Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duncan James Waugh View Post
    Why would the guys need to build a new distribution platform? The games will just sell through the standard PC stores - Steam, Desura, etc.
    If there were true to their original vision of just being a bunch of guys who wanted to make VR happen then perfect. The project was kick started, they got over 2 million for free and they get to develop a product and start a gaming revolution.

But only being a hardware vendor in a market when there are so many competitors who can afford to sell at a loss then make the money back on the software, they would have a hard time in the long run I think. Without some kind of platform it would be hard to compete with MS and Sony unless they had their own way of making money beyond the initial sale.

Comment

But they aren't in competition with the likes of MS or Sony, they are a peripheral vender selling to the PC market, no different to any graphics card manufacturer. Most PC gamers aren't going to go out and switch to a PS4 or XBOne just because the VR headsets are ?50 or however much cheaper on those platforms versus the Occulus Rift. Especially when they'd be looking at having to shell out for the base hardware anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
        I tried Oculsu Rift in Tokyo, at a swanky Sony party.
        Is it any co-incidence that a few weeks after said party, Sony announced their own version?!
        "Hey, hey. Sooony guy. *hic* Whatchoo need ish wanna dose gogglebokshes on the pee esh fooor *hic*"

And you know me - I complain if you can't blow up hobos realistically.
        It's how I imagine your benchmark for good games is based upon!

It's all about the penny sweets, chimps.
        Fruit Salad > Black Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Is it any co-incidence that a few weeks after said party, Sony announced their own version?!
          You know... I never made the connection before. It was the Sony Indies Stream party, around TGS time. They're obviously keeping their finger on the pulse.

Comment

I'm with Resonance on this. The money is in owning the distribution platform. If this was just effectively a PC/Steam peripheral, its value would be massively limited.

Comment

OC started in 2012, The HMZ-T1 was in 2011, so thats that myth busted. Sony was a pioneer wuith Glasstron in 1997, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasstron

Comment

Oculus Rift sounds like a medial condition with your eyes, like detached retina...

"Oooh, doctor, I've got an oculus rift"
                [hide][/hide]

Comment

Oculus Rift is the most interesting next gen-piece of hardware currently. i couldn't try it by myself yet but people who tested it at gamescom with the space dog fight simulator Eve Valkyries were left totally amazed.

i have a bad feeling with this facebook deal and i wish Mr. Zuckerberg would just go on playing Farmville...

Comment

I've got a bad feeling about it too, you've nearly killed whatever in a game, then the huge pop up, a word from our sponsors, BLAH BLAH BLAH, find them on facebook, you & Facebook the only way to experience amazing games.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                      I've got a bad feeling about it too, you've nearly killed whatever in a game, then the huge pop up, a word from our sponsors, BLAH BLAH BLAH, find them on facebook, you & Facebook the only way to experience amazing games.
                      I'm not sure how this will be used on Facebook i suppose they could mock up a variant on the oculus rift guillotine simulator where you use virtual reality to Poke your friends in the eye

Comment

for now i am less worried about what Facebook might do once the hardware is in the hands of us gamers. the most cruical problem is to keep up interest and investments in the Oculus Rift with devs and publishers. i fear a lot of them might cancel their support or just halt their work-in progress due to eligible scepticism.

will be interesting to see how this plays in the hands of Sony's project Morpheus...
                        Last edited by Uli; 26-03-2014, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                          for now i am less worried about what Facebook might do once the hardware is in the hands of us gamers. the most cruical problem is to keep up interest and investments in the Oculus Rift with devs and publishers. i fear a lot of them might cancel their support or just halt their work-in progress due to eligible scepticism.

will be interesting to see how this plays in the hands of Sony's project Morpheus...
                          Like notch did with with his Minecraft port yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                            Like notch did with with his Minecraft port yesterday
                            Yes. Tweet to him to bring it to 3DS and WiiU!!

Comment

Following news of the buyout Facebook shares drop 7%

Comment

Which also means Oculus purchase winnings drop because a large chunk of it was in Facebook shares.

Comment

Working...
                                X