Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are the Korean sets crap in Korea as well, then? Or is it a Fender sort of situation, where they keep the "good" stuff for the home country and sell foreign-produced exports elsewhere?

Comment

Not that Korean stuff is crap but it's made on the cheap so it won't last. The good Japanese stuff is kept in Japan for a reason. They can't afford to sell it in the west due to the cheaper competition. People don't care about quality built stuff it would seem these days. All they want is the biggest screen at the cheapest price. They don't seem to think about how long it will last.

Comment

Yep saying the same at work. Cheap competition, especially with LCD sets has killed the market.

Comment

Thank you. I'm glad you understand the market. The demand for lower prices has reduced the quality of goods. Sure, you can get a kick ass LG 50 inch screen for under 450 pounds but it won't last nore is is built to last. As I said in an earlier post, TV are expensive here for a reason.

Comment

Not doubting you but surely nowadays most people replace/upgrade TV's before they break? Can't say I know of any friends whose LCD/LED TV has packed up before they've bought another - either moving to 1080p back in the day or to a bigger screen, LED etc etc.

Comment

Probably. However, my Mother's purchase of a 40" 1080p Sony before it was decided that blu-ray was going to be the leading format resulted in us owning said TV with the old DVD/VHS combi from many years ago. The panel gave up the ghost before we even properly started using it, awful display from Sony. After borrowing my Mum's boyfriend's Mum's (lol) old 37" Sony plasma (this thing didn't even have HDMI) we finally got a 48" Sony Smart TV that also has nothing hooked up to it - but at least it has Freeview HD, iPlayer and Netflix built in.

My Dad's situation is equally amusing, 50" LG plasma he's owned since 2003 that takes 30 minutes to power on and kicks out as much heat as a 500W space heater - still hasn't gotten around to upgrading that and saving himself a bunch of money each year.

TVs are so ridiculously cheap now and vastly superior to what was available even just 5 years ago now, it's pretty amazing!

Comment

My dear Toshiba 28" CRT died recently (into clicky-clicky safety mode, anyway), and one TV repair guy I called seemed almost disgusted at my mere suggestion of wanting to know how much it would cost to repair. "Just get a new one would be best" was his reply.

We live in such a throw-away, consumption-crazy world these days with electronics, but I've never understood it myself. Manufacturers are having to adapt to the way consumers are behaving, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                  My dear Toshiba 28" CRT died recently (into clicky-clicky safety mode, anyway), and one TV repair guy I called seemed almost disgusted at my mere suggestion of wanting to know how much it would cost to repair. "Just get a new one would be best" was his reply.
                  Maybe the necessary parts are hard to come by and he was trying to put you off. But I do agree that we're in a throw away society. I'm trying my best to let my plasma die naturally rather than replace it with the next fancy TV I see for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                    That's rot (rotphunte) from the neo forums - there are plenty of other videos with games covering his parts

Used to be a post master in Manchester but now I think he owns a wine shop
                    Mmmhh... hello...

I just want to say that I forgot i had registered here and I apologise I am not that active a member.

I sorta have more pressing concerns on Ng.com.. however, i am very impressed with this site.

BUSTER... I changed my username to Rot on Ng.com and i am no longer a post-master... i sorta own a Pawn shop...

xROTx

Comment

My "modern" game room/setup at this moment :

desk :

closet :

and offcourse something gotta have something nice to sit :

I'll post my "retro" room once i can make it all nice and tidy as it's a complete mess at the moment that may be more interesting to see since it's import stuff all the way.

Comment

Is having a landline not retro enough?

Comment

Batphone.

Like the black Wii. Need to get me a black case for mine.

Comment

Be been scratching my hucard itch a fair bit lately.

Comment

I wonder how many of those have passed through my hands.

Comment

Most of them have come from ebay Japan, a few from big al's sales thread.

The Dracula x was your minter for Definate.

Comment

Working...
                                X