No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have misread it but to run it from an external power source you need to plug it into the battery so it doesn’t look like the battery is not optional.
    Impressive technology this may be but is there really a profitable market for AR headsets? It has that classic VR problem of hard to sell until you try it.
    Having said that it’s not like Apple is immune to the odd flop. The original HomePod wasn’t on the market for long and was misunderstood by the press as a smart speaker. But the second hand market drove prices higher than the original RRP once people actually realized it was a damn good sounding speaker.
    It’s only Apple’s first gen AR device which is aimed at a pro market and no doubt they’ll iterate on it until it’s more mainstream friendly.

Comment

Is this really $3499?!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        Impressive technology this may be but is there really a profitable market for AR headsets?
        AR is not new. It amazes me that Apple always seems able to convince the world that it's the first to do things all the time from slick presentations.

The vast majority of what Apple has shown is already being done. Microsoft has sold 300Ks worth of Hololenses, and there are companies like Varjo doing AR headsets for industrial customers for a while.

It's got cool tech, it doesn't however, have many new ideas.

Comment

I’m wondering if the short battery life is deliberate? We all have that friend that can’t put their phone down and these people strike me as being the types that would happily wear one of these all day.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            AR is not new. It amazes me that Apple always seems able to convince the world that it's the first to do things all the time from slick presentations.
            Back when UK:Resistance was going they ran a tremendous series of articles called 'Apple Pretends to Invent...'

This week on Apple Pretends to Invent...
            BOOKS!!!
            Last edited by Golgo; 06-06-2023, 12:42.

Comment

Thinking about it, there was a disturbing lack of VR in their presentation. I mean, they’ve invented spatial computing so maybe they don’t need it but so much of what they showed was just 2D displays placed into your space. So essentially monitors. Not a lot of 3D, in spite of the unity mention at the end.

Comment

$10,500 every ten years when they cease iOS support and you have to get a new one!

I'm kidding... they probably won't be making these that long

Comment

The picture and 3d model viewing using AR was also amusing. In Tim Cook's mind it was probably akin to when Tony Stark is designing a new Iron Man suit in his lab garage, instead it looked the same as when you navigating a menu using passthrough on a Quest 2

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    The picture and 3d model viewing using AR was also amusing. In Tim Cook's mind it was probably akin to when Tony Stark is designing a new Iron Man suit in his lab garage, instead it looked the same as when you navigating a menu using passthrough on a Quest 2
                    Everything they showed was flat floating boxes, no 3d interaction with models or clever use of AR just some dude staring at a load of floating boxes.

Apple Vision Pro is Apple’s first spatial computer. It seamlessly blends digital content with your physical space using revolutionary technology.

apple seem to think that the main reason you would strap a box to your face is to view big floating boxes in front of you
                    Last edited by Lebowski; 06-06-2023, 13:28.

Comment

Is this popping into anyone else's heads, unbidden, every time they read the name of this product?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        Coming 2024 - Apple iBumbag
                        American company so it'll be the iFannyPack.

Comment

I have to imagine that Steve Jobs would not have approved the battery pack unless it was given functionality*. I’m actually partially surprised it doesn’t have a screen. It could have been the Pocketstation or VMU of the device. And just think about how great those devices were.

*beyond being, like, a battery.

Comment

I didn't vote in the poll because I wasn't sure if this was being developed by an internal or external team.

I now understand that the poll was about the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              American company so it'll be the iFannyPack.
                              This is actually a real issue - if you have a battery pack you have to put it somewhere, if you are of the fairer sex, chances are your clothing doesn't have pockets.

Comment

Quick someone trademark the iFanny

Comment

Working...
                                X