Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Party boy View Post
    Isn't Cat Mario just a power up in Mario 3D World?
    Yeah, not sure why I confused that.

Shozuki, I don't see how you are coming to the conclusion that 2.5d is a lazy design choice, that seems to be what you are suggesting. Metroid Prime was indeed 3D but the format was still identical to the one that went before. It was absolutely nothing new, it just had a new camera. Also Metroid Prime 2 was incredibly dull and highlighted the simplicity of the formula.
    Either way I know a lot of people would love a 2.5d Metroid game on 3DS.

Comment

Obviously a new Sony console has got Shozuki all worked up. Plus he's a sheep and pseudo realism is his shepherd, and only being able to move along a single plane isn't very realistic.

Comment

I wonder how he copes walking along a footpath.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          *raises hand*

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
            Finally, I bought a console for NEW experiences
            Yet you are excited about a crappy looking Killer Instinct made by a poor dev.

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
            I didn't mind DKC3 at all, it wasn't of 2's standard and visually cut corners at the time slightly but on its own merits it was a good entry, had plenty fun playing it. The real weak point in the series was DK64, such an epic let down.
            Yeah, DKC3 wasn't bad at all. It was quite good infact and even quite challenging. Never played DKC2 though, only the first and third of the originals.
            Last edited by Guts; 14-06-2013, 09:42.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              Yeah, not sure why I confused that.

Shozuki, I don't see how you are coming to the conclusion that 2.5d is a lazy design choice, that seems to be what you are suggesting. Metroid Prime was indeed 3D but the format was still identical to the one that went before. It was absolutely nothing new, it just had a new camera. Also Metroid Prime 2 was incredibly dull and highlighted the simplicity of the formula.
              Not at all, but personally I'd love to see what Retro could do with even a 3D DK for example. In Metroid's case the new perspective added quite a bit, the control method is completely different and with this they made enemy types and boss battles simply not possible in a 2D perspective. Also the scanning mechanic was cool and helped add to the atmosphere.

I'm not suggesting 2D is lazy, but it's certainly playing it safe. Perhaps that's just Nintendo's mantra....

Originally posted by Eurogamer
              Another Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country game, Tropical Freeze, in which Nintendo's pet Western development team of the moment apes (sorry) the work of Nintendo's pet Western development team of two decades ago. Yet another polished and safe platformer to add to Nintendo's bulging catalogue of such games (although the return of the original music composer David Wise is sure to please many fans).
              In hopes people can understand my disappointment...

Originally posted by Eurogamer
              But it was once a company known for new ideas above all else, and those are in scant evidence at E3 in 2013. Perhaps it should peek its head out from behind those curtains and see what's going on outside.

Originally posted by Party boy View Post
              Obviously a new Sony console has got Shozuki all worked up. Plus he's a sheep and pseudo realism is his shepherd, and only being able to move along a single plane isn't very realistic.
              Your right, I love realism. Journey is great, the most realistic game I've played... Grow up, there's no need to result to insults. No-one else has.

Originally posted by Guts View Post
              Yet you are excited about a crappy looking Killer Instinct made by a poor dev.
              There hasn't been a new Killer Instinct for 16 years? Nintendo decided not to rinse it and the old ones feel pretty clunky now so an updated, smoother re-imagining sounds good to me.

Regarding the developer, I enjoyed Homecoming as did others

Plus fighters are my genre of choice...

Comment

I did enjoy the third game of the SNES trilogy having only played it for the first time a few years ago on the VC, but Diddy's Kong Quest is still the best with possibly the best OST of any game I've played. Really glad David Wise is back for Tropical Freeze, thought the music was comparitively weak in DKC Returns.

Last edited by parkinho; 14-06-2013, 15:02.

Comment

There hasn't been a new Killer Instinct for 16 years? Nintendo decided not to rinse it and the old ones feel pretty clunky now so an updated, smoother re-imagining sounds good to me.
                  I just find your reasoning irrational if you're complaining that Nintendo do "nothing new", but you then give praise to a rehash of a 16 year old 2D fighter which was mediocre at best even back then and now made by a studio completely without fighter experience.

Comment

I just find your reasoning irrational if you're complaining that Nintendo do "nothing new", but you then give praise to a rehash of a 16 year old 2D fighter which was mediocre at best even back then and now made by a studio completely without fighter experience.
                    I mentioned I like fighters, that's my genre of choice. Double Helix and RARE have recruited a lot of fighting game developers and people like FilthieRich, it's worth seeing the initial reaction from the FGC to note that it's shaping up pretty well. Also, the entire game is downloadable only, which I assume will effect pricing, plus if 1 character is enough for you, the entire game including online modes are FREE.

Also to my knowledge Microsoft don't already have an abundance of fighters on their system. Nintendo on the other hand already have an OTT amount of platformers, so something else was welcomed.

Comment

They need a new ip at some point soon imo.

Comment

I mentioned I like fighters, that's my genre of choice. Double Helix and RARE have recruited a lot of fighting game developers.
                        Unless that's a Japan based studio I've not heard about, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

I agree with Shozuki on his DKC point, that said I also agree with Guts about KI. Truth be told I'd prefer to see some new Nintendo IP's and not the same old stuff over and over again.

All three SNES DKC's were ace, just picked up Japanese copies of all three to go along side my pal set. Plus 60hz Donkey Kong rules!!!

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          Unless that's a Japan based studio I've not heard about, I wouldn't hold out much hope.
                          I hear ya man, but I had a blast with MK and Injustice - plus I hear Skullgirls was pretty good, though I didn't play it... KI team has a lot of the Skullgirls team also and some who worked in SF2... So I guess I'm cautiously optimistic...

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          I agree with Shozuki on his DKC point, that said I also agree with Guts about KI. Truth be told I'd prefer to see some new Nintendo IP's and not the same old stuff over and over again.
                          Phew, I was scared I'd get more people telling me my opinion is wrong... Thanks man!

Comment

Well, your opinion is wrong if you consider a game like DKC a "throwaway title that should be released on eShop for ?10".

And MK and Injustice are made by people who have been making fighting games for 20 years, like Ed Boon and co. totally different story there.

Comment

Well, your opinion is wrong if you consider a game like DKC a "throwaway title that should be released on eShop for ?10".

And MK and Injustice are made by people who have been making fighting games for 20 years, like Ed Boon and co. totally different story there.
                              Opinions aren't wrong. FYI Journey is similar priced and has a lot more going for it.

Comment

I also wish Retro where making something other then Donkey Kong. The first one was really good but......do something else!

Comment

Working...
                                X