No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a Ryzen 3600 would be a good starting point. Something at least 6 cores / 12 threads. On a 2600 myself and feeling confident going into this next generation.

Comment

Thanks, i figured something like that. If i bite the bullet on it I'll maybe try for 8 cores just to match the consoles. My i5 6600k 4 core is def gonna hold a new card back then.

Comment

Yeah I don't think that's a bad idea at all.

Comment

I'm on an i7 8700k OC'd up to 5GHz. I think I might be alright for a couple more years.

Comment

Just a tad. 8700K was a steal when it was being sold for 300.

Comment

I’m on a 3600. Not cpu bound on anything yet. Would get the 8 core if I was buying now though yeah

Comment

6 Core Xeon E5-1660 from 2012 here Havn't seen it stressed out yet tbh, CPU's can last for years.

Comment

I'm going Ryzen next, regardless.

Comment

Just watched the DF preview. 3080 is approx 80% better than 2080 and 2x better at ray tracing. Can't see AMD topping or even matching this.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Just watched the DF preview. 3080 is approx 80% better than 2080 and 2x better at ray tracing. Can't see AMD topping or even matching this.
                      Big moves with DLSS, too. A.I. cleaning up way beyond even native 4K.

Comment

Interested in how it powers through things like RDR2's higher settings too, games that were somewhat set up to stretch graphical legs in the longer term. I don't doubt the 30XX series are good performers but the % improvement over the 20XX series is hard to quantify too much as the 20XX series was a bit of a letdown out the gate. Seems like the 30XX series gets a lot right but I'm keen to see in real conditions how much it translates to.

Comment

These new cards are a nice surprise, albeit still more expensive than previous gen cards (9xx, 10xx series etc.), however some of that is the poor exchange rates. The 3070 is a beast of a card and at £450 is a compelling option even if the 3080 might be better performance sweet spot. PCIe Gen 4 is going to make a big difference.

From a personal perspective atm I just don't need anything beyond my current 1070-based laptop but this is making me think about whether both consoles next year does make sense.

Comment

Lenovo hat im Rahmen des großen Ampere-Reveals den Legion T7 Komplett-PC vorgestellt, welcher mit einer Geforce RTX 3070 Ti ausgestattet ist.

Lenovo have leaked that a RTX3070Ti is inbound that has 16GB VRam

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidi...chtet-1357337/
                              Lenovo have leaked that a RTX3070Ti is inbound that has 16GB VRam
                              It would seem likely there's going to be a RTX 3080Ti as well then - maybe hold off for a few weeksbefore parting with that cash (it'll also allow for the reviewers to disect the cards).

That said. I was happy enough with a GTX1080 bought at launch and didn't really feel the need to upgrade it when the 1080Ti arrived - might put the 1080 in this board once I upgrade to a RTX3XXXX card

Last edited by MartyG; 02-09-2020, 15:53.

Comment

Surely all of that extra VRAM is only really needed for VR sims and such?

Great for MSFS, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X