Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't buy them in the first place, with occasional exception (SE). I'll put this somewhere and keep the boxes seperately.
    Last edited by speedlolita; 21-10-2014, 11:58.

Comment

Yes, I always do that with LEs too (when I buy them, which is almost never these days). Otherwise you just make the box all dog eared if you have to go into it every time you want to play the game.

Comment

I enjoy thinking about throwing away console boxes but at the end of the day I still have all the boxes for my PC components wasting space in my room too..

Comment

I did keep boxes because I was a student and thought they'd come in handy if I was reselling but these days I just buy things I won't ever get rid of and now I'm working it seems more effort than it's worth selling/trading stuff anyway.

Quick question though... My basic Wii U is running out of space, they removed the SD Card functionality the Wii had and it's all USB HDDs now but they don't sell an official one, would a USB thumbdrive thing work so I don't need the power supply for a HDD or do computers know the difference between a proper HDD and thumbdrive?
          Last edited by Pikate; 21-10-2014, 12:11.

Comment

There will be a massive different in transfer rates. I suppose you could potentially get a thumbdrive with fair transfer rates (a decent quality one), but even with the HDD you're limited to USB 2.0 speeds I guess.

Comment

No difference between an HDD or a thumb drive, feel free to use either.

Speedy you need to chuck your lesser boxes! Just keep the videogame ones.

Comment

Didn't even think of speed, surely the thumbdive would be okay for VC games and to storing updates/saves of games I'm done with?

It's really confusing actually, Nintendo don't explain it well or offer an official/plug-in solution like you could buy for X360. I'd just upgrade to a 32GB console but they don't sell a white one AFAIK and to transfer my content/account would be a pain in the ass.

Any recommendations for a decent thumbdrive?
                Last edited by Pikate; 21-10-2014, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Speedy you need to chuck your lesser boxes! Just keep the videogame ones.
                  I have about three motherboard boxes.. lol

Also nice FAQ on the matter here. Link.

Can I use a Flash/Thumb drive as an external storage device?
                  • Because these devices have a limited number of rewrites and are not suited to long-term storage of important game data, we do not recommend the use of Flash/thumb drives as an external storage device solution. For best results, we recommend using a hard drive with its own power supply that connects to the Wii U via the USB port on the console.
                  • Commercial Flash memory has a limit on the number of times you can write over it and we don't recommend flash memory devices for long-term storage of important save data.
                  Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                  Didn't even think of that. It's really confusing, Nintendo don't explain it well or offer an official/plug-in solution like you could buy for 360. I'd just upgrade to a 32GB console but they don't sell a white one AFAIK and to transfer my content/account would be a pain in the ass.
                  Any external HDD solution will work just fine. The kind you would find in PC World for example. To save needing an external power source I'd look at external 2.5" HDDs myself.

Here's a rather fetching one in white that would match your Wii U kinda. Link.
                  Last edited by speedlolita; 21-10-2014, 12:22.

Comment

My email dispatch for my Bayonetta first print edition came too. Wouldn't usually order the but LE's, but, you know - Bayonetta

Comment

Supposedly GAME hold onto stuff despite that message until Thursday? Even so, if it comes on time Friday I'll be happy.

Comment

They sent an email earlier this week saying they were processing the orders and taking the money from today- but you'd have them on release day.

Just got to hope it will fit through the letterbox now :|

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                          They sent an email earlier this week saying they were processing the orders and taking the money from today- but you'd have them on release day.

Just got to hope it will fit through the letterbox now :|
                          Yeah I got that same e-mail. To say they're shipping today kinda creates a false expectation though. I should be in Friday so I can intercept the postie.

Comment

Would that be alright? 16GB for ?4.29 is pretty decent value and should be enough space since Speedy's link says my Basic has 3GB for storage and that's holding a fair ammount of content as it is. I just reckon Super Smash will see a crap load of updates and hefty save files and MK8 DLC says it's going to need about 1GB of free space (not sure if that's to download and it'll erase the existing update which is in the 100s of MBs) but that alone will push me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-THNU...3894134&sr=1-7

Would that be alright? 16GB for ?4.29 is pretty decent value and should be enough space since Speedy's link says my Basic has 3GB for storage and that's holding a fair ammount of content as it is. I just reckon Super Smash will see a crap load of updates and hefty save files and MK8 DLC says it's going to need about 1GB of free space (not sure if that's to download and it'll erase the existing update which is in the 100s of MBs) but that alone will push me.
                              That would work fine from what I can see

The only issue is - like the link says- they aren't supposedly as reliable for data long term- but it would certainly work.

Comment

Would certainly take longer than a HDD but would probably be okay.

Comment

Working...
                                X