Game & Gamestation: GAME credit woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA have this up:

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Amazon we go...

Comment

GAME Group (GAME and Gamestation) will not be stocking Wii game Mario Party 9, Eurogamer has heard. Nintendo has issued…

Not yet as big news but in the longer term potentially it could be, GAME & Gamestation will not be stocking Mario Party 9 either. Whilst not as big a release as ME3 it does represent the third Nintendo published release in a row after Tekken Prime and Last Story that the GAME group has missed which implies Nintendo's titles aren't far behind.

Eurogamer has been sent the internal memo emailed to GAME and Gamestation staff this morning which broke the news that …

They also have a copy of the memo.

Though comparitively small, Games X-Change is headed the same way and if GAME ends up similar to them I'd strongly recommend people use any credit they have or recieve through pre-order cancellations immediately. One of my mates has already been stung by G-Xchanges closures as they refused to transfer credit to an open store, wouldn't answer calls from their H/O and then outright denied him the credit. Not worth the risk, especially when they are clearly going under and in a rather undignified and messy manner.

Potentially, this could work out well for HMV. After their rescue package they will no doubt be looking at any opportunity to improve their position and being the only major entertainment retailer surviving could do them well if they handle it right.

Comment

Troubling time for Game and worse is yet to come no doubt, feel for the staff who are going to be effected by Games problems. I just reordered my Mass Effect 3 CE from shopto ?5 cheaper than Game so winner is me.

Comment

The online side of GAME still had my pre-order in place, but I've cancelled it anyway.

No EA and no Nintendo in March, which is the biggest month for releases of the year so far, probably means that's it for GAME.

Comment

Gamestation just informed me that I will get my ?5 deposit back, as well as ?5 of points on my Elite card. So gotta now spend ?90 in their stores.

Probably pick up two Vita titles and hopefully get a pre-order for Ridge Racer (if they stock it)

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              That's the best idea I can think of, tbh.
              Already did this on Saturday. I smell blood.

Comment

I can see it already, people will be running to game/gamestation to get their 3DS back, that they traded in for a psvita last week, for maybe ?50?

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
                  Gamestation just informed me that I will get my ?5 deposit back, as well as ?5 of points on my Elite card. So gotta now spend ?90 in their stores.Probably pick up two Vita titles and hopefully get a pre-order for Ridge Racer (if they stock it)
                  You'll be lucky, half the vita games that they have on sale in my local gamestation are downloable only (you just get a card with a code on) and they are more expensive than if you just buy them through the vita store.

Comment

Surely the GAME name, if nothing else, will be purchased and used by someone else? I mean, it's a pretty damned good name for a games shop.

Comment

Not worth it if the name is tainted in the minds of all the gamers burned by having their pre-orders cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
                        Surely the GAME name, if nothing else, will be purchased and used by someone else? I mean, it's a pretty damned good name for a games shop.
                        Doubtful, once a name becomes tarnished it doesn't matter if it gets taken over. It stays tarnished.

Comment

Comment

Zavvi and Woolworths are both names still around, even if online only. I know people hate zavvi but thats more to do with thehut groups **** delivery times and stock issues, not the original company.

And also GAME, judging by my experience both as a child and seeing people in GAME stores is that parents and non-gamers buying games for kids still see it as the go to place. That has to be a market worth something?

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
                              Zavvi and Woolworths are both names still around, even if online only. I know people hate zavvi but thats more to do with thehut groups **** delivery times and stock issues, not the original company.

And also GAME, judging by my experience both as a child and seeing people in GAME stores is that parents and non-gamers buying games for kids still see it as the go to place. That has to be a market worth something?
                              Problem is, parents and non-gamers aren't the markets game are looking to exploit (even though it probably is the only one they've successfully managed to do so with). If hardcore gamers turn their back on them then they're finished.

Comment

Potentially, though without a serious overhaul of their online practises too they'd likely struggle. The street presence aspect really is GAME's biggest weapon.

Comment

Working...
                                X