No announcement yet.

Gameboy Player Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he's playing in tournaments then surely he is one of the best in the world by definition.
    No sir - I also play in events but I dont class myself or like people classing myself as "world class" -

What you say about the pads isnt true and I wish you would stop insulting people about it. You are not playing the game to a very deep level and obviously have no experience of expert play. Dont slag people off for wanting to use the best means of control for something they are really into. A control pad is not a correct control method for Soul Calibur - as you get better you will realise how bad they really are. But until you understand what players like us mean by arcade sticks stop the silly name-calling. You are preaching at us with a VERY narrow view of what beat em ups and what Soul Calibur are all about and it does nothing for the discussion about the game or the genre.

Comment

You need all 4 buttons readily available hence an arcade stick is the best method of control. This is factual not an opinion. You have a digital stick that responds quickly to any direction and a finger on each button. This is both comfortable and essentiel given the speed of fighting games. With the GC pad you actually have to think where you're placing your thumb.

I can give anyone a run for their money in HF and ST but until I feature in the semis of a major tournament I won't consider myself world class. My Honda (HF) and Blanka (ST) are ****ing brutal though :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sidez
        You need all 4 buttons readily available hence an arcade stick is the best method of control. This is factual not an opinion. You have a digital stick that responds quickly to any direction and a finger on each button. This is both comfortable and essentiel given the speed of fighting games. With the GC pad you actually have to think where you're placing your thumb.
        Exactly

On a stick you have your hand over A, B, K and G the whole time - there is no delay between your thought/plan and your execution of commands. For example my opener for an opponent that guards a lot would be something like:
        HCF-HCF-up, K down A, A, B+K, B B

You cannot buffer commands like that accurately enough on a pad. Especially if you are stringing stuff together that is not meant to string by cancels.

Comment

Do they ever hold "Handicap" tournaments where the so called best players have to prove their worth by fighting each other using dodgy controllers? If you are that good you must prove yourself with the worst utensils!

Sure Rambo can kill a hundred men - But he has been provided with steroids, 10 blade machette and a turbo rocket launcher. Give him a pea shooter and lets see how effective he really is...

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
            What you say about the pads isnt true and I wish you would stop insulting people about it.
            And what have I said about the pads that isn't true then?

You are not playing the game to a very deep level and obviously have no experience of expert play.
            Indeed, that was my point. Saying that people shouldn't even bother playing the game if they are going to use the GC pad is silly, and Tokuda has admitted that. Although you think that the arcade stick is the best method of control for the game (something that I've never disagreed with) you haven't said that people "shouldn't even bother playing the game if they're going to use a pad", which is what I would have disagreed with. I've admitted that my initial post was over the top and I'm afraid that I let past history with Tokuda get the better of me. Sidez is currently as guilty of name-calling as I am.

Dont slag people off for wanting to use the best means of control for something they are really into.
            I haven't. I've said that people shouldn't be preached not to buy the game based on what the best control method is. Especially not when the difference is minimal like between the 4 pads and an extremely personal preference.

You are preaching at us with a VERY narrow view of what beat em ups and what Soul Calibur are all about and it does nothing for the discussion about the game or the genre.
            And yet I am not the one preaching. Do you see?

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
              Do they ever hold "Handicap" tournaments where the so called best players have to prove their worth by fighting each other using dodgy controllers? If you are that good you must prove yourself with the worst utensils!

Sure Rambo can kill a hundred men - But he has been provided with steroids, 10 blade machette and a turbo rocket launcher. Give him a pea shooter and lets see how effective he really is...
              Bruv -

Give Lizardman a pair of chopsticks and he'll take out a hundred Agent Smiths!

Comment

Lizardman? Hah! He is more pantomine than Link in widow twanky clothing.

Comment

What you on about?

He's the sickest character in Soul Calibur! Link is pathetic, I really hate the "licenced characters" - especially Necrid who I think looks and fights ****ing terrible.

Comment

What you on about?

He's the sickest character in Soul Calibur!
                    Blatent. Fighting against him is a big handicap.

Check the sig, nice quote from saturday :P I enjoyed those Mina vs Lizard fights.

Comment

What you on about?

He's the sickest character in Soul Calibur!

Check the sig, nice quote from saturday :P I enjoyed those Mina vs Lizard fights.
                      Longest parry chain I have been involved with in ages - You wanna know why? - you are too greedy for Mina's "In your sweetz" grab -
                      If you went mid a few times instead...I'll counter with meh skanky new Mid-mid-mid filth! *MWAHAHAHAHAHA!* (PS I can cancel that into the triple shoulder barge too - 10 hits before you land BABY!)

Comment

The whiner in me wants to complain that he is cheap. ft:

The SCer in me just sees it as another challenge to overcome

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                          The whiner in me wants to complain that he is cheap. ft:

The SCer in me just sees it as another challenge to overcome
                          I aint in the slightest bit cheap with him! - ****ing disgusting! is more accurate
                          He's got more set-ups and stunners than the others. For example even a simple up-up A has enough stun time for me to make a grab or juggle. While standing A does the same thing too (neither have to be a counter either) - his >> B+K when cancelled goes straight into command throw! (whether you block or not BITCH!)

Live with it! It's funny as hell cos people just see the surface of the character as a brer with the same moves as Sophitia, but thats just the surface - once you proper learn the **** there is no situation you havent got backup for and you can stun the opponent from anywhere. He's almost like the Akira of Soul Calibur in the right hands (all set-ups, no chains, pure command buffering and juggles that look like they shouldnt work but do)

Comment

Luckily, the CPU (even on Ultra Hard) doens't seem to use him to his full potential. Sounds like I would be absolutely destroyed if all that was used against me.

Comment

The people who whine about Lizardbrer and Sopitia being the same are the same ones who think that Ryu and Ken are identical. Teh ignorance.

I'm really loving SC right now, my Mina is getting there.

Comment

The people who whine about Lizardbrer and Sopitia being the same are the same ones who think that Ryu and Ken are identical. Teh ignorance.

I'm really loving SC right now, my Mina is getting there.
                                I'm always up for challenges on Soul Calibur - C' blud maybe we should all try and hook up for some!

Comment

Working...
                                X