No announcement yet.

The Best Olympic Video Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is there no love for PS Track and Field? Everyone had a Saturn?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
      Why is there no love for PS Track and Field? Everyone had a Saturn?
      Maybe, but in my case, having played both extensively it's that I believe Athlete Kings to be superior in every aspect apart from two - T&F had a few more events, and was 4-player (not that many people had multi-taps back then).

It's just the controls. I always felt T&F was too fiddly, whereas AK had very clearly defined controls with a HUD that indicated what you needed to know extremely well.

This is a personal thing, too, but I hate the "rubbing the pad" method of playing T&F. I preferred AK because the Saturn's pad didn't allow you to do that (the run buttons on AK were concave). The arcade version of the game actually only had 1 run button.

Comment

Yeah good point on the one button method. Were there no "cheating" techniques for the 1 button control?

Comment

I quite like Olympic gold on the game gear for some reason... But my heart belongs to the classics that came out on the C64 by Epyx, such as Summer Games 2, Winter Games and Wolrd Games... The part where you select your country was most memorable...

Comment

Yeah good point on the one button method. Were there no "cheating" techniques for the 1 button control?
            No, apart from autofire pads (not sure it had a detection algorithm like T&F).

Comment

Virtua athlete on the dreamcast is awesome

Comment

Long time since I've played it but couldn't you just reconfigure the controls to have multiple "run" buttons and then mash away using more than one finger? Sure I used to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by BearBoy View Post
                  Long time since I've played it but couldn't you just reconfigure the controls to have multiple "run" buttons and then mash away using more than one finger? Sure I used to do that.
                  You could configure two, yes - but most of the events didn't require button mashing. Even so, the Saturn's pad didn't allow for the "with a sock" method that the Playstation games promoted.

Comment

Working...
                  X