• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is Gavin training up as?

Comment

Originally posted by Sidez
      Who is Gavin training up as?
      (Gavin from Phantagram)

He's not training up >_< - He's already got THE sickest Aoi I have ever challenged, the most disgusting Akira, Lei Fei and his Lau is just plain unfair!

He's my nemesis on VF4 now, I'm training up to beat him (it was level yesterday) - but he has a friend who is an absolute nightmare to fight against and I need to challenge that brer again!

Comment

Heh, too bad I have no competition here. Glad I was right about Quest Mode though, I knew it would be excellent.

My VF4E should arrive by the end of the week so until then i'm just dicking around in kumite.

Comment

All using a joypad too. 8)

Hi there! See u this friday/saturday night.

Comment

Just out of interest Saurian, are you playing the Jap or US version. I can get the Jap version of Tokuda at a good price, but is it better to invest in the US version?

Comment

Originally posted by wazy15
              Just out of interest Saurian, are you playing the Jap or US version. I can get the Jap version of Tokuda at a good price, but is it better to invest in the US version?
              The only version available is the Japanese version. Not sure when its getting a US release, and there is no point waiting for it either.

The point of any fighting game (as well as the fun part) is to get good at it and hone your skills and really get into the groove with your chosen fighter- there are no language barriers in this game that prevent you from doing that. Quest mode is in Japanese, but its dead easy to work out- all you are doing is challenging people in virtual arcades and entering tournaments.

Comment

Are there any VF4:Evo vids floating about (other than the one above)?

Comment

Tokuda: the point in waiting is to see if they fix the frankly broken kumite system. Having said that, the best thing to do would be to buy a japanese copy and a US (or Euro) copy. Unfortunately as a poor student I don't have enough disposable cash to do that...

Comment

There is no issue regarding language in VF4

The tutorial and training modes (like most beat em ups) are visual and explainations are paired up with visual demonstrations of techs.

It's by far the deepest and most chellenging beat em up I have yet played and it's gonna take me AGES to master! I've been a VF head since VF1 in the arcades, this is by far the best VF and a massive step up from VF4.

Any other company would release it as VF5! (2 new characters *both totally SICK!!!11!*, all other characters reworked *completely in places* all stages are different, all music is different)

Quest mode is amazing - it really feels like you are playing against human opponents. Each "person" you challenge has their own habits and play style, you blatantly remember each player by their style. I think thats an incredible acheivement by AM2.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie angel
                      Are there any VF4:Evo vids floating about (other than the one above)?
                      Theres a video in the final couple of matches showing the winner of a recent Japanese tournament in Fuddle`s tournament videos thread (probably page 4,5 or 6 by now).

He posted them in his opening post, but these videos then got taken off. Later on in the same thread, he found them again on a foreign website of sorts. Hopefully they should still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                        Any other company would release it as VF5! (2 new characters *both totally SICK!!!11!*, all other characters reworked *completely in places* all stages are different, all music is different)

Quest mode is amazing - it really feels like you are playing against human opponents. Each "person" you challenge has their own habits and play style, you blatantly remember each player by their style. I think thats an incredible acheivement by AM2.
                        Totally- no one is playing the original VF4 now- theres simply no point.

And the AI is indeed amazing. This is probably the first fighter where you can truly and honestly get better by practising against the computer opponents. In other fighting games to improve properly you NEED the competition.

In all other fighters fighting against the AI opponents will help you learn your move routines better but may make you learn some bad habits as the AI is usually unrealistic or cheap. For example I knew someone who fancied himself on Cali before he played me. He`d caned the computer AI and was proud in his achievement that he could get through ultra hard mode without losing a credit (woopee). Anyway, we had a few matches and he didn`t even come close to getting a round off me.

Comment

Right, I'm training up as Kage and Vanessa. I'm pretty much starting from scratch with this game so any tips would be cool. Hopefully we can sort out a few challenges on this game in the coming months after a bit of practice.

Comment

Although I`m still a novice at the game- heres some tips

1) Go to my Soul Calibur advice thread and follow my steps about how to learn a move or two a day through training mode. This piece of advice applies to both Cali and Evo.

2) Try not to always follow your characters set combo routines through - Lets look at one of Lau`s set combos for example, P, P, P, 1 + k (which performs 3 quick punches and then a sweep). If the sweep is blocked, you are badly exposed. If you keep following through all your characters set combos, you will be too predicatable and will often have this last move of the combo blocked by your opponent. If this happens, you are in the **** as your opponent then has a free hit or the opportunity to throw you. Rather it is much better to keep varying your moves, up and down, and keep your opponent guessing. Jabbing and darting in and out where you can, and choosing the times to really do the damage carefully is the best way to play the game as it is much more cat and mouse than something like Soul Calibur.

3) Countering throws- One of the keys in really getting good at the game. Something I haven`t even begun to learn properly yet (have a basic understanding). Throws do devastating damage (particularly Wolfs and Jeffreys) and are a massive massive part of the game. Learning to consistently counter them will make you a much much tougher player to beat.

Comment

Just heard that the US and UK version will more or less get a simultaneous release sometime in the summer(Few months), not too long for those of us who aint got our machines chipped!

Comment

I got my Japanese PS2 today so have started to play this game. What controller are people using for this game? The normal pad or an arcade stick, and if an arcade stick which one?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X