demo was the best bit, the full game was a grey corridor bore.
                            The Awesome AI seemed to only extend as far as the guys jumping over a ledge, they didn't it every time.
                            Same here, it seemed to be plastered over all the forums and became a fairly standard benchmark at the time for testing graphics performance. I didn't think much of it the first time I played it although my graphics card (like most at the time) struggled to keep decent frames per second with any amount of graphical detail. I tried the game later with a more powerful PC which could play it smoothly but I didn't think any better of the game itself.

I thought Sega GT for the Xbox was a pretty good game that I spent quite a bit of time with, I particularly like the degradation system which I don't think any game has implemented anywhere near as well. When changing brakes and tyres over the car felt great and then you could feel it get gradually worse and worse until it handled like a shopping trolley on ice. This left you with the decision to either keep up saving for a new car or delay it and patch up the new one.

I've possibly mentioned it already in this thread but I'll say it again as I was searching for this game on here yesterday and surprised at how little it was mentioned and also dismayed to find it's no longer for sale here. The game is Panel de Pon which I think is probably one of the most underrated games of pretty much every generation out there since it was released.

John

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Have both of those, no 1 cost me ?3 and no 1 99p. Both mint!
                              I hope you played them! Both absolute gems I felt - very little else quite like it. Aquanauts maybe, but I love the salvaging in Everblue. Would kill for a current-gen update.

Originally posted by crocky-chocky View Post
                              I'd love to play Rule of Rose but it goes for mad crazy prices on ebay.
                              I sold my copy on eBay for ?46... I'd managed 3 hours, but I had really been forcing myself through it. Very, very, very slow, and also extremely difficult when it came to the bosses due to the wonky controls.

Comment

Cannon Spike:

Cool Cool Toon:

It's ridiculous that it's been 10 years since this last installment, Daytona USA 2001

Super Runabout

Vanishing Point

Comment

Working...
                                X