This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    Man, that is one crazy ass bass speaker you have there. Where abouts did you locate it as I can't see it next to the TV.
    Lol yeah it is a bit large.

Nope no space at the front it goes at the rear in my setup...

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Never seen those monitor audio speakers before Neil, are they new out?
    No the Mass have been out for a few years.
    Mine are actually ex Display & I've had them packed away for over a year

Even without the sub on they have enough weight to give a real feel to a lot of what I'm watching.

Neil

Comment

Yeah, they make good speakers, love the ones I have.

Comment

Perfect place to photoshop in a CPS Changer...

Comment

Soundwave, I'm sure that's an amazing set up, but if I visited, I'd probably be disappointed that all the cool things you buy are mostly in your storage unit, and the most prominent thing on display are your daughter's My Little Pony toys!
          I'd love to hear that stereo cranked up, though!

Fuse, what time do you want me to call round? If you're going out, leave the key under the mat and I'll let myself in.

Joking aside, that's an absolutely lovely set up you have. You can tell a lot of us are envious of that!

There's a possibility that I might be able to get a projector in the future as the missus wants to redecorate and move rooms about.
          Can you guys be honest about how much you use your projectors?
          Are they a faff and do you end up using a television more instead?
          Do they make the room hot? Are they quite noisy?
          Anybody use the 3D on theirs? Is it convincing or headache inducing?
          Are the lightbulbs really expensive?
          Do the rooms have to be dark to be remotely useful?
          This looks a good deal for a starter package. Is the Optoma S311 any good?

I may just get some older kit that somebody is offloading on eBay, but basically, if you had the chance to go the projector route again, would you bother?

I recently attended the Ideal Home Show at the Olympia in London and was blown away by the garden cinema room by Crown Pavilions. It had a hot tub, bar and a 4K surround sound cinema in it! I liked the fixed-frame screen by Projecta that they used.

Comment

Can you guys be honest about how much you use your projectors?

I only really use mine for watching films and PS4 gaming (So not often for gaming right now), not general TV.

Are they a faff and do you end up using a television more instead?

Mine is permanently set up, so it's good to go in seconds.

Do they make the room hot? Are they quite noisy?

Not really, there's fan noise but pretty unobtrusive.

Anybody use the 3D on theirs? Is it convincing or headache inducing?

Never have, never will.

Are the lightbulbs really expensive?

I *think* they're about ?100 for my model.

Do the rooms have to be dark to be remotely useful?

Most have options for light rooms to make the image stronger, I use mine in the daytime no bother with the blinds turned in a still fairly bright room.

Comment

Thanks Ikobo Colin.

I appreciate your feedback. I'll start making some tentative measurements!
              I can feel myself teetering on the edge of the abyss...

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Yeah, they make good speakers, love the ones I have.
                When I was looking for new speakers I was pretty much only interested in MA stuff.
                I originally looked at the Radius stuff but scored a good deal on the Ex Demo MASS (TBH I doubt they were ever set up, couldn't see a mark on them & the boxes didn't even look like they were opened before & the packaging inside looked untouched) so went for them instead.

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                Perfect place to photoshop in a CPS Changer...
                I have no idea what that means...assume it was directed at my pictures?

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Soundwave, I'm sure that's an amazing set up, but if I visited, I'd probably be disappointed that all the cool things you buy are mostly in your storage unit, and the most prominent thing on display are your daughter's My Little Pony toys!
                I'd love to hear that stereo cranked up, though!
                Lol it is a shame but when you consider the size of the Pony collection it's much easier to display then the stuff I have

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post

I have no idea what that means...assume it was directed at my pictures?
                  It was a tactic to upset japjac err i mean flapjac, everyone photoshops a cps changer into their collection pics to make them look really common, so common that every member on here owns one lol.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    It was a tactic to upset japjac err i mean flapjac, everyone photoshops a cps changer into their collection pics to make them look really common, so common that every member on here owns one lol.
                    Lol I get it now...sorry for being a bit dumb

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      Hahaha, never knew that. Will do that on my next pics coming this week.

Comment

1. Can you guys be honest about how much you use your projectors?
                        2. Are they a faff and do you end up using a television more instead?
                        3. Do they make the room hot? Are they quite noisy?
                        4. Anybody use the 3D on theirs? Is it convincing or headache inducing?
                        5. Are the lightbulbs really expensive?
                        6. Do the rooms have to be dark to be remotely useful?
                        7. This looks a good deal for a starter package. Is the Optoma S311 any good?
                        8. I may just get some older kit that somebody is offloading on eBay, but basically, if you had the chance to go the projector route again, would you bother?
                        1. Yes all the time!
                        2. Not at all, but this will depend on how your setup works - having a permanent fixing is not a million miles rom having a wall-mounted TV from a usability point of view, but if you're going to be putting it away / adjusting it all the time then I guess this may take its toll on how bothered you can be.
                        3. They obviously do make noise and heat, but it's comparable to any other piece of tech from what I've found. If you're sensitive to this kinda thing (or live in a cell) then it may be worth doing some homework on emissions for each one.
                        4. The one time I watched a 3D movie (Dredd) was the one time I did find the heat/noise to be noticable. The effect was impressive enough, but I'm a total sceptic from an artistic standpoint - it doesn't really do anything for me, and mercifully it seems to be on its way out by now anyway.
                        5. Most run you somewhere between ?100-200 - I do need to replace mine according to the 'recommended' life spans, but everyone I know that does use one finds that they massively outperform these lifespan stats.
                        6. Surprisingly not, though obviously it helps - I've got 'blackout' curtains for this purpose. This will obviously be specific to each projector, but I've found mine to perform very well even with daylight coming in. I can imagine this is more troublesome if you live somewhere that isn't the UK.
                        7. I've always had Optoma projectors and am a fan, though that one in particular seems more suited to presentations and the like rather than movies, gaming etc - 4:3 (800x600 res) being the big tip-off. Even if you're just dipping your toes for now, there should be plenty of decent 720p units out there that would be much more suitable, and if you've got a white wall, then I wouldn't even worry about a screen just yet.
                        8. Absolutely - I had a simpler projector setup in my last place (720p projector sat on some shelves onto a white wall w/ no screen) and was a total convert by that point already. I was brought around by a friend doing something very similar, and in turn I've had a few other people come around and walk away scratching their chins about how they can re-arrange their setup. What with the move here being longer-term, this was just my opportunity to throw myself into it more and get things exactly as I'd wanted.

I recently attended the Ideal Home Show at the Olympia in London and was blown away by the garden cinema room by Crown Pavilions. It had a hot tub, bar and a 4K surround sound cinema in it! I liked the fixed-frame screen by Projecta that they used.

Very nice, though someone really needs to have a word with him about his choice of beer.

Comment

Picked up a new amp for the living room today as the Onkyo long ago moved up in to the cinema room and I've been using my old Technics downstairs. I think this new Pioneer was just over half the cost of the Onkyo, all I wanted was a decent receiver with airplay, but it actually sounds so good I might need to put it in the cinema room instead!

Loving using the iPad as the remote with the Pioneer app installed too, really swanky.

Last edited by Colin; 28-04-2015, 17:11.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            1. Yes all the time!
                            Sorry Fuse, I thought I'd replied!
                            Thanks for your lengthy response. I'm really interested in doing something eventually. I made the mistake of buying Home Cinema magazine and there are some lovely setups in there.

I love the guy with a home cinema shed!

Comment

Just pull the trigger Chimp, for a man who loves his films as much as you do, you'll get nothing but value for money out of it.

Comment

nip onto avforums, and go to members showcase forum, some amazing set ups there.

i have a PJ permanently set up in the living room, i only use it for movies though, never had the urge to plug in a console. but then 90% of my gaming is retro.

Comment

Working...
                                X