No announcement yet.

Kickstarter thread and what would you like to see kickstarted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remarkably identical to Halo CE, which just about acceptable many many years ago and even then only because everything else was garbage.

Comment

Heh, indeed.

Comment

AI is a false goal in gaming terms. To make it look properly human we should aim for Real Stupidity or RS. I'd kickstart that.

Comment

There's already loads of AI middleware out there. The main problem I've encountered in my career of making games with bad AI is that the AI is caught somewhere between decent or poor design, not enough coding resources given to it and management asking for it to be made easier. The kids (and therefore management) want a high kills per minute ratio so we have to create weak AI that do intelligent things but are never alive long enough to display it, or do stupid things that make them easy to kill.

Comment

Not interested in what the kids want!
            Management want whatever is currently successful I imagine.
            I have a pretty clear idea of what AI middleware should be (not restrained by any knowledge of the industry lol) but I'll take a look at what's out there, cheers chopes!

Comment

All game's should use Fa?ade's AI.
              You can then talk your way out of a gunfight or act so bizarrely the enemies run away.

Comment

Sorry, hope you didn't interpret that as me taking a dump on your suggestion. My only point was that poor AI is not the fault of middleware, it is the fault of lack of ambition or lack of resources. I'm all for new tools, especially one that puts more control in the hands of designers to take away reliance on overstretched code departments, that's where the bottleneck lies. I've never used a good AI tool that allowed me to do what I want with the AI without everything having to go through code. That would be a dream come true.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  P.S. you're not the only one to get a mention in Sketcz' book!
                  Just realised I'm in there too

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                    Sorry, hope you didn't interpret that as me taking a dump on your suggestion. My only point was that poor AI is not the fault of middleware, it is the fault of lack of ambition or lack of resources. I'm all for new tools, especially one that puts more control in the hands of designers to take away reliance on overstretched code departments, that's where the bottleneck lies. I've never used a good AI tool that allowed me to do what I want with the AI without everything having to go through code. That would be a dream come true.
                    Not at all. Interesting to hear the reasons why there has never been any decent AI in a game. Like many things, it'll take one team to make a stand, produce decent AI and get critical and commercial success before any major studios consider the investment though.

Comment

they are really making progress on that game now

Comment

"Continuing the work of Gerry Anderson, Firestorm is a new science fiction series utilising puppetry, miniatures and practical effects!"

Comment

tempted but wish it had a full on single player mode

oh did anyone try there previous game planetary annihlation ?

Comment

think i have to give major kudos to the makers of project nimbus now in its alpha stage and they have a forum on steam and they really are taking on feedback. One bug was mentioned and a few hours later a patch came out fixing it

Comment

Here's a bit I wrote about John's book: http://www.bordersdown.net/content/7...VD-and-Book%29

Comment

Its a stellar book but I hope that the court proceedings don't bury the second and third volumes. I'll be gutted if it's never finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X