No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished Iron Man VR on Quest 2; it's fan-****ing-tastic.

Good MCU-like story (even though it's technically not MCU).

Great gameplay which might be basic by action game standards, but it does everything so well that it's just a real joy to play.

Varies up the levels and scenarios, and it's just the right length (about 6 hours for the main content, could probably double that if you want to 5-star everything, and a couple of hours of bonus levels too). I did it a chapter per-evening with dipping into replaying some bits so it took me a couple of weeks.

The main thing I was impressed by though was the port. It looks great; definitely in the top few best-looking games on the Quest 2, if not the best looking game. I didn't realise until going to YouTube that the port job was really involved; the developer actually made new versions of the character models which have a more stylised appearance (as the older ones would never have worked with the simplified lighting etc.), and the whole game has changes - like the lighting on PSVR is more dynamic, so on the Quest 2, many of the levels have totally different lighting setups. It even goes so far as the Shanghai city location having less headroom for its neon and lighting shaders, so instead, many of the buildings just have more interesting models so the architecture looks more varied & colourful. They really have spared no expense on the conversion. It's great because the Quest 2 version doesn't just look worse, which could've certainly been on the cards.

If you like the Iron Man movies at all, just get it, it's wonderful.

Comment

Have I sold anyone Iron Man VR? Because I really want to. I found myself just wishing there was more!

Comment

If it helps I went and watched a video after reading your impressions above! Looks really cool. Maybe it will come to PSVR2.

Comment

its on PSVR

Soar through the skies as Iron Man in this exhilarating VR experience, available on PlayStation Store. Get a taste of the game missions in this demo and learn how to fly around in Malibu, while taking command of Iron Man’s ironic armor and abilitiesbrbrAfter mastering the art of flight, suit up mid-flight and take down the hacked Stark drones that stand between you and Pepper. brbrDownload and finish Marvels Iron Man VR demo to unlock the Molten Lava Armor Deco after purchase of the full gamebrbr1 playerbr20GB minimum save sizebrDUALSHOCK®4brPlayStation®VR RequiredbrPlayStation®Camera Requiredbr2 PS®Move controllers requiredbrbr Software subject to license us.playstation.comsoftwarelicense. Online features require an account and are subject to terms of service and applicable privacy policy playstationnetwork.comterms-of-service playstationnetwork.comprivacy-policy.brbr© 2020 MARVELbr© 2020 Sony Interactive Entertainment LLCbrDeveloped by Camouflaj

theirs even a demo if you wanted to try it out, Im gonna give it a look thanks for the recommendation

Comment

Unfortunately PSVR games don't work on PSVR2. They have to be ported or specially patched.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Unfortunately PSVR games don't work on PSVR2. They have to be ported or specially patched.
              Yeah, which seems insane. That being said, Iron Man VR definitely will be.

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                PSVR1 games work on PSVR1 though had to check what thread i was on for a second this is the standard VR thread not the PSVR2 thread you confused me for a second

so yeah if you want to play [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]'s recommendation its on psvr too in demo form

Comment

Sorry I read that as a direct response to me.

Comment

The first substantial information has emerged on what the Apple headset is actually like to use, and, well, it sounds pretty sick to be honest...

An iPhone that you strap to your head...

Originally posted by Bloomberg
                    The headset’s operating system, internally called xrOS, will have many of the same features as an iPhone and iPad but in a 3D environment. That includes the Safari web browser, photos, mail, messages and the calendar app. And it will also have apps for the company’s services, such as the App Store to install third-party software, Apple TV+, music and podcasts. The company is working on health-tracking functions as well.
                    An external display for people looking at you wearing it...

The product will have a curved screen on the front that can outwardly show a wearer’s eyes
                    No more clunky wands...

Here’s how it will work: The headset will have several external cameras that can analyze a user’s hands, as well as sensors within the gadget’s housing to read eyes. That allows the wearer to control the device by looking at an on-screen item — whether it’s a button, app icon or list entry — to select it. Users will then pinch their thumb and index finger together to activate the task — without the need to hold anything. The approach differs from other headsets, which typically rely on a hand controller.
                    Interface optionally superimposed over video feed of environment...

The device will have a so-called Digital Crown — like the Apple Watch — that lets users switch between VR and AR. When in VR, the wearer is fully immersed. When AR is enabled, the content fades back and becomes surrounded by the user’s real environment. Apple expects this to be a highlight of the product
                    But most sensationally of all...

Apple made the decision to offload the battery from inside of the headset to an external pack. It rests in a user’s pocket and connects over a cable. Another tweak is the inclusion of a cooling fan like on high-end Macs.

The headset can last about two hours per battery pack, in line with rival products. The battery, however, is large: roughly the size of two iPhone 14 Pro Maxes stacked on top of each other, or about 6 inches tall and more than half an inch thick. Still, some internal prototypes for software development have a built-in battery and charge over USB-C.
                    Uh oh!! There could be a lot of cone of shame wearers on Team Internal once this gets announced later this year...
                    [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION]

Comment

Will believe it when I see it.

Comment

Yeah, as much as the features sound interesting, it sounds like more an alpha or beta than a real consumer-ready product. It's been knocked back again and again, year over year. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the next story is 'Apple push back headset to 2024 target release'.

Plus, just 2 hours of battery life on a thing the size of two iPhone Pro Maxs that you have to pocket?!

Comment

I feel like I'm out of the loop...

All of that sounds like... utter ****

In some form or another the Quest 2 covers most of that and without being hamstringed by Apple's costs and ecosystem. Really begs the question what the hell they've been doing all this time. At least their horse will be well fed given the gates opened four years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            In some form or another the Quest 2 covers most of that and without being hamstringed by Apple's costs and ecosystem. Really begs the question what the hell they've been doing all this time. At least their horse will be well fed given the gates opened four years ago.
                            Quest 3 soon. It's going to be like the Q2 but rolls in an optical stack more like the Quest Pro, like the Pico 4.

I'll be getting it immediately.

Comment

Yep, I'm still not getting what Apple really brings to the table other than an inflated price tag

Comment

In terms of what you might actually use it for once the initial novelty wears off, I'm at a bit of a loss myself. It runs up against the same problem of the Oculus Pro's non-gaming applications, where the technology isn't good enough yet for virtual meetings etc to be sufficiently convenient.

At the same time, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it. It's going to be cool to see their implementation.

Comment

Working...
                                X