No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be wrong but memory has it that its called something like a Super Flower Gold 650W? I installed it when a power surge took out its predecessor and its pushing an i7 4770K on a PICE 3.0 board that I can overclock but I have that disabled as I've never needed it

Comment

According to the specs, that PSU has a 12V line rated at 54.1A so you've more than enough power to cover the 320 TDP of the RTX3080 with the i7, well unless you're running hundreds of 12V ARGB LED strips.

I can't see the i7 being a huge bottleneck, it's a perfectly capable CPU, even though it's 6 odd years old, IIRC they still ran around 4GHz turbod and it'll overclock higher without needing to increase voltages (I have one in Z97 board OCd to 4.2GHz).

Comment

That's good to know. I know what I'm like and I feel like me getting any of the new hardware releases on day one is unlikely so I'm trying to think of them as a new year thing when demand calms down but if opportunity strikes then I can get something and temptation would probably win out If it's anything like the GTX1080 days (I ended up with mine at launch but a FE model via ebay for a bit extra) I imagine the wait could be some time

Comment

Assuming stock of the 3080 etc sells out on the 17th, how long would it typically be till they were available again?

Comment

If it's anything like the launch the GTX1080 they were still struggling with stock after the initial batch for a few months.

Comment

That adds to my sixth sense that'll I'll end up with no new hardware console or otherwise till 2021. Ah well, good job no next gen games are coming out

Comment

Cards are getting listed on the PC retailers now

No prices for the 3rd party cards yet though and you still can't pre-order them.

Comment

New AMD cards being announced soon so i read.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    New AMD cards being announced soon so i read.
                    Yeah, their Zen 3 CPUs, too. First week of October.

Comment

I got an x570 board in anticipation. Got a ryzen 5 and. 3600 XT in there currently but might get myself some zen 3 shizzle depending on how it improves vr

Comment

Nvidia are said to be imminently close to buying ARM for $40bn

Comment

Makes sense. X86 architecture will probably become less relevant as time goes on. Apple are switching to arm in their computers I think.

Comment

Will cost a arm and a leg but will be a shot in the arm for them

Comment

Certainly wouldn't do them much 'arm.

Comment

That's it, Nvidia has caused waves by buying ARM

Comment

Working...
                                X