Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    It's rather brown.
    In their defense, Mars is know as the red planet. So reddish-brown tints are not entirely unjustified.

Comment

Everything known so far:

• The game is simply titled 'Doom' and will tell the origins of the franchise.
      • The story begins outside a research facility on Mars.
      • Enemies include mechanical, corrupt hell knights.
      • Guns will range from conventional to comically huge, including a giant double-barreled shotgun.
      • An emphasis will be placed on classic first-person run-and-gun gameplay.
      • Doom will run on idTech 6 and Bethesda claims it will support 1080p, 60 frames per second.
      • Enemies can be taken down by stunning them and stomping their faces in.
      • Outside-the-box thinking will be used for certain areas, such as ripping off a corpse's arm and using it on a handprint scanner.
      • Demons can likewise rip off your own limbs and beat you to death with them.
      • There appears to be no regenerating health.
      • Small enemies will swarm the player in large numbers. The demo concluded with the large demon from the debut trailer.
      Hand thing sounds cool and in all honesty I'm looking forward to playing something more straightforward again - was reminded of this when playing through Singularity. Simplicity is best sometimes. With Rage id really tried to complicate what should have been such a simple game.
      Last edited by Kit; 21-07-2014, 05:46.

Comment

I wonder if already it's sounding too elaborate. I feel that Doom needs to be very streamlined.

Comment

• Enemies can be taken down by stunning them and stomping their faces in.
          • Outside-the-box thinking will be used for certain areas, such as ripping off a corpse's arm and using it on a handprint scanner.
          • Demons can likewise rip off your own limbs and beat you to death with them.
          I'm intrigued by the last bullet point, although I fear that it will boil down to a death animation after a failed QTE, with the first two points implemented as specific on-screen prompts.

Comment

Argh, I want leaked footage godammit! Need to see this, no way I'll play this on a console so will need to save up for a new laptop potentially!

Comment

I don't know why 1080p/60fps is such a big deal to people.

The original had blocky, pixelated graphics and 2D monsters, but still scared the living daylights out of us!
              Just make the game solid, but scary, please!

Comment

I don't know why 1080p/60fps is such a big deal to people.

The original had blocky, pixelated graphics and 2D monsters, but still scared the living daylights out of us
                C'Mon back in Doom day 256 colours were enough . I don't want to go back to those sorts of days and I really can't understand how anyone could find Doom scary at all myself sorry .

Comment

Playing with the lights out and headphones on was scary, even today the sh1t would make me at least jump I'm sure. It's not condemned level scary anymore though.

Comment

Decent level design, nice looks, solid gunplay. All this needs for me. I always enjoyed the Doom series but their 'thing' was being at the forefront of the early FPS genre. In reality they're obscenely basic run and gun games for the most part. That's perfectly fine too, hopefully ID take a gung ho approach to it as it's when Doom got notions of having any real story or grander place that it started slipping. Certainly the teaser hits the right tone.

Comment

The level design for Doom 1 and 2 are more sophisticated than the majority of FPS games these days, as long as it stays that way and doesn't turn into a linear corridor shooter I don't think they can fail.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still amazed at the secret levels I discover playing Doom 2. ID really did put some work into the level design.

Comment

DooM is scary because of the fear of dying and starting the level all over again. Something sadly forgotten today. Utterly amazing and in PS1 form, wonderfully atmospheric.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            C'Mon back in Doom day 256 colours were enough . I don't want to go back to those sorts of days and I really can't understand how anyone could find Doom scary at all myself sorry .
                            Doom is still frightening in this day and age, it plays with lighting, audio and level design perfectly, creating a brilliant tension.

You run into a room and just as you cross an area, the lights turn off and a hidden door opens that throws enemies at you. Doom is still a classic example at how you build tension and then release it at the perfect moment.

Comment

Yeah, and like resident Evil theres that moment when you start finding loads of guns and ammo and you're like "What the fook is waiting for me once I go past this door?!?!!"

Comment

Doom 1 & 2 are still brilliant games today, amazing that id got almost everything so right so early on. And like Naka said, they are still scary when you crank up the difficulty and don't save-spam.

Comment

Working...
                                X