No announcement yet.

#DriveClub PS4 (Evolution Studios)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice little Game Trailers talk about both DC and FH2.

I just also wanted to say I got this today and I really like it.

I have FH2 coming tomorrow, so will see how they compares but first impressions are great. Handling is fun, AI is decent and tracks are fun.

Well worth a demo when you can, if not a purchase. I'm not going to say its the new king of racers but it's not a stinker and for a PS4 only owner, it's worth getting.
    Last edited by ridgeracer; 09-10-2014, 12:35.

Comment

"It's not a stinker"
      — ridgeracer

Ridge, they might end up using that mini review of yours on the TV ads soon if things don't improve. That's the nicest thing I've read about it for a while.

Comment

Fixed my amazing spelling first!

Yeah, I don't think the game is that bad. Here is what I wrote on rullmuk because I can't be arsed retyping:

Right, my copy from Shopto.net just arrived.

I’ve had a few goes and before I start, I am a big racing game fan and quite handy behind the wheel of a real car so I know what I like and don’t like.

First impressions are (after getting to level 5 in the game):

• Handling - Very good. Not realistic but it never was supposed to be. Only driven the FWD cars so far but the handling is very fun and lively and just what you want from a videogame, especially on a pad.

• Rewinds - Game doesn’t need it. Better without.

• Penalty’s - Driving on grass/off road. Not a problem at all. I have cut a few corners and it’s been fine. Don’t worry about this.

• At the moment, not blown away by the graphics. Its very pretty, don’t get me wrong, with some cool lighting but I felt it was going to be photo realistic in my mind so was a little bit let down. Its still the best looking driving game I have ever played but I don’t know, I can still very much tell its a video game rather than me in the real world. Great sense of speed and the frame rate is stable enough. Havant played FH2 (will tomorrow) so cant compare but doubt it would be much better than this. It does have a very dark undertone rather than the bright world shown in Forza Horizon 2, so in that sense, its more 'real world' looking. No music in game, which is maybe the reason people are maybe getting the boring, no fun vibe. This can be turned on in the options though. The HUD and info stuff can also be removed. I have gone for the no HUD or music option as I want it as real as I can get plus I own a plasma! []

• Racing is fun with cars diving into corners and weaving about and making mistakes in front of me. I can see them getting quite challenging in the faster cars. Looking forward to hitting the time attacks as I had a go of a solo point to point and it was very fun in a Mini GP.

The things I think that let it down imo is the lack of some key features like replays and customisation on cars (not so much the tuning but the club decal side, it would be good to see you able to make your own graphics as id love a car with a big winged cock down the doors).

Anyone on the fence and with a PS4 id say get this. And even if you don’t, do try the demo (when its out) as I am sure you will see there is a very fun game waiting in there. The handling is great and makes up for some of the shortcomings of the game. I think most features can be added in updates and some things altered to make the game better, which isn’t ideal but still achievable in the future.

Its not a 5/10 but its not 10/10 either. a strong 7/10 but maybe 8/10 when some of the other features make it into the game and really looking forward to seeing the weather added too.

Comment

After having played the game (offline of course) myself for almost 10 hours, I agree with you ridgeracer on the impressions. Not blown away with the graphics as well. There are some really nice bits, but then there is some shadows popping up and the trees looks almost PS2ey (if that's a word).

My 2nd gripe is the, at times, very aggressive AI (at least in the professional events, where I'm a bit stuck atm) that keeps coming from nowhere and bumping into me from behind, leaving me with points deducted and sometimes spinning me off the track, ruining that race.

Otherwise I'm starting to get more to grips with the handling and the tracks, so I see myself play it a lot more even though it feels a little "cold" right now with the sometimes sterile graphics (think Rogue Squadron 2 on GC) and the lack of online.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post

My 2nd gripe is the, at times, very aggressive AI (at least in the professional events, where I'm a bit stuck atm) that keeps coming from nowhere and bumping into me from behind, leaving me with points deducted and sometimes spinning me off the track, ruining that race.

Otherwise I'm starting to get more to grips with the handling and the tracks, so I see myself play it a lot more even though it feels a little "cold" right now with the sometimes sterile graphics (think Rogue Squadron 2 on GC) and the lack of online.
            The AI reminds me of an online racer where racing etiquette is thrown out of the window, I used to hate playing with random's on xbox live on PGR2 where other drivers would use the back of your car as a break on corners.

When playing this i wondered why i couldn't get it to rain it seems dynamic weather isn't in the game yet and won't be for a couple of months, talk about half baked, they will also be adding replays at a later date too.

Originally posted by Art Director Alex Perkins
            It’s not such a bad thing. It’s worth being able to learn the tracks in the dry. Then you can start playing at night, and then when it’s raining during the day. If you really want to challenge yourself, then a snowstorm at night is quite a different experience. It’s probably worth having that two-month lead-in just practicing the tracks before you get the really difficult settings thrown in.
            The first thing i tried to do on the beta was play it in the wet, that's what made me stop and say wow this looks impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
              When playing this i wondered why i couldn't get it to rain it seems dynamic weather isn't in the game yet and won't be for a couple of months, talk about half baked, they will also be adding replays at a later date too.
              Yes, from what I remember weather mode, photo mode and replays should come sometime before christmas, no specific date set.

Comment

But which Christmas that's the question.

Comment

Oh you... ho ho ho

Comment

Posted on the DriveClub facebook about an hour ago.

During the next 24hrs we are running essential diagnostics to help us improve the performance of the servers. This may disrupt online play for you when you do get connected.
                    We are sorry we don't have more news to share right now but we will keep working hard to get you all up and running online as quickly as we can.
                    Sounds like we can look forward to a horrendous online experience tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like it's going from bad to worse, they must know by now what's causing the trouble surely.

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                      Oh you... ho ho ho
                      I'm here all week

Comment

So I've spent about an hour or so with it (offline) since it unlocked this evening and as in the beta I've been enjoying it. I've earned 26/27 stars from 8 events so far, a couple of which took a 2nd or 3rd attempt (to fulfil challenge criteria rather than because I didn't finish first) and I'm up to level 6. Anyhoo I thought I'd give my thoughts on some of the criticisms I've read of it - though for your reference I guess the disclaimer for the 'worthiness' of my opinion being that I also liked NFS: Rivals, MotorStorm Apocalypse, Split Second, Burnout Paradise & Dirt Showdown enough to platinum them & some of those weren't universally well received. Oh and I quite enjoy the Gran Turismo license tests!

Bland Presentation / Lacks Soul: Won't argue there and yet it's not like it's doing a lot wrong. You go straight in to your first event from the get-go. There's no introduction let alone a tutorial and there's no voice over of any sort at any point but then I've never particularly appreciated the EA/Codemasters DJ/Announcers either. Or at least I didn't think I did. Menu selection is fine, as is the music but it's definitely missing some additional sound effects or voice over / audio cues, particularly with regards recognition for wins and level progression. It wouldn't hurt to announce your 3 star achievements with greater fanfare. Maybe some of what it's lacking will be overcome when online/leaderboards are up and running. It certainly makes a difference to me in Trials Fusion for instance.

No Racing Line: Yeah there isn't one but I don't need it though. And with regards a similar complaint, I think it's better for not having a rewind feature too.

Harsh Penalties: Haven't encountered that at all so far. I've had several Corner Cutting and Reset to Track countdowns for penalties but only twice have I actually had a Corner Cutting penalty (both deserved) and only once have I received a Collision penalty. That's it. I've had a few coming togethers with the opposition too. I've lost Fame points for minor collisions, probably numerously and possibly even when they've hit me but in the scheme of things 100 or 200 Fame point penalties are barely noticeable - unless in later levels you have to earn a certain score to progress maybe.

Hundreds of Replicated Cardboard Trees/Scenery: Seriously? Admittedly I've played entirely in cockpit view but I've been way to busy flooring the accelerator and barely had a chance to take in my surroundings at all, let alone find fault with it. It's certainly been varied enough when I have had a chance to look.

Poor AI: I've mostly spent my time in front. They do come off the 'invisible' racing line but they don't stray far from it. I've only raced in Rookie Championships which probably has some bearing but so far they're certainly not remotely as aggressive as I am. They will look to dive inside or move outside to capitalise on an error you might make or if they've got the superior top speed in the straight before the breaking zone. I definitely wouldn't say I've been passed because of a great late breaking overtaking manoeuvre. They do pass each other. It's not a complete procession but I haven't for instance noticed anyone spin of their own accord.

Comment

Has anybody else bought and played it yet?

Eager for some more impressions from normal, down-to-earth people.

Comment

I had it since Tuesday , and can't give an o nline view as I still can't connect which is bad, but it is by no means a bad game, just a little underwhelming , and with Forza horizon 2 , I just don't won't to choose to play it, with so much else is the next month , I wouldn't recommend buying it , but if project cars is not as good as we hope, then it's still just the best racer for the ps4 probally, and when the updates that are coming hit it, it could see major improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              Has anybody else bought and played it yet?

Eager for some more impressions from normal, down-to-earth people.
                              You mean people with no expectations? This game looks bad. More limiting than Gran Turismo which came out 15 years ago.

Comment

He means PS4 fans desperate to have something exclusive to love. If not, I find that pretty insulting.

Comment

Working...
                                X