Who's buying a PS3 instead of a PS2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's buying a PS3 instead of a PS2?

I know most of you already have a PS2, but I think I'm gonna wait and get a PS3, and a huge back catalogue of PS2 games will open up for me.

This is the first step towards a world where people don't feel the need to update their consoles every generation! It's crazy.

I've got so many games to complete and look forward to on the GC and XB, I really havn't got time for a PS2 now! I'll wait until a big game that I want to play is released on the PS3 and get one and a load of old PS2 games.

Hardware is all ****ed up!

Well there's still quite a few more years yet until PS3 arrives.

By the time it does get released, i probably would have gone through a couple more PS2's due to the lasers going out on me.

Comment

Geektanic, that's my concern. The way the the big three are talking about 'competition' and 'head-starts' it would seem we can expect all 3 consoles by next summer! Although, were we to believe everything we were told hook, line and sinker, we'd be sorely dissapointed.

I can't imagine Sony allowing the PS2 to stay on a saturated market for too long though, and allow other brands to gain household status. I expect that you'll start to hear a lot of announcements when PS2 sales really start to ebb.

Comment

I just couldn't live without my PS2. Imo it has the most essential selection of games of all the formats. The price is now lower than ever too. If you really can wait until PS3 before you play any of the amazing PS2 titles available, then you have a lot more will-power than me.

Comment

Nope, but my PS2 is ****ed now - I'm constantly getting disk read errors, even on brand new games and DVD's. So I might just wait for PS3 instead of buying another as I don't have a huge selection of games anyway. I hope PS3 has better build quality.

Then again, I'm desperate for some Gitaroo Man love.

Comment

Originally posted by Max M
            I hope PS3 has better build quality.
            Hahaha! A Sony product with a good build quality? What planet are you on!?

That said, I've never had any problems with my PS2 and my faithful old PS1 is still going strong but I know many people who've had trouble with theirs. These Sony consoles are such fragile babies.

Comment

I have an original 10000 series Japanese PS2, one of the first batch produced. Still works fine. It gets a hell of a lot of use too. I can only imagine that SONY built the first consoles manufactured to very high standards so that they wouldn't catch any flak early on for shoddy build quality. I know people that have far newer PS2s that have suffered all kinds of problems with the laser units.

Comment

Originally posted by nips
                I'm gonna wait and get a PS3, and a huge back catalogue of PS2 games will open up for me.
                If you bought a PS2 then a huge back catalogue of PS2 games would open up for you.
                What makes you think you will have time to play them once the PS3 comes out?

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                  Originally posted by Max M
                  I hope PS3 has better build quality.
                  Hahaha! A Sony product with a good build quality? What planet are you on!?
                  A decade ago that would have been true. I've had Sony products easily last 10 years or more. Today is a different matter...
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

okay, hands up all those who still now constantly play PS1 games on their PS2 instead of current PS2 stuff?

exactly, it'll b nice on PS3 when there isn't much PS3 content out, but once that starts to come, u'll b cursing yourself for not playin the PS2 stuff sooner.

Comment

I'm with Smeghead. There simply isn't enough time in the day to play all the latest games, let alone to play them thoroughly. There's no reason to imagine that this will change in the next generation. Hey, there'll probably be more games than ever before...
                      I'd recommend you get a PS2 now, and play the games that you want.
                      Another thing: How hard is it going to be to chip a PS3? It took quite a while to get a near-perfect PS3 chip, and unless you plan on buying a couple of PS3s, you're going to be stuck with single region PS1,2 and 3 games. You could get around the PS 1 + 2 bits right now by getting a modded PS2.

BUT
                      On the other hand, if you've got more important stuff to spend your money on, don't hold that off just to get a games console. Games are fun, but they're just games.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeghead
                        okay, hands up all those who still now constantly play PS1 games on their PS2 instead of current PS2 stuff?

exactly, it'll b nice on PS3 when there isn't much PS3 content out, but once that starts to come, u'll b cursing yourself for not playin the PS2 stuff sooner.
                        hand goes up

Ive about 80 PS2 titles and owned the console since day one, yet I hardly touch PS2 games these days. I think the console did was it was supposed to do in 2001, and now most of the stuff is just imitations, sequels that add nothing, games with the same engine and just what we've had before.. only they can get away with it because the installed base and sales were so low back then ft:

my PSX collection is still going strong.. the FF series, codemasters psx games, wipeout series, alundra, grandia, broken sword, rollcage, tomb raider 1-4 and many others seem to have outlived their console and a lot of newer titles..

Comment

I have pre-ordered my PS3, 4,5,6,7 and 8 already!

Come on is this a serious post? You are gonna wait!!!!

Comment

I'll never buy a PS2 because of all the problems I witnessed other people having with theirs. You are lucky if yours work; I don't want that lame-built toaster. There are of course games that would be worth getting into, I'm just hoping that the next PS will be a more reliable system to play them on.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                              Originally posted by nips
                              I'm gonna wait and get a PS3, and a huge back catalogue of PS2 games will open up for me.
                              If you bought a PS2 then a huge back catalogue of PS2 games would open up for you.
                              What makes you think you will have time to play them once the PS3 comes out?
                              Yeah, my logic is that it's one purchase instead of two, and with a large amount of games on the other two platforms, I simply don't have the time now. Possibly at the end of the other two consoles life cycle, while there are only a few good titles on the PS3 (Should it adhere to the PS2 example) I'll have time to buy all these great PS2 games, at a much lower price too

My point is, really, are constant generation updates along with backwards compatibility really a good way forwards?

Comment

Working...
                              X