Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5

A new Tony Hawk game is in development, the retired pro skateboarder has announced. Speaking on US radio yesterday, Haw…

Activision and Tony Hawk have confirmed a new Tony Hawks game is in the works now, Tony has been motion capturing but not much else is known at this point.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 05-05-2015, 17:05.

If doesn't have the charm, gameplay and arcade feel of the first 4, then I'm not interested. (Prefer the first 3, but the introduction of the revert made 4).

Comment

4 introduced a lot of mechanics that enriched the gameplay massively. Along with the more open structure of levels I feel it is the strongest entry in the franchise. 2 is my personal favourite though.

Either way, as DDJ says, unless they can capture what made Tony Hawks great I can't see this doing very well - especially with Skate around and getting pretty damn high praise from anyone that cares of Skateboarding. Never tried it myself though.

Comment

Did anyone actually like the **** where you could get off your board? I didn't, but am curious to see if it was popular. I also thought that they went way OTT with the difficulty of some of the later games - they were always tough but then they got daft.

Pro Skater HD wasn't bad but I still have little faith in them actually capturing the essence of the series and getting it right.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDonJoshua View Post
          If doesn't have the charm, gameplay and arcade feel of the first 4, then I'm not interested. (Prefer the first 3, but the introduction of the revert made 4).
          The revert was first in 3.

I felt that it became too difficult to master the levels when they were huge sprawling open worlds.
          I still enjoyed American wasteland and p8, but 3 was my fave.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            Did anyone actually like the **** where you could get off your board? I didn't, but am curious to see if it was popular. I also thought that they went way OTT with the difficulty of some of the later games - they were always tough but then they got daft.

Pro Skater HD wasn't bad but I still have little faith in them actually capturing the essence of the series and getting it right.
            As a young teenager when Underground came out I gave that game a miss but it was pretty damn popular amongst my friends. After Underground though they introduced Bam in Underground 2 and it just got too dumb, at least according to the majority of my friends. That said many were falling off of gaming altogether at that point.

In conclusion, I didn't like getting off of the board. The vehicles in Underground were awful too although I thought the sponsorship stuff wasn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              Did anyone actually like the **** where you could get off your board? I didn't, but am curious to see if it was popular.
              No I hated it. Took away the 'arcade feel' You know, 2 minutes - go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                The revert was first in 3.

I felt that it became too difficult to master the levels when they were huge sprawling open worlds.
                I still enjoyed American wasteland and p8, but 3 was my fave.
                Woops, you're right. It's been a while

Comment

I played up until 4. But there was a moment where these games all got muddy, Shaun Palmers Pro Snowboarding, Matt Hoffmans Pro BMX etc, kinda muddied the water and I started to steer clear of these types of game, SSX was out too, and then of course Skate came out. I occasionally play 3 (confused if I really had forgot, or didn't know about revert).

I always found the difficulty fair in the first few games, the last levels were always tough at first, but their was reward for the player in exploring and finding those runs which aren't clear at first. There was magic there, and in simple terms there is reward in a 2 minute session, kinda captures than one more go feeling of 50p namco arcade games.

The combos/tricks were easy to access; not a bad game really.

- I don't know how to multi quote - found out.

Comment

What we really need is a new Skate

Comment

Matt Hoffman came before a lot of those titles and was pretty good on its own merit but I do kinda agree. Lots of those games were nowhere near as good as the core games like Tony Hawk though.

You do make a fair point about the 2 minute sessions in the first 3 games but removing that for 4 felt really refreshing and being able to hit start, press down once and select the "retry goal" option made clearing challenges less stressful and easier to manage. I really love THPS4, excellent game.

Comment

Let's not forget BMX XXX; I honestly believe a lot of my loss of in these types of games was the crap that Tony hawks got surrounded by. There was definitely a need for Tony Hawk games to adapt and change and removal of the 2 minute cap, to have open worlds was an okay idea, but it wasn't for me in the long run.

The 'create your own park' feature! that got some serious time out of me, loved that. Think I did that most in 4, on the cube.

There was also the rewards, unlocking Wolverine in 3(?) was something I remember loving, and it seems like a such a simple thing but grinding over a ledge to unlock a secret area is a really cool idea. I hope that kind of stuff is in the latest iteration.

Comment

The Dave Mirra games were much better than the Matt Hoffman ones. The Hoffman games mostly just felt like the Tony Hawk games with a BMX rendered in place of a skateboard. The soundtrack to Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 was utterly amazing too.

Comment

You really don't know how good a console is until you've (gone/played a) skateboarding (with/game on) it.

Comment

Well, ahem, I.......

I just want another Skate game. The series was awesome & complete different game. Compared to the toss that THPS turned into, it was a simulation in many ways.
                              It 'd be nice if we could finally have those Kinect Controls promised when the Kinect was first announced.

I can safely say, without skating with it, that it'll be greatest Skate ever!!

Comment

Working...
                              X