No announcement yet.

Soul Calibur 2 - impressions and comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having problems playing through Weapons Master mode; with all the Japanese text it's impossible to understand what the task is that I must complete - are there any guides/translations on the net?

I'd agree that the leap in graphics isn't as much as it was from Edge to Calibur, or even from Arcade to DC, but the refinements have all helped to enhance the experience and I can't really complain with the visual improvements, because there really isn't anything to fault.

Some of the move changes in Mitsurugi will take some getting used to and the omission of Hwang is a huge oversight imo, I know he's very similiar to YunSeung but there are some key differences in fighting repertoire which are, let's say, annoying.

Nevertheless, I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who's played and liked Soul Calibur, there's a lot here to keep you interested.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
      Poor old link. So it all comes down to him being a nancy boy. It makes me laugh though that this is the look people want for link in his next adventure - The so called "Realistic" pantomine look.

Nintendo should keep cel shaded link and create a new Dark Elf for more adult Zelda style adventures.
      Actually though, I loved the appearance of new look zelda from day one.

However, the people who didn't like it wanted an 'realistic' looking Zelda game, not a 'realistic' Link in a completely different game.

Comment

Yeh but how can a pantomine dressed elf be taken seriously in a realistic Zelda adventure?

If Nintendo do drop fantastic Cel Shaded Link then they need a brand new darker Adult link model and not the Half elf/half lady boy Spaceworld 2000/Soul Caliber 2 variety.

But I've gone off topic so back on we go!

Have to look into a SC2 GC and Hori Stick combo buy from good old Tok

Comment

to me its nothing to do with Links model - its to do with his movelist etc which doesn't make the leap into the SC2 universe that Spawn does ... and a projectile attack (bleh)

from the 3 versions i have to say that the GC one is the worst .... this is down to the bonus character and the basic controller setup

camps

Comment

Originally posted by camps
            to me its nothing to do with Links model - its to do with his movelist etc which doesn't make the leap into the SC2 universe that Spawn does ... and a projectile attack (bleh)
            Doesn't Spawn have a projectile?

Comment

Originally posted by C'
              Doesn't Spawn have a projectile?
              His Evil chains?

Comment

not found one yet

Ivy has her chain sword - which i don't consider to be a projectile weapon - so if the chain is similar to this then no he hasn't

Comment

from the 3 versions i have to say that the GC one is the worst .... this is down to the bonus character and the basic controller setup

camps
                  But the iddle boxes are so pweddy...

I've gone for the GC version - control is no probs (thanks to Hori) & I have no intention of playing as Link (as I wouldn't either of the other bonus characters)

In fact, handing out a doing to Link is quite appealling...

Comment

Ive never considered myself as being a Soul fan, right from the beginning with Soul Edge so I wasn't particuarly excited about playing it. Ive always preferred Tekken over Soul, even despite the disappointing Tekken 4 - my bad, I know

Ive yet to receive my XB version, but so far Ive played the PS2, and Cube versions. Ill pop up more thoughts on the XB version which I should get tomorrow.

So far I like the game, but no more than the previous Soul games. If Namco were going to release a game which would drag me kicking and screaming into loving their franchise its not this one. I know the game has changed at a technical level from the original SC, but since Im no expert on the previous Dreamcase release I don't notice it. Therefore it feels very similar to me, and isn't particuarly refreshing to play. I think it will remain in my collection just like the other two Soul games, but one that I will only play from time to time, and mostly with friends.

Personally I think the Cube version looks stronger than the PS2 one. Ive seen slowdown in the PS2 version, which is absent in the Gamecube release. While this isn't terrible, it is still annoying. The difference isn't huge, but it is present. Its not surprising really since the game is based on middleware and therefore basically the same on all three consoles. Im looking forward to see the XB version tomorrow which in theory should be the best looking out of the lot. Still, to finish on a positive note the conversion on the PS2 is a very good standard to begin with so there isn't really much to moan about.

As for the additional characters. I like Heihachi, and Link so far. As I said I prefer Tekken so I quite enjoyed playing him on the PS2 version. It is slightly strange that he doesn't have physical weapons, but he controls and plays well. Link - I like alot. So he looks "different" from the other SC characters, but so does Spawn. Infact the only new character which really fits in with the look is Heihachi despite the lack of weapons. I think the Link model looks great, and he plays pretty well. Im sure more dedicated SC fans will find any holes in his abilites, but for me I like him. Im looking forward to giving Spawn a go tomorrow.

Thats it so far. Overall I like it, but feel its not groundbreaking. Looking forward to playing the XB version tomorrow, and comparing it to the other two. If I was to mark it via initial impressions I would need to go 7/10.

Comment

I think ganondorf would have fit into the world much better than Link.

Comment

Cerventes had his lightening bolt move - i can't remember the exact name of it - which basically functioned as a projectile attack in the first game. It was also a lot faster than Link's projectile moves in this game. The most effective use of Link's arrows, as far as I can see, is in close combat and it really doesn't disturb the balance of the game at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nada Surf
                          Cerventes had his lightening bolt move - i can't remember the exact name of it - which basically functioned as a projectile attack in the first game. It was also a lot faster than Link's projectile moves in this game. The most effective use of Link's arrows, as far as I can see, is in close combat and it really doesn't disturb the balance of the game at all.
                          Difference being, for that move Cerventes himself becomes the projectile. If he messes it up, or the defending player guards well/doges, Cerventes is liable to face some serious punishment. If you dodge and arrow or a boomerang or whatnot Link still has the distance between himself and his opponent to make such counters less useful.

Comment

has anyone tried loading it with freeloader?

Comment

Actually Spawn does have a projectile attack- I can`t remember how you do it (I think its back + horizontal + vertical).

Comment

Originally posted by fiesta16v
                                has anyone tried loading it with freeloader?
                                Yep, works perfectly.
                                ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Working...
                                X