No announcement yet.

Playstation 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's likely because Nintendo keeps trying to emulate their handheld model where 3rd parties go out of their way to produce tailored games because of the systems popularity, Nintendo never seems to be able to achieve it on console though. I'm presuming the approach doesn't work on console because of the much higher budgets.

Comment

Maybe not. The only thing devs have really been pushing is graphic fidelity and online. Wii U GFX will be high def at least and presumably the online will be good enough. Pluss Wii U has a 'standard' controller in that it has 2 analog sticks. dpad, buttons, shoulder triggers etc. That means that PS4 and next xbox graphics will be better but aside form that the Wii U could have the same game fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
        Maybe not. The only thing devs have really been pushing is graphic fidelity and online.
        And that's what people want , even some of the casuals imo. To me even teenagers will want to play the likes of FIFA, GTA, COD with all the bells and whistles and players looking like their real life counter parts ect . If there's a huge gulf in gfx even the lesser dictated gamer will go with the 720 or PS4 imo and seeing as the Wii U controller is one 1 per console is hardly a advantage for multi player games like FIFA (with all the family on the same console over Christmas)

To me its just be the Wii all over again and for NCL that's more than good enough no doubt.

Comment

All true. I'm just saying I don't think there'll be a problem with 3rd parties making games that work on all 3 platforms this time. WiiU can have the 'same' game as PS4 and Xbox. It'll just be like the PS4 and Xbox have a newer gfx card in, whereas last time the devs had no standard controller and a vastly inferior resolution to work with.

personally I won't get any of the next consoles and with the next MGS coming to PC I won't need to :-)

Comment

All true. I'm just saying I don't think there'll be a problem with 3rd parties making games that work on all 3 platforms this time. I won't get any of the next consoles and with the next MGS coming to PC I won't need to :-)
            I think that will also depend on how much memory is in the Wii U to that of the PS4 and 720 , not just the shaders. To me kids will want to play the best looking version of Fifa , GTA and COD and they're bound to be on the 720 and PS4 . Cut down versions of Fifa or COD want really cut it even for the teenagers imo

Comment

Good point on the RAM etc. I hadn't even thought of that.

Why is Darkstalkers 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines even being made for Wii U then? Why are the devs even bothering?

Comment

Good point on the RAM etc. I hadn't even thought of that.

Why is Darkstalkers 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines even being made for Wii U then? Why are the devs even bothering?
                But they're being made for this gen of consoles and I'm not on about them . I would imagine that the gulf between the 360 and 720 will be huge , never mind the PS3 and PS4 . So if its true about the Wii U , it have hard time trying to handle a GTA , FIFA, COD at anywhere near the standard to that of the 720 or PS4 .

Comment

Ninty will be looking for third parties to make use of their existing engines from 360 and PS3 for the WiiU so no doubt it won't compare well on a visual level with the next gen of systems. Hopefully the design of the system will allow for easy reuse of current engines and assets to keep dev costs down making the system something of a haven to those who can't bare the brunt of next gen budgets

Comment

@TA - I think you might be expecting a bit much from 720 and PS4. I reckon it'll be more incremental than the PS2 -> PS3 jump. I have no way of knowing of course.

Comment

@TA - I think you might be expecting a bit much from 720 and PS4. I reckon it'll be more incremental than the PS2 -> PS3 jump. I have no way of knowing of course.
                      Its been 7 years now for the 360 . Tech has moved n . The Jump should be still be big if only down to the fact of how long the 360 has lasted and of coruse memory will play its own part too

Comment

Well, I hope you're right. I got a PC recently and games on that *look* considerably better than PS3 or XBox. It's probably a pointless discussion until we have specs for the new consoles but, for example, the CPU jump isn't going to be that huge is it? A non-overclocked i5 equivalent is the best we can hope for. The current consoles have multi-core 3ghz CPUs in them already don't they? I suppose if they put the consoles out at ?300 and take a couple of hundred quid loss on each one they could match a ?600 PC (I'm thinking out loud). All that said, a 1080p 60fps MW4, Halo 4 and Killzone 4 would be enough to get gamers excited.

Comment

Well I didn't think the X-Box CPU was a leap was it ? > That console showed what having a kick ass GPU could do for your system . I sort of expect the same next gen where again RAM and GPU will be where its at.

Comment

Yes, more RAM is definitely required and a better GPU too. I agree with you there. Regarding the CPU though:

If we go from XBox to 360: Single Core 733MHz -> Triple Core 3.2GHz. Even ignoring other advances in CPUs that's massive. For an equivalent leap in 720 we'd need a 9 core 10GHz CPU.

Comment

always thought this gen was the first gen where developers could really do what they wanted...i remember during the psone/saturn days there were many limitations like psones ram and saturn's 3d graphics

Think ram would need to be faster aswell as bigger.Still puzzled on how multi core cpus actually speed up somethings anyone got a handy pic explaining how its faster then a single core ?

i think the next consoles may have a ssd/hdd hybrid hardrive

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                                always thought this gen was the first gen where developers could really do what they wanted...i remember during the psone/saturn days there were many limitations like psones ram and saturn's 3d graphics

Think ram would need to be faster aswell as bigger.Still puzzled on how multi core cpus actually speed up somethings anyone got a handy pic explaining how its faster then a single core ?

i think the next consoles may have a ssd/hdd hybrid hardrive
                                Multiple cores come in handy for more complex physics, more objects on screen, and will help overall performance if the programming is there.

Remember early 360 titles like kameo and cod 2?

Remember how awe inspiring it was to witness some of the scenes in cod where literally hundreds of troops raided a beach, or stormed a downed building, or in kameo where there was an actual war taking place in real time?

Those were release games too.

With a single core this kind of thing just would not be possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X