No announcement yet.

Xbox One : Thread 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need to remove the dependence on Live of things like Netflix and youtube so that they continue to work if Live is down. This would make everyone a lot happier because the kids can still view stuff.
    Last edited by charlesr; 02-01-2015, 18:10.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      They need to remove the dependence on Live of things like Netflix and youtube so that they continue to work if Live is down. This would make everyone a lot happier because the kids can still view stuff.
      Well no not at all because both of those services are streaming only so depend entirely on a network connection and are also both outside of Microsoft's jurisdiction. There's always Plex or media player on Xbox One if your WAN is down. I was using Plex all over Xmas when live was down

Comment

Its strange how Netflix doesn't work when live is down but is literally the only thing that still works when PSN is down.

Comment

Ah ok my bad I get what you mean now. I thought you meant running those services offline.

Comment

Yeah, Live, not internet. If Live goes down, everything stops working even though if you do all the same stuff on any other device in your house, they all work because they just go straight to the internet.

Comment

I just got an Xbox one and straight from the box it's a wonderful machine so welcome me into the club! I think the build quality and design is better than the PS4, actually. The PS4 controller is much better, though, as it fits in my hand better.

My biggest gripe with the One, as of now is that if I change the location to Finland, the machine's language is locked to Finnish and the Kinect, with its commands, is completely useless! I think that's completely ridiculous. So, every time I want to get something from the Microsoft store, I need to change the location to Finland, and then I change the location back to US for full functionality. OK, the Kinect commands might be a nice gimmick but they are fun at the beginning. I just feel it doesn't register every command correctly? I say "Xbox go to Movies" and it goes to Music? I'm a native English speaker with an American accent so that shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Calibration is really important, it doesn't make it clear, but when it asks you to turn up your volume louder than normal, turn it up as loud as it will go, if it say it's too loud then turn it down a little more. Keep going until it works with your speakers as loud as possible.

Lots of people have been wanting alternative language options, but they've still not done it. One option is to leave it on the US setting and then make your purchases from xbox.com on a different web browser. The store region on the website is independent to the region on your console. Although this is awkward if you want to use the EPG on one guide, as you won't be able to access your TV settings once you switch across.

There is a definite cadence that I need to speak with to have all voice commands register, I find I have to speak a little deeper than I normally would. I'm not sure if that is due to the distance that I am from the TV or my voice, but I find it works really well for the most part.

Comment

Is it locked? I had the same problem here in Australia where my Welsh accent wasn't getting picked up but about six months ago they added the ability to change voice in the settings independent of region. I've now got mine set to Australia region but UK voice.

If it is locked and annoying you perhaps try using smartglass for store purchases and leave the console as U.S.?

Comment

So locked that it's annoying. This is probably the first device in history that has this type of language locking system.

Where should I do my purchases from? Online from the Web? Do you guys buy your games from the US xbox store and use code credit i.e., digitally import?

Also, Games with gold has more to offer on the US store but I can't purchase them without a US credit card registered on the system.
                    Last edited by danholo; 04-01-2015, 12:54.

Comment

You can buy USD (from e.g. www.gamepointsnow.com) and load them via the code. And then purchase from xbox.com

Comment

I've been doing a few tests with the external hard drive option on the Xbox One now we can do this. I've put a Seagate 1TB Hybrid Drive in a USB 3.0 caddy and saved 20 seconds off GTA V boot loading times over the stock hard drive! Also when you change character and you zoom out the map it loads quicker too.

For those that don't know, these Hybrid Drives are kind of a mixture in technology between a standard HDD and a Solid State HDD but retain a high volume in capacity.

Gonna try a few more tests now.

Comment

I bought one of these

It's the fastest external USB drive you can currently get, it's actually 2 drives in RAID. 4TB too, so more than enough for the time being!
                          I'm sure there have been a few tests that show even basic external drives have an improvement over running from the internal drive.

Comment

Yeah digital foundry did some videos.

I'm using my hybrid drive from my laptop as I've upgraded it to a full SSD. I'm well impressed with how SSD drives improve windows boot up.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                              Yeah digital foundry did some videos.

I'm using my hybrid drive from my laptop as I've upgraded it to a full SSD. I'm well impressed with how SSD drives improve windows boot up.
                              i cannot wait for the day when we get 4tb+ ssd at a decent price

Comment

Yeah I'd imagine in 6 years or so next generation systems will use them now the prices are starting to drop a little. A Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD will still set you back about ?500 though!
                                Last edited by MarioMark; 04-01-2015, 22:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X