I need to play a RPG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to play a RPG!

I feel the need to play a "proper" RPG. When I say proper RPG I mean not like Mass Effect, Darksiders and more like old school final fantasys. (Gear collecting, gaining levels)

I was thinking maybe Blue Dragon? But was looking for some recommendations.

Any platform is fine, but if poss 360 as I'm a 360 party lover.
    Last edited by djtickle; 19-02-2013, 06:49.

Have you played Lost Odyssey Tickle?
    It is awesome. I started Blue Dragon but the 2nd disk was unreadable. I was OK but not in the same league as Lost Odyssey.
    I have it if you want.

It might not be for you though as it is a chore to get the max GS

Comment

Hey Smouty! I have got lost Odyssey, never really played it though I just picked it up from play-asia as it was cheap at the time! Haha its not really about GS as I just need a RPG fix

Will check it out.

Comment

Tales of Vesperia, a million times Tales of Vesperia (Lost Odyssey is also good though)

Comment

I really enjoyed Blue Dragon. Not amazing but lovely art and good fun combat.

Comment

if you want something a bit off beat would recommend resonance of fate

Comment

I really enjoyed resonance of fate too. Though I've always wanted to play tales of vesperia. Never got round to it and now I don't have any new consoles.

Comment

The Last Story and Xenoblade on Wii are considerably better than all of the games mentioned here except for Lost Odyssey, I haven't tried that one. I found Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia and Resonance of Fate to be mind mumbing to play.

Comment

So you want a Japanese style RPG, right? Modern or older?

Comment

Arc Rise Fantasia is not half bad, although I really want to recommend Golden Sun on the GBA.

Comment

Ugh, Golden Sun. I got stuck on some boss because I didn't grind enough in about 2001. Never went back.

Persona 4 is my top pick surely you've got a PS2 laying around somewhere? But the Vita version is the best, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                        Arc Rise Fantasia is not half bad, although I really want to recommend Golden Sun on the GBA.
                        I have a very poor opinion of Golden Sun on the GBA. It looks great and is very polished, but I thought it was riddled with gameplay problems.

Comment

I put 12 hours into Golden Sun. It's a fairly nice game but it's just boring. Good battle system though.

Comment

For rpgs i used to be a huge fan of the final fantasy series but past few years i have really gone off the strictly turn based combat i much prefer real time or a hybrid like resonance

loved Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the ps2 (didnt think much of the star ocean game for the xbox though) really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria for the ps2 aswell

if you have access to a ps2 (or even the pcsx2 emulator) would really recommend dark cloud 2 fully real time combat but great graphics and story and plenty to do

Comment

On 360

I have played

Enchanted Arms
                              Eternal Sonata
                              Blue Dragon
                              Lost Odyssey

I'd put them in that order for how much I enjoyed them. Blue Dragon is very traditional, if you just want plain and simple turn based combat and plenty of grinding and secrets that would be the one I'd choose.
                              Eternal Sonata I really enjoyed for it's non-fiction interludes and Enchanted Arms I just kinda enjoyed for being short.

I just couldn't get into Lost Odyssey, it had an interesting premise, but that plot device was poorly implemented in the game design. It also never seemed to end.

Comment

Working...
                              X