PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    Another day, another Steam Deck killer: https://www.engadget.com/ayaneo-air-...163047036.html
    That looks like a nice piece of kit. but "Ayaneo Air Plus costs $790 for early birds before it eventually retails for $979" OOF!

Comment

That's the prices these things are when they're not subsidised in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        That's the prices these things are when they're not subsidised in any way.
        I`m really surprised Epic hasn't taken advantage and partnered with one of these handheld makers.

Comment

Probably because it would be difficult to make the Epic Store exclusive on an open platform - I wouldn't buy a handheld PC that only had access to the Epic Store.

Comment

missed opportunities, this thing will be forgotten in no time.

Comment

I was digging about in the Starfield pre-load and couldn't see anything, and it looks like this is confirmed by others, but it seems that there will not be developer support in the game for DLSS 2.0: https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/nvidia-dlss

However, the modder Pure-Dark who's implemented DLSS in other DX12 games (and this supports DX12) reckons he'll have it up and running quickly as he can reuse 90% of the code and only needs to hook into some of the DX12 calls - which shows just how ridiculous not have native support for tech is (all because it looks like AMD is actively preventing).

Shame on AMD.

Comment

AMDlol. All the more reason to wait for mods. A DLSS 2.0 mod will make the PC version look and certainly perform infinitely better than any other platform for the next forever.

Comment

Yeah I don't get the exclusive support for FSR when both are fairly simple to implement and the market supports both (with DLSS the currently preferred).

Obviously AMD have marketing deals in place as they've got branded GPU cards etc... but not supporting DLSS is a joke.

Comment

The whole situation with DLSS/FSR's handling is becoming tiresome, it just needs to be a pretty standardised feature rather than a marketing tool used to promote new cards that are simultaneously sold on the basis of being so powerful they shouldn't need it. It's a leg up when your card is struggling.

Comment

So with recently getting a 4060 decided need to upgrade my rig, have a 8086k (basically a variation on the 8700k) and not looking to get the best of the best but something a decent upgrade been looking at 13400f from intel and 7600 from Amd though could go back a bit like the 12600k from intel and 5600k amd but still wondering about the ddr4 and ddr5 differences as i will look to upgrade my ram regardless

Comment

I'd go with DDR5, no point in going with DDR4 now the prices for DDR5 have significantly dropped - DDR4 is quicker in certain workloads & I've found the DDR5 isn't quite as stable (although BIOS releases have improved this of late), but If you go the AM5 route, you've not really got any choice but to upgrade.

DDR5 has a faster transfer rate overall, lower power consumption and will allow for higher capacities.

Comment

I still think you should return the 4060.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            I still think you should return the 4060.
                            Ahh probably but the price i got it for and that i am still at 1080p and comparing benchmarks and power consumption felt it would be grand...though i do realize if i get a new processor and motherboard probably going to need to upgrade the power supply lol

Comment

For the CPUs you've listed I'd doubt it, unless it's a trash PSU - the 8086K will be consuming more power, both of those are 65W parts, with the 4060 if the whole system was consuming more than 300W I'd be surprised.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 22-08-2023, 17:41.

Comment

Half Life 2 is getting the RTX treatment
                                Half-Life 2 RTX delivers a new way to experience Valve's classic, using cutting-edge rendering tech to bring the game to life in a way never before possible...

Comment

Working...
                                X