• Show
Clear All

That is me being nice, just letting you know its all on your shoulders Adam

Comment

Haha - cheers man! :-)
      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

You can all be heroes or villains, the decision is yours.

Comment

Don't blame poor Adam he needs a job at the end of this so he can afford Nintendo's latest and greatest. Right Adam

Comment

I think everybody's needs a job ETC, just Adam's must have more of a burden to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
              Don't blame poor Adam he needs a job at the end of this so he can afford Nintendo's latest and greatest. Right Adam
              With Trolling like this Adam should be on retainer in Nintendo PR.

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
              Wish i could contribute!

Certainly is an interesting time for the games industry :-)

...and im pleased Nintendo continue to do their own thing, regardless of what Sony or Microsoft do!
              Last edited by Pikate; 06-02-2013, 23:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                With Trolling like this Adam should be on retainer in Nintendo PR.
                You do know he is not trolling. He has probably had to sign a dozen NDA's (he works for Lionhead) so its not like he is going to risk his job to give us some news is he

Comment

Not sure how I feel about this but like most here I am not a collector of games per se, more someone who plays them and then uses those I've completed to offset purchasing new.

If this is to happen it is not only taking away from the pre-owned market and those companies that earn money from it but also from the end consumer that basically created it... those that do not want to own a game longer than its worth.

If this was going to work then really pricing would have to change dramatically or it immediately alienates a lof of possible purchasers of the product. That isnt to say it couldnt work and be profitable, but it couldnt be a fair practice at current pricing levels. Depending on how MS or Sony (or whoever decides this is their model) tackle this I am sure there will be a larger opportunity cost at initial purchase for most consumers... picking more wisely because they know it is something they are purchasing which cannot be sold.

Until Sony or MS unveil their approach its all open discussion with no concrete proof. But some of the technologies mentioned in this thread seem feasible, I for one had never even thought of a mobile authentication process away from having a live net connection.

I guess for now at least we know Sony is going to show "something" in a few weeks. Hopefully MS will as well so we're not all in the dark and presuming the worst case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
                    Wish i could contribute!

Certainly is an interesting time for the games industry :-)

...and im pleased Nintendo continue to do their own thing, regardless of what Sony or Microsoft do!
                    WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

I don't feel Nintendo are doing anything different, just just that they are just a japanese games company who doesn't fully understand the marketing potential outiside of japan (much like Sony) and who's main customer base is children, who don't have the facility to make microtransactions.

Comment

No winking and no nudging! Ha

Never been called a troll before! I can appreciate it probably looks like that, haha.

Probably best I stay clear of these types of threads, can't really add anything to the discussion so end up looking like a troll

And borris, very fair point.
                      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Originally posted by davek22 View Post
                        A lot of retail disc based PC games are steam activated. you buy them in tesco but cant play them until you activate on steam. once activated the disk is useless to anybody else. I don't see the difference in how the law would allow that but not on Xbox games?
                        Exactly. Steam has single-handedly killed the entire PC gaming market for me. **** Steam and **** Gabe Newell. I will never, ever buy another Steam activated game. As it is, Metro 2033 is little more than a coaster on my shelf now.

Man. **** Steam.

Comment

He has probably signed and NDA and signed off about certain things. I don't think there is anything preventing him from having some opinion just as long as he doesn't reveal what they are up to. I guess being near to the MS war machine leaves him with little he can say though :P

Originally posted by ETC View Post
                          You do know he is not trolling. He has probably had to sign a dozen NDA's (he works for Lionhead) so its not like he is going to risk his job to give us some news is he

Comment

Originally posted by davek22 View Post
                            A lot of retail disc based PC games are steam activated. you buy them in tesco but cant play them until you activate on steam. once activated the disk is useless to anybody else. I don't see the difference in how the law would allow that but not on Xbox games?
                            Originally posted by FSW View Post
                            It's not just download only with Steam though. I bought Skyrim, from Game, on a disc, in a proper box with a map and everything. I and to register it with Steam using the code inside the box though and now that game cannot be sold on.
                            Didn't know that happened, don't play that much non console stuff to be honest. Quite surprised it happens though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                              Exactly. Steam has single-handedly killed the entire PC gaming market for me. **** Steam and **** Gabe Newell. I will never, ever buy another Steam activated game. As it is, Metro 2033 is little more than a coaster on my shelf now.

Man. **** Steam.
                              For me, Steam has been a breath of fresh air to PC gaming. Its allowed me to buy games when they are on reduced prices during the steam sale at cost I'm happy to gamble at. It also gives me an excellent place to browse all types of games and see what I'd like to play.

I must say, though, I used to be strictly against digital purchasing because I was worried about not being able to resell them. Thats all gone away now that I'm buying them so cheaply. It does help that I've got some excellent games though.

Comment

if Microsoft seriously intends to stop me from playing used games and forces me to be online to play at all then... well, i guess i will boycott the new console - at least until Halo 5 shows up

Comment

Working...
                                X