No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t see any valid use for its inevitable debt inducing price tag.

Comment

I can't say I was particularly blown (apart from the spatial video capture), there's nothing especially new here - and it looks like it's got a massive wire to .... an external battery (LOL). Think this will sell about as well as the Quest Pro at $3499 and trying to do this with no controllers at all (Kinect says hi!). The strap/ergos look comfortable but need to see people who are not on Apple's payroll play with it. M2 processor, and a new "R1" (not the motorcycle) chip for the input processing - technically a two-processor system I suppose.

And Disney's "impossible" things, that have been possible on pretty much every VR headset going back to the CV2.

The tech is definitely impressive for screen and lenses, but I'm not going to be rushing out to pre-order one.

$3499. LOL.

Comment

$3499.

Comment

Three thousand four hundred and ninety-nine dollar. Tim loves you long time.

Comment

Yea its a fancy new Mac in a headset. If it helps push VR and AR to the masses then fair play.
            Its a well made bit of kit, but not for me.

Comment

A $3499 headset is not going to push VR/AR to the masses.

Comment

I’ve heard it’s like magic. They’ve been working towards it for years.

Comment

That's why Disney is involved.

Comment

I’m pretty sure he said it was 34.99. I think they just missed the decimal point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      I’ve heard it’s like magic. They’ve been working towards it for years.
                      And did you know they've been working on it for years? And it's like magic?

Comment

I heard if you take a Pelican flight case full of Krugerrand to Apple HQ tomorrow, you can pre-order one.

It's got all the same problems as the Quest Pro, trying to aim at businesses, thinking people will use them all day like a PC/Mac, just with a more than double price tag attached.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 05-06-2023, 19:19.

Comment

What I found most engaging (for the wrong reasons ) is just how similar its featureset is to a Quest Pro, in terms of what they showed the user actually doing with it.

But as always, with Apple, it's like they invented everything because they give it a name. Videoconferencing didn't exist before FaceTime after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            But as always, with Apple, it's like they invented everything because they give it a name.
                            I was thinking this exact thing. Apple now have invented “spatial computing” and pretty much demonstrated the Quest.

Comment

I did like the spatial video recording though - that'll let the adult entertainment industry get in closer than they can with the current 180 SBS cams - so long as they use an open-source video format for export.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                A $3499 headset is not going to push VR/AR to the masses.
                                I meant the broader concept of VR not this actual device.

Comment

Working...
                                X