No announcement yet.

Nintendo 3DS - GROUND ZERO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I am retreading over some points I made in another thread here but apply here too.

I was really excited when it was announced at E3 last year I thought the idea of 3D handheld gaming and the line up of games due to be released was fantastic. Since then my excitment has died down. First the reigon locking was a real turn off - like everyone else I hated that idea, 2nd was no 2010 release - if it had been released in Japan I would have ordered there and then as I was still very excited.

Third was the price point. Its expensive but I don't feel its unreasonble. I was personally thinking it would be around £150, US$250 seems ok but $200 would have been better but at least $250 was expected. I do think Nintendo UK dropped a clanger not announcing a price at the press confrence as that seem to dull some of the excitment as well. Its one of the reasons that after the press confrences - I watched both - US one live then the UK one with Jonathan Ross later on. At least with America I knew what I was going to be paying. While Prices have come down in the UK to £187 it could so easily have gone the other way if the demand was so great.

The line up of games was not quite what I was expecting but there are a few there I do like - Street Fighter 4, Ridge Racer and Pilot Wings is what I decided to order. But again I do think it was as big mistake to give the games a "launch window" of 3 months. That does not help anyone who wants one on day 1 who wants to pre-order a game. It almost seemed Nintendo knew the line up would be underwelming in some peoples eyes and decided to do a Launch Window to make it seem more impressive so Zelda, Dead Or Alive etc could be included but not on day 1.

As for the 3D I don't know how it will effect me. I have not seen modern 3D films like Avatar or got a 3DTV but I do think this is my cheapest option to see what all the fuss is about. I don't know if they use the same technolagy but I have been on some 3D rides like Spiderman at Universal Studios in Florida and I dind't feel sick or ill from that experience - I know the ride is probably only 5 minutes long but the 3D effect was fantastic and your car was moving around all the time, and I can also remember those 3D cinema dome things at theme parks.

I do own a DSXL and am very happy with that and will keep it. I have owned a DS since its US launch and fully intend on keeping all my old games. I do think the DS has one of the best game ranges of recent years and even now AAA titles are still being released. While I am used to the bigger screen which I have no problems with and think its fanastic I think I may still choose to play DS games on the DSXL and play 3DS games on the 3DS.

While some dismiss the 3D as a gimick I really hope its not and will prove to be so much more than that. I do think in time it will prove its self to be a nice console just like the DS. If the do a 3DSXL I will certainly upgrade from my orginal.

While I am not as excited about it as last yaer I decided that I am still looking forward to it and dispite the mixed reviews on the system - they all seem to say its good or great but not as ground breaking as they hoped - That I would buy one. I have decided to go with an American version from Videogames Plus with Street Fighter, Ridge Racer and Pilot Wings. I am the only one going for Black here?!

One aspect I am looking forward to is the handhelds virtual console - if they release games on mass I think it could be a totally fantastic feature.

I don't know if anyone else has ordered from Videogames Plus but I have noticed the American launch is a SUNDAY?! So will they be posting them out early so we get them saturday?! or will I have to waiy until mid next week? It is express delivery as standard option only I hope customs don't notice!

Comment

Just been to my local GAME and had my first go on a 3ds(aqua blue).I had 5 mins or so on pilot wings but didn't want to spoil my Friday surprise too much LOL the screen is excellent so vibrant it has a hologram effect to it which surprised me and its gonna take a few goes to adjust and appreciate the 3D depth it creates.had a go with the 3d slider which graduates the effect nicely.the circle pad feels comfortable and a hell of a lot better than the psp stick.machine feels quite solid.with four days to go its made me more anxious to own one of these lovely machines ROLL ON FRIDAY

Comment

Can this go in General Gaming until someone's actually got one?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
          Just been to my local GAME and had my first go on a 3ds(aqua blue).I had 5 mins or so on pilot wings but didn't want to spoil my Friday surprise too much LOL the screen is excellent so vibrant it has a hologram effect to it which surprised me and its gonna take a few goes to adjust and appreciate the 3D depth it creates.had a go with the 3d slider which graduates the effect nicely.the circle pad feels comfortable and a hell of a lot better than the psp stick.machine feels quite solid.with four days to go its made me more anxious to own one of these lovely machines ROLL ON FRIDAY

Where in South Wales are you buddy? Would be great to have some people round Swansea so we can try the Street Pass stuff out.

Comment

The money I was going to buy one with has now been added to my NGP fund.

I already own a 3D TV, so the biggest novelty factor is wasted on me, and I have Ridge Racer 7 3D and SSFIV on my PS3.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

But Joe! You don't have to wear glasses for this! No glasses!

Unless, like, you wear glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbalizer View Post
                Where in South Wales are you buddy? Would be great to have some people round Swansea so we can try the Street Pass stuff out.

Hi mate I'm from the rhondda valleys so don't hold that against me I'm a avid gamer LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  But Joe! You don't have to wear glasses for this! No glasses!

Unless, like, you wear glasses.
                  But glasses 3D>>>not glasses 3D. I'll stick with GT5 and KZ3.

I don't wear glasses BTW.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Regarding the 3d, I don't think it'll revolutionise anything. It's just an extra, like surround sound. It's a cool extra, no doubt about that and extremely impressive when you first see it. I think something like LBP with its 3 planes could make very good use of it (obviously it can't as it's a Sony product).

Oh, and no glasses 3d ÷ 10 > glasses 3d. Why would you choose to wear glasses?
                    Last edited by Brad; 21-03-2011, 16:03.

Comment

It is just an extra, no doubt. But, personally, I love that extra. I like the extra D and I was more impressed than I thought I'd be when I got to see one for myself. It won't make games any better but it's still nice.

Comment

Oh I was super impressed mate, no doubt about that and the augmented reality thing I saw was pretty amazing in conjunction with the 3d.

Ok, the augmented reality thing was really just Eyepet/invisimals but the addition of 3d there really made the experience all the better.

All the other games at launch don't impress me though so what would I be buying? I will get one but not until MGS3 arrives probably and in the absence of a new Zelda I'll make do with OOT in 3d. I'm kinda talking myself out of it cos I know I'll want an NGP.

Comment

In terms of 3d tech as a whole, you could do some fun things if you combined a 3d display with Kinect.

And the 3DS might be the machine to finally do something interesting with AR given the twinned cameras make the code you'd use more robust, less prone to errors.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            The money I was going to buy one with has now been added to my NGP fund.

I already own a 3D TV, so the biggest novelty factor is wasted on me, and I have Ridge Racer 7 3D and SSFIV on my PS3.
                            I have a 3D tv rr7 in 3d + all the other main games, I thought the 3d effect was far better on the 3ds than any ps3 game ive played.

Comment

Can anyone clarify what it's actually called, by the way?

I'm not sure if it's "3 Dimension Screens" or "3 Dual Screens," neither really makes sense, the second one particularly.

Comment

Having returned to work yesterday after a week off and being able to borrow my machine overnight with my copies of Pilotwings & Super SFIV I can say that I do, in fact, love it.

Pilotwings is brilliant!! The 3D, for me, has to be set quite low as it gives me a headache after a while but the depth the 3D brings is amazing when helping to judge landings and the like. It looks lovely; all blue skies and green grass with gorgeous white buildings dotted around. The sound in the game is very minimal. Not a huge amount of music and basic sound effects but through headphones it's great!

The free flight mode is timed at 2 minutes which is a little annoying but also makes sense from a handheld perspective. The missions are also fairly short which again works in the handheld mentalities favour.

Super SFIV - what to say? OMG IT'S AMAZING!!!! Controls well, looks phenomenal, has all the music and sound effects from the big console versions. Biggest gripe - you can only have the English dub - no Japanese voices.

Played a couple of games online last night and it seemed okay (I won which was a nice change!)

Overall, I'm impressed. The screen on mine seems better than the one I played a few weeks back. Maybe because I've reduced the brightness and have had time to get used to the difference in focus I have to employ to make the 3D "work".

Comment

Working...
                                X