Street Fighter V (PS4/PC exclusive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    That's always been the way of Street Fighter when you think about it, no?

The character changes from SF to SF2-era to SF3-era to SF4-era were all similarly significant.

Possibly SF EX-era and SF Zero/Alpha-era are the exceptions to this.
    The character design has remained roughly the same, but the art style of the various games is as different as it could be, whilst retaining the fundamental identifying factors that made it Street Fighter.

Really, those 4/5 comparison shots are practically identical compared to the massive shift in visual tone and style that happened...

From 1 to 2
    From 2 to Alpha
    From Alpha to 3
    From 3 to 4

And in-between, Capcom vs SNK had a very different look too.

I mean 2vs3...

Comment

And I hate myself for it, but I still got goosebumps during that trailer.

Comment

Last time that happened was the original Super Street Fighter IV trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Last time that happened was the original Super Street Fighter IV trailer.
          I KNOW RIGHT

Ibuki! On the scene!
          Get on the dance floor... Get on the dance floor...
          FIGHTING WITH CONVICTION LEADS TO VICTORY
          THE POWER OF BUSHINRYU WILL BE MY QUILL
          I'LL SHOW YOU JUST HOW STRONG I AM!
          WHEN THE SUN RISES... THE WARRIOR SHALL BEGIN THE JOURNEY ANEW

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            The character design has remained roughly the same, but the art style of the various games is as different as it could be, whilst retaining the fundamental identifying factors that made it Street Fighter.

Really, those 4/5 comparison shots are practically identical compared to the massive shift in visual tone and style that happened...

From 1 to 2
            From 2 to Alpha
            From Alpha to 3
            From 3 to 4

And in-between, Capcom vs SNK had a very different look too.

I mean 2vs3...

I don't dispute any of that. I guess the point I was making was that later SF games have portrayed Ryu, Ken and co. looking significantly older in terms of their artwork - Peep Ryu's baby-face in the SFII WW player select screen and then look at his defined face and stubble in SFII CE and onwards, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I KNOW RIGHT

Ibuki! On the scene!
              Get on the dance floor... Get on the dance floor...
              FIGHTING WITH CONVICTION LEADS TO VICTORY
              THE POWER OF BUSHINRYU WILL BE MY QUILL
              I'LL SHOW YOU JUST HOW STRONG I AM!
              WHEN THE SUN RISES... THE WARRIOR SHALL BEGIN THE JOURNEY ANEW
              I could watch it right now and still be hype.

So good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                I don't dispute any of that. I guess the point I was making was that later SF games have portrayed Ryu, Ken and co. looking significantly older in terms of their artwork - Peep Ryu's baby-face in the SFII WW player select screen and then look at his defined face and stubble in SFII CE and onwards, for example.
                Yeah, true. I really liked the way Ryu and Ken had visibly aged in SF3.

Then again, SF3 had quite a rocky life. People talk about it very fondly, but when they say SF3 they tend to just mean "Third Strike". The first version really tried to push Axel as the main character, with most of the designs being quite new, and Ryu/Ken being the only true returning characters. Capcom presumably lost faith in this idea, because by the time we got to Third Strike, Akuma and Chun Li had made a comeback, along with Remy who was "inspired" by Guile.

I mean I love Third Strike, think it's a great game, but I've always felt there was a bit of a "disconnect" between the ethos of "A New Generation" and "Third Strike" (the second one was quite similar to the first, by comparison).

Comment

New Generation and Second Impact are rough. Interesting that they were both released in 1997 and Third Strike comes out in 1999, you can really see the work they put in, presumably from the feedback they recieved from those revisions.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    New Generation and Second Impact are rough. Interesting that they were both released in 1997 and Third Strike comes out in 1999, you can really see the work they put in, presumably from the feedback they recieved from those revisions.
                    They had charm at the time though. I remember the first time I saw them running; the animation looked amazing. It still looks great now.

Comment

This is the same team as SF4. I agree about the art style, but I kinda liked 4 and the more grown up version of 4 which is what 5 is. I played the game quite a bit and it's very good, but its very defensive and limited especially after coming from 3S. So long as they give you a few more tools to play with it'll be very good.

Lets also put it into perspective folks, we had a really barren period after 3S. At least we're getting more another one, it could be worse and could be the death of fighting games all over again...

Comment

I'll probably still be playing Third Strike in 20 years anyway.

Comment

Ultra Street Fighter 4 will launch on PlayStation 4 in spring 2015, Sony has announced. All DLC costumes are included.A…

Ultra Street Fighter 4 out on PS4 in Spring 2015

UPDATE: Capcom has announced Street Fighter 5 at Sony's PlayStation Experience event after yesterday's leak.The trailer…

Also, sequels, PC port and updates aside, SFV is a full on PS4 console exclusive rather than just a timed exclusive. XBO-Denied.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            I absolutely hated the art of IV and V is virtually the same. No doubting the game and glad SF is so huge again but I have little personal interest.
                            My thoughts exactly. I know these games will play great but Street Fighter has become an eye sore artistically. Nothing makes sense, there's no visual cues ala Nintendo games, Valve games (basically the top tier) it's just a mess. It needs a massive overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                              but its very defensive and limited especially after coming from 3S. So long as they give you a few more tools to play with it'll be very good.
                              I haven't come from 3S but I always had the same sort of impression about SF4 coming from other fighters like VF and KOF and so did others who played them. Defensive, limited, slow are not things I'm keen on. Agree also about the art style I never liked that either. I'm surprised at how similar the character models look and with the same animations carried over too especially since this is exclusive to PC and a new console. The stage looked quite impressive though and the added effects. The gameplay does now look like it could be a lot more interesting than before. Guard breaks and air combos among other things.

Comment

they just showed it on the capcom stream (damn my insomnia ) not sure what to make of it depends on how good the actual players were with that game .

funny moment where chunli was knocked through a wall and into a pantry i think and bowl of noodles landed on her head and started the next round with the bowl still on her head

Gameplay seemed pretty slow but what i really liked is the blows really looked and sounded like they made impact also seems the combo system is a bit more over the top with bigger juggles and chains (though i suspect that will change) also there is a revenge bar under the health (not sure what that does) and it appeared that in a cutscene there was a character that looked like charlie from alpha though was hard to tell

Comment

Working...
                                X