No announcement yet.

Tekken 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remember seeing screens of this demo in Edge magazine and being blown away?

Comment

double post

Comment

Wow, memories.... The final game never quite ended up looking that good...

I remember having a VHS tape with the Tag embu as the 'trailer' of sorts, and the final game was close but not quite the same. Still was a looker though. Even the Japanese version with it's extra jaggies...

Comment

Eh? I was sure the final version looked superior not inferior to the demo?

Comment

Am I imagining things when I say that PS2 Tekken Tag had flat backgrounds and that trailer had full 3D backgrounds?

Comment

The character models were marginally better, and the backgrounds were full 3D.

That being said, I think Tekken 4 looks better than that demo.

EDIT: Sony were notorious for bull**** adverts back then, though. They often ran their games in them at accelerated speeds so they looked a bit like 60fps. The early PS2 adverts for Gran Turismo looked far better than the final game. Really, the early PS3 stuff was just the norm; only it was the first time the internet made them regret their bull****.
              Last edited by Asura; 16-07-2014, 16:23.

Comment

Unbelievably I've just found the entire VHS tape on youtube and you can still tell the character models are better then the final...

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                  It was completely different. It was pretty fun but far less refined.
                  Pretty much spot on, a proto Powerstone without the item throwing. The other problem for Ehrgeiz was the psx couldn't handle the arcade graphics and size of the maps, everything got downgraded to keep the frame-rate, still it have some great characters like the Prince Naseem and Sasuke.

Seemed after Tobal2, DreamFactory when on a downward spiral, crimson tears was alright, UFC was pretty good and Kakuto Chojin was the Tobal gameplay with the grapple system removed, speed up so the hit detection was all wonky(and very evident on slow replays for last hit), stilli enjoyed that game enough to write an FAQ

If SE could get Tobal no1, Tobal2(translated), Ehrgeiz arcade, Bushido Blade and The Bouncer together in a anniversary package I'd be all over that.

Comment

Looks the same to me.

Comment

The final tekken tag game looked miles better than that. The level you fight in with the grass looks amazing to my eyes still.

I think they should go back to a darker simpler style like in that tag demo for 7. Also, I don't like the 'bulky' look of the character models in later games. It looks ****.

Less colour, more grit, less fat character models.

Thank me later Namco.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        The character models were marginally better, and the backgrounds were full 3D.

That being said, I think Tekken 4 looks better than that demo.

EDIT: Sony were notorious for bull**** adverts back then, though. They often ran their games in them at accelerated speeds so they looked a bit like 60fps. The early PS2 adverts for Gran Turismo looked far better than the final game. Really, the early PS3 stuff was just the norm; only it was the first time the internet made them regret their bull****.
                        GT3 looks miles better than GT 2000 ! Yes the car models crap all over it and the backgrounds and lighting are far better. The only issue is the resolution of magazine images.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                          GT3 looks miles better than GT 2000 ! Yes the car models crap all over it and the backgrounds and lighting are far better. The only issue is the resolution of magazine images.
                          I'll be honest, I made an assumption as I was at work and couldn't see the video - thought I knew which one it was. As it happens, it's not the one I remember.

I recall a TV advert that showed a car driving in a race, and the driver stops to do donuts in the puddles because the water effects look so amazing. That's the early PS2 one I recall as looking much better than the final game. For starters, it made GT look interesting as opposed accurate.

Comment

Be interested to see that. See if you can dig it out sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Lucifer View Post
                              Ehrgeiz was the only game I played of that square fighters - looked rubbish on the PS1 - but I think on arcade it's actually quite a looker for the time.

I fired up some Tekken Tag HD on my PS3 today, man I love Tag (ditto someone else mentioning Arcade version being the best though not entirely sure what the difference is...) It's still a great fighter, shame there's no version with some sort of online mode... I am getting excited for Tekken 7 - really hoping for some sort of return to form.
                              Difference for me is that I was used to the Arcade version. The Ps2 version had better character models, but the animations were still System 12. That looked somewhat odd to me. I expected much more from the PS2.

Also the PAL version was ****e and the JP version was full of jaggies. The US version was the way to go.

Comment

Yes, us version was the only one worth bothering withtif you rich enough to have 2 ps2s or a chipped one

I can't believe you thought the ps2 version looked odd? It seriously blew me away upon release. I'd seen the arcade version a only handful of times before that but remember thinking it was tekken 3 on roids. It wasn't until the ps2 version that I fully appreciated it.

Comment

Working...
                                X