This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More trouble at Edge towers...

From Gamestyle. Seems Edge is left with only one writer now!

Regular readers will be aware of the high profile resignation of Joao Diniz-Sanches (editor of Edge magazine), who tended his resignation due to actions by Future Publishing. This was soon followed by the resignation of his deputy editor.

Gamestyle is now aware that the rest of the writing team has handed in their respective resignations - with the exclusion of Margaret Robertson, who recently joined the magazine.

Just what does this mean for the future of Edge? Any new direction is likely to be met with much debate from the Edge devotees, whilst Games TM looks set to pick up the pieces.
    Could be bad, could be good. In one sense I'd be pleased for them to bring some new blood in, but on the other hand, if it's going to go too mainstream, does it really matter? I only really buy Games TM these days anyway, but it would still be sad if it folded. Next month's issue should certainly be interesting. Hopefully Margeret wont have to write it on her own.

Originally posted by Max M
    From Gamestyle. Seems Edge is left with only one writer now!

Regular readers will be aware of the high profile resignation of Joao Diniz-Sanches (editor of Edge magazine), who tended his resignation due to actions by Future Publishing. This was soon followed by the resignation of his deputy editor.

Gamestyle is now aware that the rest of the writing team has handed in their respective resignations - with the exclusion of Margaret Robertson, who recently joined the magazine.

Just what does this mean for the future of Edge? Any new direction is likely to be met with much debate from the Edge devotees, whilst Games TM looks set to pick up the pieces.
    Could be bad, could be good. In one sense I'd be pleased for them to bring some new blood in, but on the other hand, if it's going to go too mainstream, does it really matter? I only really buy Games TM these days anyway, but it would still be sad if it folded. Next month's issue should certainly be interesting. Hopefully Margeret wont have to write it on her own.
    Yes, I can see it now:

"And in this month's magazine, we review one game. And due to time constraints, it had to be short. And something we'd played before. So on with the review of Space Invaders".

Hah, if this is true, it should be interesting. Feel sorry for Margaret. Looks like everyone will blame her for next month's issue. After all, she is now the most experienced non-freelance Edge staff now.

Quick to the Edge-signal Commisioner. Edgeham city is in trouble. It's time to call Mott-man!

Comment

Ouch. That isn't good at all. Who's going to write the features/articles? If they end up like the ones in GamesTM I'll be sorely dissapointed.

I suppose its a consolation that the art team haven't quit. They're the most talented of the entire crew.

Comment

If Future are not willing to let Edge take its own path rather than pandering to the casual gamer, then they should put it out of it's misery.

Seems like the staff have chosen to try and do just that themselves. Future must be thanking their lucky stars for the decision to keep content relatively anonymous.

Whilst there are aspects and periods of the magazine that are better than others, its hard to criticise their approach of research, context, and analysis.

My personal view is that the features were generally good, and the reviews had become self-parody. I'd like to have seen the review section cut down and more straightforward, leaving any greater analysis to the articles.

Regardless, it would be sad to see the magazine go, but I'd rather that than have it limp along with entirely new staff aping what has gone before.

Interesting that the very first rumours of Edge trouble a couple of weeks ago centered around the whole writing staff leaving. Are we sure this isn't just recycled info?

Comment

Absolutely. One thing I'd like to point out though, is that there are more contributors to Edge than there were staff members anyway. As far as I'm aware, they will carry on contributing.

Comment

**** me. My extensive collection of voodoo dolls and illicit black magic actually worked this time. w00t.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
              **** me. My extensive collection of voodoo dolls and illicit black magic actually worked this time. w00t.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus

You feel that strongly over a magazine?
                What did they do to piss you off?

Comment

Don't start

Please

Comment

Damn. Looks like i'l quit buying mags altogether, nothing comes close to Edge

Comment

Originally posted by Prine
                      Damn. Looks like i'l quit buying mags altogether, nothing comes close to Edge
                      I heard this is meant to be quite good.

Comment

Ill think of it as a new, and potentially positive start. Im not calling in the Grim Reaper to Edge just yet

And Cacky, please be nice ok?

Comment

Those EDGE Magazine collectors must be rubbing thier hands together in glee as the potential price of thier collection sky rockets.

This appears to be a double EDGEd sword. It could be good and allow the magaine to grow, evolve and create a better magazine. Or the mag could become ceomplete trash.

I personally would hate to see the magazine go. I very much enjoy reading it, and have found the recent comical EDGE to the magazine rather uplifting and a detachment from the sterotype of the magazine... but I don't think the point of this thread is to offer our own opinions of the magazine.

I just hope that we get something good as a result.

Comment

Just imagine how tragic it would be were this forum to be devoid of the wonderful monthly "Edge scores" threads.

I just hope to god that little ray of sunshine remains in my life, I dont think I could cope without it.

(insert appropriate smiley here)

Comment

Yeah, as much as I moan, I do love Edge's humour. I remember them saying that paper, scissors, stone had more depth than SSB:M and I roared my head off. As much as I spent playing that game, they were right! And the "Golden Hamster game", hehehe.

Their only problem is that they report the truth. Which is depressing. Maybe they could try and be a bit more chirpy, not CV&G style, maybe NTSC-UK style. But I'd be sad to see it go. Plus I'd miss Redeye's ability to piss me off during the first read through, and then realising that he's right after my second go!

Comment

Working...
                              X