X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Or just don't buy one?
    That's a passive response. Doing nothing. My doing nothing will allow others to do something stupid.

You don't understand QC, when I see this kind of stuff, I feel like I need to stop the entire world from buying an Xbox One. I have to save you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
      Has this been posted? The Xbox One with Kinect2 will officially check to see how many people are in a room before allowing you to play a game or watch a film. If there are more people than are licensed to consume this content, it won't let you do it. So if you're little brother runs into the room, or your dog, GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!.
      I mentioned earlier about how this possibly works:

Originally posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
      "Wired: So as another example, if I took my disc and went to a friend’s house, would I be able to play that game on his machine?

Harrison: Yes, you can. You can take your game around to your friend’s house just as you would today — that’s assuming you have a physical disc — and what we’re doing with the new Live technology is that… with the disc, it’s just a repository for “the bits”. You can put that disc into his drive, you can play the game while you’re there, and then you go home and take that disc with you. But actually, “the bits” are still on his drive. If your friend decides that he really likes to play that game, then he can go buy it instantly, and it doesn’t need to download again. It’s already there. Once he’s paid for it, it’s immediately there".

I think i understand this cryptic answer now. The facial recognition on the
      Kinect will be able to check who that disc is registered to (using the always on function) & if it isn't the correct user it wont work, hence it'll work when you take it to your mates but only if you're present. That's why you "take the disc home with you"

Comment

Dude. You aren't serious about that?

Comment

That's a passive response. Doing nothing. My doing nothing will allow others to do something stupid.

You don't understand QC, when I see this kind of stuff, I feel like I need to stop the entire world from buying an Xbox One. I have to save you all.
          Amen brother.

Comment

Just another thought on activating titles - you can forget getting games a couple of days early now and being able to play them as they simply won't activate until release date. It also leaves a question mark over whether an imported unit would work at all outside of its intended region (assuming anyone would even contemplate doing so).

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              To be fair that's a patent. Companies patent an awful lot of things and it doesn't mean that they're actually going to be implemented.

However if content was sold with limitations like 'maximum 3 simultaneous viewers', it would be truly the worst DRM of all time. Kinect is starting to feel less of a fun addition and more of a 1984 style telescreen, allowing Steve Ballmer's DRM elves to peer into your home to ensure that you're not committing thoughtcrimes.
              If you believe MCV to be a reliable source of news, ahem, they added this update to their article on this.

UPDATE: To address the question of the age of the patent. Yes, the patent is old. But we have been told by UK industry sources within the last month that this system will be implemented on Xbox One.

Comment

Guys...a question I haven't seen answered or asked is what happens in the distant future?

When MS stop supporting the One, will everything I've bought become useless because I won't be able to activate it or verify it every 24 hours?

It's a major concern to me as a retro fan and a collector.

Anybody seen that asked yet anywhere?

Comment

You'll get an achievement for watching four hours of East Enders.

That's go to be a positive for Xbox One right?

Comment

Originally posted by 25.05.2005 View Post
                    Guys...a question I haven't seen answered or asked is what happens in the distant future?

When MS stop supporting the One, will everything I've bought become useless because I won't be able to activate it or verify it every 24 hours?

I'd imagine Microsoft would be able to update the firmware to remove the requirement should they want or need to.

Comment

Pffft, forget that old crap. When they shut down the Xbox One there'll be all kinds of new stuff you'll want to play. Get with the times, man. The sun could explode next week and you're worrying about old Xbox One games.

Comment

You would think that by the time they are ready to shut it down they would just patch the service so that its no longer a problem. Otherwise any new games not owned would be fit for the bin.

Comment

Yep, they could firmware the requirement away however bring realistic they won't and access will disappear.

In the words of Optimus Prime... One shall fall

Wii shall rise!

Comment

Wargh missed a page and my post is irrelevant, ignore.

Originally posted by Sketcz
                            Pffft, forget that old crap. When they shut down the Xbox One there'll be all kinds of new stuff you'll want to play. Get with the times, man. The sun could explode next week and you're worrying about old Xbox One games.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              I'd imagine Microsoft would be able to update the firmware to remove the requirement should they want or need to.
                              That's what I hope, the final dashboard version removes all the DRM. But I guess we've got no way of knowing for sure, I doubt they'd announce something like that. It's a worry. Think of all the people that lost DLC from the original XBOX, and will now probably lose it for the 360. They've screwed people before, they'll do it again.

I now see your point. It was such "backwards thinking" of me. I guess I'll just have to "deal with it".

Comment

I now see your point. It was such "backwards thinking" of me. I guess I'll just have to "deal with it".

Was only kidding old chap. I falsely took the POV of the opposition to highlight how silly it is.

I have precisely the same concerns as you.

Comment

Working...
                                X