E230: Nintendo Reinvents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E230: Nintendo Reinvents

Cover is a strange one this month. It's made out of a slightly thicker layout paper, which outlines the shape of Wii-U pictured beneath:

Reviews

Duke Nukem Forever ? 3
    Shadows of the Damned ? 5
    Dungeon Seige III ? 7
    Frozen Synapse ? 9
    Red Faction: Armageddon ? 6
    Hunted: The Demon's Forge ? 6
    White Knight Chronicles 2 ? 4
    Alice: Madness Returns ? 5
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaires 3D ? 6

Previews

Battlefield 3
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Far Cry 3
    Uncharted 3
    Dead Island
    Journey
    Mass Effect 3
    Zelda Skyward Sword
    Xcom

Features

To Infinite And Beyond: Bioshock: Infinite.
    The Future Begins Here: Wii-U
    Friendly Fire: 2011 Classic Game Tournament
    The Making of... Left 4 Dead

Create

People: Ted Price (Insomniac Games)
    Places: Pandora (Borderlands)
    Things: Grappling Hook (Just Cause 2)
    Last edited by egparadigm; 04-07-2011, 11:53.

White Knight Chronicles 2 – 4 - that's harsh. It's not a bells & whistles RPG, but there's plenty of content to it, loads of customisation and a entire MMO like multiplayer aspect to it via the GeoNet. Also includes an enhanced version of the first game on the disc too. I reviewed for CM. Many have been criticising it for being a JRPG from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
      Previews

Battlefield 3
      Ninja Gaiden 3
      Far Cry 3
      Uncharted 3
      I read that as "reviews" and thought Edge was being particularly harsh this month. I was all set to subscribe so I could cancel it. Looks like a really dull month for (actual) reviews.

Comment

Pretty bland section of reviews.

That 9 reeks of holding games to different standard if it's an indie game to me.

Comment

I've heard nothing but good things about it from anyone that's played it.

Comment

It's a very *good* indie game though.

Comment

An Edge 9 is supposed to be more than very good though, it should be exceptional.

Guess I look at the screen shots, look at the game in action, read the reviews and it screams fiddly, complicated, vertical learning curve, ultra hardcore players... Not for me.

It's entirely possible my experience playing DOTA has clouded my views of indie multiplayer games though. Hopefully this game won't get you flamed to hell and back because you "won the wrong way"

Comment

I must admit it looks intriguing. Frozen Synapse, that is. $24.99 to get a copy for you and a mate too, very tempting. Oh god, the place you get 10% discount off does Hori VLX sticks in the UK too...

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE STARTED!

Comment

Hated the cover, but as usual the content is good.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                    An Edge 9 is supposed to be more than very good though, it should be exceptional.

Guess I look at the screen shots, look at the game in action, read the reviews and it screams fiddly, complicated, vertical learning curve, ultra hardcore players... Not for me.

It's entirely possible my experience playing DOTA has clouded my views of indie multiplayer games though. Hopefully this game won't get you flamed to hell and back because you "won the wrong way"
                    Frozen Synapse is easy to get into, its very accesible, but still challenging, its a perfectly balanced game thats a heck of alot of fun to play and is actualy relativley simple.

Theres nothing complicated, fiddly or ultra hardcore about it. And its also absolubtley fantastic and one of my favorite games of the year so far.

i also wouldnt call it a multiplayer game, the single player campaign is brilliant. The game deserves its score.
                    Last edited by rmoxon; 04-07-2011, 13:41.

Comment

The problem with so many of these games isn't so much as the difficulty in playing it, so much the difficulty in playing it in a way where you will not be completely and utterly destroyed.

Perfect example is SC/SC2. It's quick to pick up and you can probably play through the single player from scratch. If you then go on to playing online, you'll probably lose 18+ of your first 20 games.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        The problem with so many of these games isn't so much as the difficulty in playing it, so much the difficulty in playing it in a way where you will not be completely and utterly destroyed.

Perfect example is SC/SC2. It's quick to pick up and you can probably play through the single player from scratch. If you then go on to playing online, you'll probably lose 18+ of your first 20 games.
                        Frozen Synapse isnt really like any other strategy game though, its also not in real time, its turn based, with the exception that both teams take their turn at the same time, if that makes sense.

I havent even played the multiplayer yet to be honest, but i imagine it plays more like a team Deathmatch game (if one person could control all the team at once).

Its a unique game, I wouldnt compare it to any other strategy game at all really, I cant think of anything else like it off the top of my head anyway, though i guess there are hints of games like Laser Squad and Xcom about it.

Comment

After having watch a lengthy demo of Frozen Synapse on YouTube, I made a purchase on Steam where it's reduced to ?12.72 currently - seeing some very positive reviews for this game.

It reminds me of the the tactical games I used to play on the Speccy and Atari ST like Rebel Star and Laser Squad.

I seem to be struggling to give away the gift copy at the mo though ...

(Edit - Gift game has gone to Jebus now).
                          Last edited by MartyG; 04-07-2011, 17:11.

Comment

What made me laugh was the qr code on the infamous 2 ad promising prizes and trailers leads you to a page with the message "competition closed". The magazine is ten minutes old and I've missed the competition, who won it the trucking Flash!

Sony = online fail

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post

Duke Nukem Forever – 3
                              For god's sake.

Comment

Working...
                              X