X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    It's not a cable it's a rope with a brick on the end

(I haven't bothered looking tbh).

Yeah, there are people defending Apple and the lack of controllers and the price. You don't need controllers, of course, until you need controllers. Just like you don't need a map until you get lost and need a map.

Was it per eye? I thought that was total. A 4K screen has 3,840 by 2,160 pixels = 8,294,400 pixels - 6,000 by 4000 would be about 24 million pixels (think the resolution of a 24MP camera). If it's total pixels, then you're at 12 million pixels per eye so about 4,288 × 2,848 pixels.
    You’re right, I had it wrong, it’s in total - so about 4288x2848 like you said.

I wonder how that will look with a giant TV hanging in front of you drawing in at 3840x2160. And how comfortable it will be to do that in a prolonged way.

I agree that they maybe should’ve gone the whole hog and made it $5000. Although that’s probably not far off what it will run after factoring in the glasses lenses many will need, plus the battery pack, plus the official case, plus (in most states) sales tax.

Comment

The exact same as it is now with Index, Quest 2, Pico 4 and apparently PSVR2 can do video playback too (haven't tried it) with a higher resolution.

Your face will get hot, and you'll have to take it off to take a drink (or start using straws) - watching movies in VR is great if you can deal with that - but you don't need to spend $3499 to get that experience - the resolution on the current consumer headsets is more than adequate for this task.

You can get the Pimax Vision 8K X for about £700 now - nearly the same resolution - can't see any mention of the refresh rate or FoV, which I'd expect to be listed if it were as impressive as the resolution.

You can pre-order the Pimax Crystal 12K already: https://pimax.com/pimax-12k/
      Last edited by MartyG; 05-06-2023, 21:42.

Comment

Well, well, well

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Agreed

EDIT: Also anyone who wants to join team internal or external battery can, just know that you risk the cone of shame if you're wrong (and conversely everlasting glory if correct).
          I want shame cones on all who voted for team Wakka!

Comment

I don't believe I ever agreed to that as I was channeling the spirit of Steve Jobs, who is currently rolling in his grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Well, well, well

Comment

I love this thing.

It's like they threw loads of money at VR in a panic years back when others were making a buzz about VR and took so long catching up that they realised VR isn't going to take off in any meaningful way but by now had sunk too much into it. A very, very long period of trying to work out how to justify the spending on the project later without looking like they had completely axed it they decided **** it, why not just full on troll our sheep minded fanbase and charge them a nut and a leg for a VR headset. Some meaningless fluff about MR so they can try to pass it off as something new following the passing of both AR and VR hype waves and a chunky big price tags so manufacturing losses are minimal and hey presto! It's not a failure - it's an insight into the future that the world just wasn't ready for yet!

Still, the Apple brand name is massive and there are people who live and die for paying vastly overpriced sums for pretty standard devices so this will at least find some uses. There will be some offices with staff typing away on their Apple Macs, taking business calls on their Apple iPhones whilst reorganising their playlist on iTunes before getting ready to go to the gym and count their steps on their Apple Watch just as strong breeze blows through and they stop some print outs from blowing away by utilising the weight of the Apple Vision Pro.

All aside though, the thing is clearly useless and a rare yet fascinating window into the internal ponderings Apple is having about where to come up with its next iPod, iPad or iPhone moment.

Edit: A line removed because Marty beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  There is zero chance of Apple going with a device that only has an external battery. I can see them making a modular device where that's an option (you can do this with the Quest 2, or the new Vive headset has various options) but there's absolutely no way they'd go for this.

VR is already a difficult proposition, honestly, because it has to do something which many people just can't get on board with - you have to put a weird device on your head. Now imagine asking people to do that, and you need to have it running to your pocket with cables?

If they end up with the only battery being external (like that being the device's primary function), I will eat a USB cable live on this forum*

*I won't do this.

As a compromise, I will stop posting for 1 solid week.
                  I still can't believe Apple went with this. It's just the least cool design ever. People hate having things on their heads and Apple wants them to have something on their waist too?

I'm a man of my word, however, so see you all in a week!

Comment

Coming 2024 - Apple iBumbag

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I still can't believe Apple went with this. It's just the least cool design ever. People hate having things on their heads and Apple wants them to have something on their waist too?

I'm a man of my word, however, so see you all in a week!
                      To be fair, you were right that it's optional. It does have some limited battery life built in (they didn't say how much but probably next to nothing) and of course you can use it plugged in for as long as you want. I think you have to buy the battery separately in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        To be fair, you were right that it's optional. It does have some limited battery life built in (they didn't say how much but probably next to nothing) and of course you can use it plugged in for as long as you want. I think you have to buy the battery separately in fact.
                        Ah, if it's an optional extra then it's not part of the headset - that's no different than plugging a power brick into a Quest. So the non-external battery people win.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 06-06-2023, 08:51.

Comment

To be fair, I don't think Apple have actually been clear on this point. At least, Bing doesn't seem to think so (and I don't recall them saying during the presentation yesterday). So jury's out.

Comment

Marques put a hands-on impression vid up - still not that clear, except he mentions that the headset is very heavy and he's not sure he'd want to wear it longer than the 30 minutes he did, so having a battery externally was required. Also mentions the lack of any haptic feedback (as I alluded to earlier with these things).

And those creepy eyes? That's an OLED projection of your eyes, not your actual eyes.

Comment

Could have saved some RRP scrapping that function to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                Marques put a hands-on impression vid up - still not that clear, except he mentions that the headset is very heavy and he's not sure he'd want to wear it longer than the 30 minutes he did, so having a battery externally was required. Also mentions the lack of any haptic feedback (as I alluded to earlier with these things).

And those creepy eyes? That's an OLED projection of your eyes, not your actual eyes.
                                Brick on a rope who'd of thunk it "dons cone of shame"

The enterprise stuff doesn't make sense if your sat at a desk make it so you can plug it into your mac, you can then ditch the battery and all the extra weight, or have a lighter headset, they show people using it with Disney and apple tv you better not spend to much time choosing what to watch with that battery life as any film over 2 hours you have to stop and charge your battery???

its holding all the weight at the front, and things like an extra screen to show other people your eyes should be jettisoned to reduce the weight. surprised their putting a priority on style over comfort When your essentially strapping a mac studio to your face, they needed to make it as light and comfortable as possible. it really feels like a prototype at present (the external battery feels like something left over from a dev build). Why have a battery pack on a wire when you could distribute the battery's over the strap to balance the thing better.
                                Last edited by Lebowski; 06-06-2023, 11:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X