No announcement yet.

Xbox One : Thread 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems clear to me that MS are moving away from XBox as their gaming solution. Their SDKs are making it possible to make games that run on phone, tablet, PC and XBox. Previously announced XBox One exclusives are now PC as well. MS are well positioned to create this ecosystem; better than anyone else in fact. XBox and PC gaming = Microsoft Gaming. I also think they are sensible not to get involved in VR out the gate.

Comment

Think it would be a poor move and reminds me of the Wii/Wii U marketing problem straight off, though as long as all Xbox One games are compatible with any version of the hardware that will alleviate some of it.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        If you have to fork out ?350 every 2 years to stay up to speed, you may as well get a PC because it will be cheaper (cheaper parts, cheaper games).
        I don't fork out to keep my PC up to speed. Well, certainly not every 2 years. I think it's just that there'll be an option for people. MS won't want to drop the price of their only console too much as it'll make it look inferior to Sony. But, if they have more than one version then they could do just that. It's an experiment for sure though; hard to tell how it'll pan out.

Comment

I'm getting a message for Netflix and plex about inserting the disc.... For all my digital download games.

Comment

"Consoles lock the hardware and the software platforms together at the beginning of the generation. Then you ride the generation out for seven or so years, while other ecosystems are getting better, faster, stronger,"

Comment

Cool jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                That simple adapter would need to be a new CPU/GPU and ram. That's called a whole new machine, which is what the upgrades will be
                I'm all for RAM upgrades . A new CPU and GPU is just daft and will never work .

Comment

Yep, the hardware's not keeping up, that's *definitely* the problem.

Comment

The thing is that there isn't really anything wrong with the hardware. Massive visual leaps between gens just aren't a thing anymore and whilst the PS4 and XBO aren't cutting edge next to what a top tier gaming PC can do it isn't an issue for consoles as new releases on PC don't depend on god tier visuals anyway. The only reasonable expectation of a Super PS4 of Mega XBO would be faster loading times, better textures and 4K support. However the console would then cost a fortune just to appeal to the tiny market that has 4K and even thoe would then complain about the state of the framerates. Not to mention having to trade in for a Super PS4 XL 18 months later to iron out the frames issues and get sub standard 8K support.

If MS really wants out of the standard console model they'd be as broad as long to drop Xbox all together and double down on PC solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      If MS really wants out of the standard console model they'd be as broad as long to drop Xbox all together and double down on PC solutions.
                      I don't see that's what they want . They making money off the X Box One and XBL so can't see them dropping the console model at all. Just seems to me they want to use the XBox game line IP to help their PC and Mobile markets . I rather see the console market get back to new console every 5 years myself , that said in 10 years time I bet it the cloud that's doing most of the work and we'll have to buy a new set top box every few years or so .

4K support would just be silly given the sales for the TV's just aren't there and 4k seems out of date with LG showing off 8k TV's lol

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        The only reasonable expectation of a Super PS4 of Mega XBO would be faster loading times, better textures and 4K support. However the console would then cost a fortune just to appeal to the tiny market that has 4K and even thoe would then complain about the state of the framerates.
                        One of the traditional benefits of consoles was that their hardware was cutting edge and prohibitively expensive to make at launch so the cost was factored over the life of the console when production costs would reduce over time.

I won't be paying more for a unit to play games on than the cost of a mid range GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                          One of the traditional benefits of consoles was that their hardware was cutting edge and prohibitively expensive to make at launch so the cost was factored over the life of the console when production costs would reduce over time.

I won't be paying more for a unit to play games on than the cost of a mid range GPU.
                          This generation, none of the machines have been cutting edge, so the hardware cost issues must be somewhat lower than previous times.
                          Last edited by EvilBoris; 02-03-2016, 18:21.

Comment

I can see both sides of this... They need a static platform where PC is way too fluid.

That doesn't mean it will be a terrible idea to have a new hardware revision every say... two years? Much like going up a revision in iPhone etc... But the OS and functionality is identical bar the power on tap.

If they went all in that isn't going to work. You might as well get a pc.

As for price upgrades each time. Maybe they'll use a subscription model? 24 month plan etc... With gold included.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                              Maybe they'll use a subscription model? 24 month plan etc... With gold included.
                              Did you know they tried exactly that a few years back with the 360?

Comment

This will simply annoy every single party. Console gamers won't stand for ?300-400 fork outs every few years. PC gamers won't stand for not being able to do whatever they want with the hardware.

Another super idea from MS.

Also, can we just forget about 4K games for the good time being please. Devs and console makers can't even lock games to 1080p & 60fps.
                                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 02-03-2016, 20:03.

Comment

Working...
                                X