No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not having it tied to a PC is the huge game changer with the Oculus for me. I adore mine. Let’s boot Zuckerberg into a hellpit and then just enjoy our devices.

Comment

THIS IS THE OLD VERSION! GET THE NEWER VERSION HERE! Adds A fleshed out scripting system using Lua (check the wiki!) Generic 6DOF VR support to RE7, RE2, RE3, RE8, DMC5, and MHRISE Full motion con...

Mods released to allow Resi 2 Remake and Resi 3 Remake be playable in VR including early VR support for other titles such as DMC5 and RE8

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        My son bought an Oculus Quest 2 after Christmas and I’m super impressed by it.

For starters, I had no idea you could buy a vr unit that does not require a pc or any kind of base unit. You get the headset and controllers and that’s all you need. No wires or fuss.

I played Beat Sabre on it and a) it’s a brilliant game, and b) the visuals are pretty sharp. The tracking was super solid too.

It’s deffo a gen ahead of psvr but my only issue with it is you need a Facebook account to use it. Other than that is pretty amazing.
        Literally just loaded up the forum to post about VR, I bought the Quest 2 for my son as a Christmas present and it is great but need to find some more titles. He's got Beat Saber, Superhot and RoboRecall, which seem to be the same games my friend had a couple of years ago so will trawl this thread for what else to get.

Comment

There's a Fanatical Quest bundle at the moment - nothing particularly outstanding on it, but it's a cheap way to get a few extra titles: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/...uest-vr-bundle

Comment

I've been having fun with some older pc games which can be run from the quest via sideloader. Specifically the original halflife and the add ons via lambda vr

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              My son bought an Oculus Quest 2 after Christmas and I’m super impressed by it.

For starters, I had no idea you could buy a vr unit that does not require a pc or any kind of base unit. You get the headset and controllers and that’s all you need. No wires or fuss.

I played Beat Sabre on it and a) it’s a brilliant game, and b) the visuals are pretty sharp. The tracking was super solid too.

It’s deffo a gen ahead of psvr but my only issue with it is you need a Facebook account to use it. Other than that is pretty amazing.
              What kind of sorcery is this? Are the processor and gpu built in? Wouldn’t the unit get hot?

Comment

Everything is built in. And I’ve never noticed it get hot.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  There's a Fanatical Quest bundle at the moment - nothing particularly outstanding on it, but it's a cheap way to get a few extra titles: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/...uest-vr-bundle
                  Wow thanks. How does the purchase work? It’s not on Oculus store, do you just get emailed a code? Couldn’t find on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Everything is built in. And I’ve never noticed it get hot.
                    How’s that even possible? It plays modern vr games at good enough frame rates? How do you get games onto it?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      How’s that even possible? It plays modern vr games at good enough frame rates? How do you get games onto it?
                      Well by ‘modern games’, the huge caveat is that it plays games specifically designed for the Oculus really well. Some games look and run wonderfully on it (like The Climb 2). But you can’t just slap on any modern game and expect it to work. I don’t know the hardware specs but I imagine there must be some real hard limits. As for getting games onto it, you can buy them directly from the unit or on your phone.

The other big downside is that, right now, it forces you to have a Facebook account.

But for its price, I feel what it can do is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                        Wow thanks. How does the purchase work? It’s not on Oculus store, do you just get emailed a code? Couldn’t find on the website.
                        You get the codes in your account and on screen that you can then redeem in the Oculus store.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          But you can’t just slap on any modern game and expect it to work.
                          Have a gaming PC and a wifi 6 network and you can - it's then just a wireless PC VR headset, works great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            Have a gaming PC and a wifi 6 network and you can - it's then just a wireless PC VR headset, works great for me.
                            Yeah, that sounds very cool. But in terms of the unit actually doing the work, I’m guessing what is possible has some hard limits. I’m not sure what is being pulled off on other VR platforms right now.

Comment

It doesn't have the grunt of a RTX 3080 Ti, so no you're not going to get Half Life Alyx as a stand alone, but the experience isn't a bad one. It's a dedicated Arm based SoC to keep the power and heat down, so it's mobile equivalent experience.

Comment

The unit alone is a great way into vr as an experience. I was given the chance to play some halflife in vr on a lunch break and it sold me.
                                Once I had my own unit I setup virtual desktop and use it as a pc vr headset for the likes of halflife Alyx.

A good frame of reference in terms of the headsets standalone performance is pavlov. Its available as a pc vr title and a standalone via the side quest/app lab, called pavlov shack. The mechanisms of play are the same but maps are tailored to suit the reduced hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X